I don’t get the hype for Mad Men

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I’m on S1 episode 11 and so far this feels like a soap opera in the vein of Dallas, but I’ve been hearing it’s on the level of elite TV shows like Breaking bad.

The only compelling part of the show so far that don’t make it feel like a soap opera are the flashbacks of when he was a kid.

If you weren't hooked on episode 1, you can stop watching now.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Mad Men is a character driven show -almost entirely tbh- so if you aren't into the people in the show or into that type of storytelling, it's a tough sell.

To this day it's still my favorite TV show of all time but I've always understood why there's people that don't like or could never really get into it.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Mad Men is a character driven show -almost entirely tbh- so if you aren't into the people in the show or into that type of storytelling, it's a tough sell.

To this day it's still my favorite TV show of all time but I've always understood why there's people that don't like or could never really get into it.

Folks that don't rock with Mad Men, I like to see what else they like and what lead them to watch it.

Beer Drinker

Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I remember loving the show but not liking the later seasons once Don left and married a secretary or something?

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Made it to season 3. Glad I stuck it out. The character development is top notch. I’m also getting a kick at the juxtaposition between current times and the 50s/60s. Pregnant women drinking and smoking, casual sexism, mistreatment of children and of course the unrepentant accepted racism.

This is really the society that cac conservatives still long to return.

One of the funniest scenes was when one of the neighbors slapped another neighbors little kid for running around the house and the dad made the kid apologize to the neighbor. People were savages. :heh:
This is the only reason it was even a fraction of popular as it was. No where near any no goat shows and 0 replay value.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if you watch it with an eye that is meant to be critical of the era and not glorify it, i think you will find enjoyment.

if you watch it, especially if you're not some white dude, trying to glorify don draper and the rest of them, then yeah it's going to be an awkward watch.

the stuff about why advertising is dumb as fukk and some white dudes sitting in a room "deciding" what is popular also has some value imo.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’ve hearda few good things, but I haven’t heard it put up with the Breaking Bads, The Wires, and Sporanos of the world, which was why I was never really compelled to fw it :jbhmm:

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven’t heard it put up with the Breaking Bads, The Wires, and Sporanos of the world, which was why I was never really compelled to fw it :jbhmm:
there's no way there is any level of excitement that compare to those shows.

seems like more of a critique of advertising as a whole and the 60/70s NYC corporate workplace as a whole.

i think it's a top 50 show all time, not top 10 tho.

it's also tiring to watch, i would never rewatch it. it's basically about some white man who is a fraud, who has a midlife crisis. with the societal landscap in america in the 60s/70s as a backdrop. wire/bb/sopranos have action and thriller tension that mad men could never compete with.

Redwood

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
there's no way there is any level of excitement that compare to those shows.

seems like more of a critique of advertising as a whole and the 60/70s NYC corporate workplace as a whole.

i think it's a top 50 show all time, not top 10 tho.

it's also tiring to watch, i would never rewatch it. it's basically about some white man who is a fraud, who has a midlife crisis. with the societal landscap in america in the 60s/70s as a backdrop. wire/bb/sopranos have action and thriller tension that mad men could never compete with.

:pachaha: Even SOA did.