If Jennifer Lawrence Can't Open a Movie, Who Can?

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
She's more
You gotta match the project with he budget. Red sparrow is a pulp flick. It shouldn’t be that much money invested. Keep your prices low. The John wick model works man. shyt even the taken model. Make them shyts for relatively cheap, give the actor a better deal on the back end and make them feel like they’re a part of the creative process and you’ll reap the rewards.
Good posting in this thread bruh.

So why does the John Wick model work and the Taken model, these past prime actors still not drawing on any of their other films but these action kill fests reign supreme. Has quality or just filmmakers now the real stars?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
She's more

Good posting in this thread bruh.

So why does the John Wick model work and the Taken model, these past prime actors still not drawing on any of their other films but these action kill fests reign supreme. Has quality or just filmmakers now the real stars?

I think that model can work for younger actors too. But it’s also about marketing. Keanu’s other flicks that aren’t John wick since 2014 don’t have the same marketing muscle behind it so the flicks suffer and also don’t have that organic thing. John wick bubbled. Taken bubbled. Word of mouth counts for a lot on something that’s not an existing IP. Right now, we’re in a franchise and nostalgia driven marketplace. So either you trade in on something from the 80s or 90s or you have a big franchise that people already love.

You gotta sell it but sell it right. And a lot of studios don’t do that. As someone who works in communications, I know that shyt isn’t always easy. But they get paid the big bucks for it so that’s the job.

To your last point tho, filmmakers and studios and characters are stars now, at least in my mind. We’re kinda back to the days where you’d sell a Hitchcock movie as a Hitchcock movie and see it because of him. Yeah it’s cool that Eva Marie saint and Janet Leigh and Cary grant and James Stewart are there but Hitchcock was the draw. Warner Bros sold Dunkirk on Nolan’s name. That’s it. He put butts in seats. And that’s a credit to his name becoming a brand.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
what's with all these Jennifer Lawrence threads lately?

I noticed that too. Been a lot of spin with the L this movie is taking, especially with an article like this. Bigger stars with more name recognition have had bombs at the box office yet she gets an article lamenting about the state of the business when she’s never really been a proven draw. Looks funny in the light :patrice:
Whomever wrote that article :russ::francis:
we've been over this. "Stars" don't exist anymore in the old way of thinking. Daisy Ridley is the lead character in two movies that have both crossed a billion around the world. But she's not opening a movie that's not based on an existing IP or something that just looks fun or gets good word of mouth. Same goes for JLaw

Exactly. I know you post in TSC and some others in here do too so I can parallel what’s happening in Hollywood to what’s already happened in wrestling, atleast with the WWE: the brand sells, not the stars as much anymore. Like you mentioned in another post, franchises (Wrestlemania) or nostalgia (Rock/Goldberg/etc. returns) sell but by and large single name’s drawing like that are an anomaly in this day and age. There should be less crowing about where it all went wrong and more adaption to me with pieces like this :manny:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I noticed that too. Been a lot of spin with the L this movie is taking, especially with an article like this. Bigger stars with more name recognition have had bombs at the box office yet she gets an article lamenting about the state of the business when she’s never really been a proven draw. Looks funny in the light :patrice:

Exactly. I know you post in TSC and some others in here do too so I can parallel what’s happening in Hollywood to what’s already happened in wrestling, atleast with the WWE: the brand sells, not the stars as much anymore. Like you mentioned in another post, franchises (Wrestlemania) or nostalgia (Rock/Goldberg/etc. returns) sell but by and large single name’s drawing like that are an anomaly in this day and age. There should be less crowing about where it all went wrong and more adaption to me with pieces like this :manny:

Yup. It’s why Vince can keep trying to make fetch happen when fetch gets booed out the building every week no matter where the building is. The star is the company not the wrestlers. So rather than bemoan why stars aren’t draws anymore explain the new paradigm and its pros and cons

Last edited:

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
Whomever wrote that article :russ::francis:
we've been over this. "Stars" don't exist anymore in the old way of thinking. Daisy Ridley is the lead character in two movies that have both crossed a billion around the world. But she's not opening a movie that's not based on an existing IP or something that just looks fun or gets good word of mouth. Same goes for JLaw
I don't watch movies but who's daisy redly

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Hollywood stars are kinda on life support. People more care about what franchises are reigning supreme than anything else. Yeah I'm talking to you Marvel > DC people. You're a part of the problem. :childplease:

Rocky is hit or miss too and he's the biggest "star" in Hollywood at the moment if we're going off of high earners. Baywatch flopped but Jumanji was a monster.
Problem with Rock is he makes almost too many movies. They all start to mesh together where he's wearing almost wearing the exact same UA tanktop in every flick.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Hollywood stars are kinda on life support. People more care about what franchises are reigning supreme than anything else. Yeah I'm talking to you Marvel > DC people. You're a part of the problem. :childplease:

Problem with Rock is he makes almost too many movies. They all start to mesh together where he's wearing almost wearing the exact same UA tanktop in every flick.
:deadrose:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

Rocky stars in garbage juice