If Jennifer Lawrence Can't Open a Movie, Who Can?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Not entirely true. They’re able to say “okay you in the mummy isn’t going to work but you in mission impossible will work” and they build those mission impossible flicks as ensembles now rather than relying solely on cruise to carry the marketing unlike the mummy movie. Mission impossible makes money so they keep them going. And also he produces them so he’s going to make sure it happens. He’s consistency has taken a hit since his heyday, but that’s to be expected. He’s not a young cat anymore and there’s still a generation that didn’t grow up on him so they don’t have the affinity.

Mission impossible has been his one saving grace as of late. The first jack reacher seemed to be the anomaly
you're confusing shytty movie with box office numbers... he's had a string of shytty movies, but his numbers are on point since 2012

american made - 134...
mummy - 409 million
jack reacher 2 - 162
edge of tomorrow - 370
oblivion - 286
jack reacher - 218

so it's not like he's fallen off.. his MI movies are the big 500 million joints... but he never was consistent with that... mcguire, minority report, samurai, vampire... all were around the 200-400 range with the big MI6 numbers in

we really need to establish what's great numbers and what's not

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
you're confusing shytty movie with box office numbers... he's had a string of shytty movies, but his numbers are on point since 2012

american made - 134...
mummy - 409 million
jack reacher 2 - 162
edge of tomorrow - 370
oblivion - 286
jack reacher - 218

so it's not like he's fallen off.. his MI movies are the big 500 million joints... but he never was consistent with that... mcguire, minority report, samurai, vampire... all were around the 200-400 range with the big MI6 numbers in

You have to take budget into consideration. If you are near losing money by putting the film out, then the numbers are not "on point." The Mummy lost money.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
You have to take budget into consideration. If you are near losing money by putting the film out, then the numbers are not "on point." The Mummy lost money.
a movie with 125 budget made 409 million in the theater alone and lost money??? i mean that even beats the old "gotta double the numbers to make even" nonsense

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
WRONG... i knew something sounded funny with that much money being raked in

transformers tanking saved this movie.. it was projected to LOSE 95 million when it was at 293... it then kept on trucking to 409.. so did it make much?? nope.. but it didn't lose a dollar

The movie is projected to lose $95 million, according to Deadline, when factoring in the movie's bloated production and marketing costs, which total around $345 million ($195 million production budget, $150 million for distribution and advertising). The film will have a projected total revenue of $250 million, which is a combination of what the studio gets back from theatrical release, global TV deals, and home entertainment.

Universal's saving grace has been the overseas revenue for "The Mummy." To date, the movie has taken in over $236 million in other countries compared to an extremely disappointing $57.1 million in the US. But things are likely going to change dramatically for the movie this weekend with Paramount's release of "Transformers: The Last Knight."

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
Their expectation was that the Mummy would make a billion dollars. But, Tom has never had a billion dollar film (although this next Mission Impossible may hit 800+), so that was Universal's fault for spending what they spent. That film being so expensive tells me they paid every major actor their full freight. Meaning Russell Crow must have received like 10 million for 6-8 scenes of work.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

american made - 134...
mummy - 409 million
jack reacher 2 - 162
edge of tomorrow - 370
oblivion - 286
jack reacher - 218

Homie you’re saying 286 worldwide is a good number? Or 134? Or 162? Those are awful numbers. And I even said that the mummy and edge were saved by their overseas numbers. Tom is still the man abroad so his movies will and still can kick ass over there. But in the US everyone you mentioned minus the first jack reacher tanked. American made only made 54 million domestically in America.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
a movie with 125 budget made 409 million in the theater alone and lost money??? i mean that even beats the old "gotta double the numbers to make even" nonsense
Yes because you’re not taking into account promotion. If the movie didn’t lose money we’d be getting a sequel ASAP. Universal took an L on it

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
I liked Passengers and Red Sparrow was Ok, a little weird & dragged but I still haven't watched Mother yet.:manny:

For some reason I thought Red Sparrow was Mother when I saw it's TV Spot.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
WRONG... i knew something sounded funny with that much money being raked in

transformers tanking saved this movie.. it was projected to LOSE 95 million when it was at 293... it then kept on trucking to 409.. so did it make much?? nope.. but it didn't lose a dollar

The movie is projected to lose $95 million, according to Deadline, when factoring in the movie's bloated production and marketing costs, which total around $345 million ($195 million production budget, $150 million for distribution and advertising). The film will have a projected total revenue of $250 million, which is a combination of what the studio gets back from theatrical release, global TV deals, and home entertainment.

Universal's saving grace has been the overseas revenue for "The Mummy." To date, the movie has taken in over $236 million in other countries compared to an extremely disappointing $57.1 million in the US. But things are likely going to change dramatically for the movie this weekend with Paramount's release of "Transformers: The Last Knight."
No. They lost money.

Making money overseas does not automatically save your film if it bombs domestically. You need an extremely high worldwide number to offset failing in your home territory.

Those 50/50 and 60/40 splits that a studio can get from a ticket sold, that relationship only exists for domestic releases. Internationally, the splits are way more profitable for the foreign exhibitors.

For instance.

"Currently, Hollywood receives 25% of the box office on its films in China..."

China Lowballed Hollywood Box Office By 9% In 2016, Audit Finds – Report

So The Mummy made $91 million in China. But Universal's take is only $22 million, which might be nearly as much as they put into marketing the film in that region.

Those uneven splits are the standard in foreign markets.

"According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release — and after expenses, they're lucky if they take in 15 percent of that number."

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable

So even if you take the high end of 40% (I've read that 30/70 is the average international split for the studio, the studios get a larger share in Western Europe but much smaller in Asia), that means of the $240 million The Mummy made internationally (sans China, which is locked in at 25% and as already determined, brought Universal about $22 million), Universal only took in about $100 million of it.

So all in all, being generous and rounding up, that's about $125 million internationally (rounded up to $25m for China and 100m for other markets), and $40 million domestic on an even 50/50 split, for a worldwide total of $165 million that Universal brought in on the theatrical run.

And when you factor in that they were estimated to spend $30 million on domestic TV ads alone...

There is no way they didn't lose money.

But that is what happens when 80% of your box office revenue comes from overseas markets that snatch up 60-75% of every dollar your film made.

Deadline estimated a loss of about $95 million if The Mummy made around $375 m's worldwide. That means the magic break even number, according to their estimates, would have been $470 million.

The Mummy didn't come close to reaching that.

(Now Hollywood has crazy ass accounting practices that help keep their studios afloat even when they do lose money, which is too complicated and too secretive for internet rando's like me to know, and of course they generate revenue through rentals, home video, and streaming but that money can take years to actually make it to the studio which limits what films they are able to greenlight and put into production now. The Mummy was a tentpole film meant to start a franchise and make up for the losses or lack of profitability on smaller films for Universal's portfolio. The fact that it lost money itself on the initial run puts their entire schedule of releases in a state of uncertainty.)

Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Jennifer Lawrence succeeding was an anomaly in the first place! A one dimensional actress whose success of teen movies catapulted her stock too fast. Hollywood bombarded the public with her and wanted so badly to paint her as the spearhead of the new generation actresses. She should have gone into more indie/coming of age films where her personality could flourish away from masses. Right now when I hear Jennifer Lawrence I imagine a slow, boring performance in a script that is too demanding of her AND overzealous promotions. There are enough female actress who can become leading ladies. For instance The Hollywood Redhead: Christina Hendricks, Amy Adams, Jessica Chastain. I'd add Emily Blunt in the mix. These are polished actress who could have played any post Hunger Games. Of upcoming young actress Sasoirse Ronan is slowly honing her craft where she can become a household name. Jeniffer Lawrence is just one step above Cara Delevigne which is hardly saying much in terms of skill.
Looks like jennifer needs to cash that marvel stimulus package in

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
No one.
The game has changed.
You need a couple 'stars' sure but moviegoers are wiser now, thats not gonna cut it. Need a good script, director, and at least some good word of mouth from the community in addition to some star power. Nowadays if the movie is trash we find out BEFORE opening day. Rotten tomatoes and online reviews and shyt. The cat is out of the bag early. If its a good movie the word of mouth will increase sales but if its a bad movie people stay away from it like the plague. We seen that with Justice league and BP. JL people knew was trash and just didnt go. BP more and more people heard it was piff and audiences still flocking to see it 4th weekend.