I don’t get the hype for Mad Men

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's top 5 for me.

but I started on the 5th season, when it aired in 2012, and went backwards. The 5th starts to get way more experimental, funnier, sexier, it's not a different show, but it is one of those that gets better each season.
Part of that is the tone shifts as the culture does. Season 5 starts in the mid 60's so the show gets livelier as you see hipsters, counter culture, protestors, the youth movement start to slide in.

No spoilers, but the first episode of season 5 has Don on some :skip:shyt because of some young shyt going on.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I’ve hearda few good things, but I haven’t heard it put up with the Breaking Bads, The Wires, and Sporanos of the world, which was why I was never really compelled to fw it :jbhmm:
its very very close. maybe like a millimeter behind those shows, but its hard to say. It's reasonable to mention it amongst those shows imo.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’ve hearda few good things, but I haven’t heard it put up with the Breaking Bads, The Wires, and Sporanos of the world, which was why I was never really compelled to fw it :jbhmm:
It's up there critically.

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
It's slow but the character work over the seasons is some of the best I've seen.

Only Six Feet Under and the Wire compare to long term character planning

I personally think Breaking Bad as a show got more and more sillier it took me out of the drama the longer it went on.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
I’m on S1 episode 11 and so far this feels like a soap opera in the vein of Dallas, but I’ve been hearing it’s on the level of elite TV shows like Breaking bad.

The only compelling part of the show so far that don’t make it feel like a soap opera are the flashbacks of when he was a kid.
full

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
there's no way there is any level of excitement that compare to those shows.

seems like more of a critique of advertising as a whole and the 60/70s NYC corporate workplace as a whole.

i think it's a top 50 show all time, not top 10 tho.

it's also tiring to watch, i would never rewatch it. it's basically about some white man who is a fraud, who has a midlife crisis. with the societal landscap in america in the 60s/70s as a backdrop. wire/bb/sopranos have action and thriller tension that mad men could never compete with.
That’s actually another great point I know nobody who’s even rewatched it

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I did:ehh:

Might be time for another rewatch.
What’s your top 5? Just curious what your general taste in shows is. It sounds like I’m tryna make a point or something but I promise I’m just genuinely curious :russ: