If Jennifer Lawrence Can't Open a Movie, Who Can?

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I have a theory on why Magnificent 7 flopped, The only heroes that survived were North American non whites.....audience wasn't too cool with that.
Thought that was common knowledge:russ: as they rode out at the end i said the anti-sjw crowd arent going to like this

qwasi

Rhinestone Cowboy
Daps
Jennifer Lawrence succeeding was an anomaly in the first place! A one dimensional actress whose success of teen movies catapulted her stock too fast. Hollywood bombarded the public with her and wanted so badly to paint her as the spearhead of the new generation actresses. She should have gone into more indie/coming of age films where her personality could flourish away from masses. Right now when I hear Jennifer Lawrence I imagine a slow, boring performance in a script that is too demanding of her AND overzealous promotions. There are enough female actress who can become leading ladies. For instance The Hollywood Redhead: Christina Hendricks, Amy Adams, Jessica Chastain. I'd add Emily Blunt in the mix. These are polished actress who could have played any post Hunger Games. Of upcoming young actress Sasoirse Ronan is slowly honing her craft where she can become a household name. Jeniffer Lawrence is just one step above Cara Delevigne which is hardly saying much in terms of skill.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
Jennifer Lawrence succeeding was an anomaly in the first place! A one dimensional actress whose success of teen movies catapulted her stock too fast. Hollywood bombarded the public with her and wanted so badly to paint her as the spearhead of the new generation actresses. She should have gone into more indie/coming of age films where her personality could flourish away from masses. Right now when I hear Jennifer Lawrence I imagine a slow, boring performance in a script that is too demanding of her AND overzealous promotions. There are enough female actress who can become leading ladies. For instance The Hollywood Redhead: Christina Hendricks, Amy Adams, Jessica Chastain. I'd add Emily Blunt in the mix. These are polished actress who could have played any post Hunger Games. Of upcoming young actress Sasoirse Ronan is slowly honing her craft where she can become a household name. Jeniffer Lawrence is just one step above Cara Delevigne which is hardly saying much in terms of skill.

truth

JL usually gives a very dry, boring performance.

she's not a bad actress by any means, but she's not 'great' and she brings so little life to her characters.

qwasi

Rhinestone Cowboy
Daps
truth

JL usually gives a very dry, boring performance.

she's not a bad actress by any means, but she's not 'great' and she brings so little life to her characters.

Agreed. I go out of my way not to watch whatever she stars in. However, I couldn't avoid Mother. In that role for 2/3rds she's overshadowed by her co-stars (Javier/Pfieffer). Its basically the last third where her skill comes to light. Which again is overshadowed by her voice. Breh there's one scream she does and while you can tell her pain (great) until her voice cracks and it becomes comical. Someone also pointed something interesting. Her look never fits her roles. She still has that young girl next door college look. Yet, she wants to play sophisticated, well together, 'mature' leads. Case in point I saw trailer for Sparrow chuckled. She's supposed to be this hard-lined albeit sexy assassin but looks like a dainty flower whose never done a push up in her life. @Bold: She should just go indie or even romcom ala notebook. After-all whenever you put a camera on her for interviews she just cracks self depreciating jokes.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
And the point I'd make is that it used to not matter. You put Tom Hanks' name on anything and it's a hit. No matter the movie or its quality. That's the definition of a star, or at least the old definition. You put Clark Gable or Jimmy Stewart or Tom Hanks or Tom Cruise or Denzel's name on anything and you're going to the bank.
Denzel made so many shytty movies in the early-mid 00s that we ate up because he was Denzel.

I remember 2 brehs at the concession stand chanting "denzel! denzel!" :laff:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Leo is the last star left. Even flicks like J. edgar and revolutionary road doubled their budget

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
no one can draw "no matter the movie".

if a movie looks awful and the marketing is awful along with it, then it doesn't matter who stars in it.

but a movie will definitely draw a lot MORE if there is a recognizable star in the lead.

the revenant does not make 180 million dollars if dicaprio isn't advertised. sully does not make 240 million if tom hanks isn't advertised. if you replace them with no name actors nobody is going to see those movies.
well if you going off that, there was never a movie star.. nobody bats 1.000..

but like people said... leo, tarintino, denzel, hanks, speilberg, cruise, the rock... while they might have a flop here and there... for the most part, all their movies make hundreds of millions in profit, and those same movies would do dikk with a b-level star

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
It also sucked. Equalizer was way better. Denzel and Chris Pratt were in two different movies.
I agree that they didn't explore their dynamic enough, Fuqua may have told Denzel to tone it down a bit. I think he and Pratt could've had a lot more on screen tension. Or they could've even had a stronger dynamic between Denzel and Ethan Hawke's character, so people could catch Training Day flashback vibes..I didn't think it sucked, I just think the majority of the movie played it too safe.