I don’t get the hype for Mad Men

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Anyone comparing it to Breaking Bad doesn't know what they're talking about. Mad Men is a 60s era style soap opera, and it's more of a relaxing type of show.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
You gotta relax. I’ve grown to appreciate the show as I’m binging, but it’s nowhere near Breaking Bad. It’s at best a couple of tiers lower than Walking Dead.
I watched them side by side as they aired and felt Breaking Bad was overrated. The fact it was mentioned in the same pile as shows like Mad Men or The Wire was laughable to me

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I watched them side by side as they aired and felt Breaking Bad was overrated. The fact it was mentioned in the same pile as shows like Mad Men or The Wire was laughable to me

What’s laughable is mentioning Mad Men alongside The Wire.

I think it’s a decent show, but that’s about it. This really is a show that you can play in the background as opposed to a compelling drama that makes you watch intently and then analyze what you just saw. It’s not even as entertaining as other night time soaps like Dallas.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
One of those shows that gets better as it goes on.

Seasons 1 & 2 aren’t the best.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
What’s laughable is mentioning Mad Men alongside The Wire.

I think it’s a decent show, but that’s about it. This really is a show that you can play in the background as opposed to a compelling drama that makes you watch intently and then analyze what you just saw. It’s not even as entertaining as other night time soaps like Dallas.
Disagree. It’s a highly well written character study.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The stakes compared to a crime drama are always going to be different. it's a fair comparison, but shows like BB, The Sopranos, The Wire, are life or death.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What’s your top 5? Just curious what your general taste in shows is. It sounds like I’m tryna make a point or something but I promise I’m just genuinely curious :russ:
Off the top of my head, in no order for dramas:

Mad Men
Breaking Bad
The Wire
Hannibal
Maybe the Knick

Ezkh

Pro
Daps
Mad Men is probably top 5 for every TV show producer out there, including the ones behind Breaking Bad, The Wire etc.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
I’m on S1 episode 11 and so far this feels like a soap opera in the vein of Dallas, but I’ve been hearing it’s on the level of elite TV shows like Breaking bad.

The only compelling part of the show so far that don’t make it feel like a soap opera are the flashbacks of when he was a kid.
:mjlol:

Why am I not surprised?

:hubie: