Howard University medical school has zero ADOS black men.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Recent Howard (undergrad) graduate here. It’s true, most of the people I know at HU Med school aren’t #ADOS. But there’s more to that. The few male ADOS I know who studied biology undergrad at Howard got really good scholarship offers from better PWI Med Schools (ie Harvard). They could’ve easily continued at Howard, but given their options it wouldn’t have made sense.

The absence of something isn't evidence of discrimination... I'm gonna need a little more than just theres no brehs

The video that Antonio Moore tweeted that supposedly illustrates no ADOS male students at Howard,is
short and horrible produced.

The clip just has a handful of interviews with foreign students, and then features a Howard medical school group photo (let's assume they are students - the video provides absolutely no background info) that actually shows about 30 black males. We have no idea what their heritages are from the video.

This is just internet outrage propaganda and nothing more.
So in actuality, this narrative of Africans being chosen over similarly qualified AA male applicants is probably not true at all.

A lot of brehs are simply not applying. And just like in the sports world, those who do have the high scores/skills/credentials typically choose the white prestigious school over the HBCUs.

I guess the "they're taking away our slots" narrative sounds better for drama & fake outrage

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So What does he want them to do? Not admit black immigrants.
Breh, its medical school, the best candidates(on paper ofcourse) are always going to be selected.

I'm sure if you look at the numbers you'll come to find that there arent a whole lot of black men applying to med school like that.
And if you take away black immigrants and the offspring, that number get substantially lower.

And the ones that are selected more than likely end up selecting a pwi

Yup. We have to do better as a community making higher eduction a priority and giving it more social currency.

You ca even see the anti higher education sentiments on this very site. I was attacked and called elitist because I said all black people should aim to send their kids to universities.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Ain’t no safe spaces. You mention us in deragotary terms and we at you.

fukk we look like letting people attack us without defending ourselves?

You would do the same damn thing.

And what’s truly sad, is most of us support your claims for reparations.
Exactly. These misguided c00ns need to wake the fukk up.

This bytch wants a safe space to insult Africans without being bothered. Yeah get the fukk outta here.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Completely off topic but I just wanna point out how people loooooove to claim there's a difference between n***er and n***a and how n***a is endearing but NOT ONCE has it been said in a friendly way in this thread.

:ufdup:

Every Black man that was ever killed by another Black man most likely heard that ugly term right before being killed.

capt_saveahoe

All Star
Daps
So in actuality, this narrative of Africans being chosen over similarly qualified AA male applicants is probably not true at all.

A lot of brehs are simply not applying. And just like in the sports world, those who do have the high scores/skills/credentials typically choose the white prestigious school over the HBCUs.

I guess the "they're taking away our slots" narrative sounds better for drama & fake outrage

I am African and there is zero doubt fresh off the boat and first-generation Africans and Caribbeans are taking spots away from African Americans.

There were 604 total black male matriculants into medical school in 2018/2019, 284 (47%) of those identified as African American, out of the remaining 53%, 70ish identified as pure African (these are probably recent immigrants that are on a green card), the remaining identified as some combination of Black/African and or Afro Caribbean. The trend is similar with women except there are more women, 936 to be exact.

The numbers alone might not say much but it should at least raise an eyebrow when you realize that recent Africans and Caribbeans aren't even 10% of the population of Blacks in America.

But wait...it gets better (see the two links below for the full data)

The average black matriculant has a science GPA and an MCAT score of 3.38 and 505.1, compared to 3.65 and 511.2 for everyone else. If Affirmative action was removed from the equation about 50% of applicants identifying as Black, African, African American, and Afro-Caribbean will not have a chance at getting accepted.

So the real question is should fresh of the boat Africans/Caribbeans or children of recent immigrants benefit from Affirmative action even though it was not intended for them?

https://www.aamc.org/download/321480/data/factstablea12.pdf

https://www.aamc.org/download/321498/data/factstablea18.pdf

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
I am African and there is zero doubt fresh off the boat and first-generation Africans and Caribbeans are taking spots away from African Americans.

There were 604 total black male matriculants into medical school in 2018/2019, 284 (47%) of those identified as African American, out of the remaining 53%, 70ish identified as pure African (these are probably recent immigrants that are on a green card), the remaining identified as some combination of Black/African and or Afro Caribbean. The trend is similar with women except there are more women, 936 to be exact.

The numbers alone might not say much but it should at least raise an eyebrow when you realize that recent Africans and Caribbeans aren't even 10% of the population of Blacks in America.

The average black matriculant has a science GPA and an MCAT score of 3.38 and 505.1, compared to 3.65 and 511.2 for everyone else. If Affirmative action was removed from the equation about 50% of applicants identifying as Black, African, African American, and Afro-Caribbean will not have a chance at getting accepted.

So the real question is should fresh of the boat Africans/Caribbeans or children of recent immigrants benefit from Affirmative action even though it was not intended for them?

They're doing race-based affirmative action at HBCUs?

capt_saveahoe

All Star
Daps
They're doing race-based affirmative action at HBCUs?

Obviously, I was speaking in General terms but the same trend applies to HBCUs too in that statistically they can fill their class up with whites and Asians several times over if not for affirmative action and their mission to educate black doctors.

I am slightly familiar with Howard because I interviewed there ages ago and even then it felt like everyone I met was African. I am not going to look up the exact numbers now but Howard College of medicine has about 100 students, 25 of those are whites/Indians/Asians. About 50% of the remaining 80 or so black students are African or Afro-Caribbean. Again, should Africans and Afro-Caribbeans be over-represented in an institution meant to provide opportunities for historically disadvantaged and disenfranchised black Americans?

Below is a list of their 2017 and 2018 graduates, I am no expert on names but you can see there are plenty of obvious African names. The point is Africans are overrepresented in medicine and many graduate programs because schools will rather take Africans or afro Caribbeans as their special admits instead of creating pipeline programs and mentorship programs to help Black high school students.

2017 Residency Training Programs - Howard University Medical Alumni Association, Inc.

2018 Residency Training Programs - Howard University Medical Alumni Association, Inc.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Thank you for cosigning my ealier statement. The premise of this thread is misleading and gaslighting. Why go to Howard if you can go to Johns Hopkins or University of Michigan or Duke
Interesting please clearly state why going to Howard is considered an L, if you're offered admission to John Hopkins or UofM?

:jbhmm:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Obviously, I was speaking in General terms but the same trend applies to HBCUs too in that statistically they can fill their class up with whites and Asians several times over if not for affirmative action and their mission to educate black doctors.

I am slightly familiar with Howard because I interviewed there ages ago and even then it felt like everyone I met was African. I am not going to look up the exact numbers now but Howard College of medicine has about 100 students, 25 of those are whites/Indians/Asians. About 50% of the remaining 80 or so black students are African or Afro-Caribbean. Again, should Africans and Afro-Caribbeans be over-represented in an institution meant to provide opportunities for historically disadvantaged and disenfranchised black Americans?

Below is a list of their 2017 and 2018 graduates, I am no expert on names but you can see there are plenty of obvious African names. The point is Africans are overrepresented in medicine and many graduate programs because schools will rather take Africans or afro Caribbeans as their special admits instead of creating pipeline programs and mentorship programs to help Black high school students.

2017 Residency Training Programs - Howard University Medical Alumni Association, Inc.

2018 Residency Training Programs - Howard University Medical Alumni Association, Inc.

It’s the university’s reposibility to create a pool of qualified applicants?

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Stop fukking c00ning. The reality is African immigrants compete on the same level of WHITE PEOPLE, not black immigrants. Immigrants ARE NOT given preference over ANY AMERICAN. Immigrants are NOT allowed entry with lower test scores or GPAs. Any african in medschool is the creme de la creme of his class.

Black ADOS are allowed to enter medical school with lower GPAs and test scores to help alleviate issue of low numbers of black doctors.

To think that blacks americans and immigrants compete for the same seats is fukking c00ning. Its clear many black ADOS are jealous of black immigrants able to get into professional school. Sadly, you c00ns don't care about the thousands of ASIANS, ARABS, INDIANS, and other ethinic groups matriculating into medical school every year. Are these people also stealing seats from ADOS?

You nikkas are pathetic.