How Has Chinatown Stayed Chinatown?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I really dont give af about anyone else's language to be clear.
Im addressing the fact that Non-AAs who dont speak AAVE claiming that everyone in America is fluent in our language.
Just because you know buzz words like THOT&Bae doesn't mean that if I drop you off on either the South or Westside of Chicago that you'd be able to carry a conversa tion without translation.
You do know you ARENT AA, right?
The fact that you continue call it ebonics pretty much let me know your sources.:mjlol:
Learn a little bit about linguistics before you try to argue lmao

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
Learn a little bit about linguistics before you try to argue lmao
You need to stop arguing with AAs about our own culture. I've seen you and a few other posters arguing to bat about shyt Yall DONT know.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Do you know how much Black wealth was bred in Harlem? Just how many Black millionaires have moved out of Harlem?
If we'd kept the rappers, musicians, artists, actors, lawyers, doctors, business people and bankers in Harlem, it would look entirely different right now.

yea its insane. I mean I hate telling people what they should have done or should do with their money, but damn. There are still Prominent black communities in this country but they all tend to be on that Bolue type deal and are purely residentially more so than a community with actual infrastructure. Like yea you have nice houses and a few mom and pop businesses, but you dont have any private schools, still have to use piss poor city hospitals because the good private ones are in non black neighborhoods, etc etc

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
IDK about NYC, but in Frisco Chinatown is still Chinatown because

1) They own it
2) They bring in the tourists
3) The mob and the politicians grew up in the same Chinatown households/projects/tenements and went to the same schools. They all know each other and protect each other
4) They have the second strongest pull in City Hall
5) If something's for rent you'd have to be able to read Cantonese to know that

I would think Cali and NYC and maybe the Chi are the few places were "Chinatown" is legit and not some novelty neighborhood.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I would think Cali and NYC and maybe the Chi are the few places were "Chinatown" is legit and not some novelty neighborhood.

Vancouver too, they're deep over there. As far as overt political corruption that benefits Chinatown, Frisco is #1 for that. Even the current mayor Ed Lee is up to his neck in whats likely going to be a fed case, he allegedly took bribes from the mob.

http://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-mayor-ed-lee-bribery-allegations-2015-8

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee has been implicated in bribery and money laundering schemes, according to new filings related to the criminal case around Richard "Shrimp Boy" Chow, the SF Examiner reported on Tuesday.

New filings in federal court allege that Lee took "substantial bribes in exchange for favors," while some of his commission staff members engaged in money laundering activities.

The Examiner report noted that while the court fillings made the allegations, none of the people mentioned have been formally charged for the accusations. The report did not provide details on the nature of the alleged bribes.

Pretty much any and all significant Chinese politicians from SF (especially from Chinatown) are connected to the mob.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Dudes always wanna prop other cultures/situations up as better than black people.

Regardless how long it's been named "Chinatown" that is not what black people or anybody else should be trying to emulate.

They are trying to get the fukk outa china town and nikkas in here talking about trying to build one:martin:

yea, People big up this stuff when in actuality lot of these folks live in slave like conditions and literally work 20 hr days and no real pay. I think people like the sound of a majority Black run community, but the actual conditions of these Chinatowns and Little Mexicos are terrible.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
yea, People big up this stuff when in actuality lot of these folks live in slave like conditions and literally work 20 hr days and no real pay. I think people like the sound of a majority Black run community, but the actual conditions of these Chinatowns and Little Mexicos are terrible.

There's a flipside to it though, they live in squalor for a few years (while saving up their money) and buy a better house in the same neighborhood when they got it. A lot of the time it's rinse and repeat, they bring more of their family over once their established and do the same thing that got them over here on their feet. Some of them are effectively kept as wage slaves but enough of them move up where the neighborhoods have capital and eventually political capital.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
There's a flipside to it though, they live in squalor for a few years (while saving up their money) and buy a better house in the same neighborhood when they got it. A lot of the time it's rinse and repeat, they bring more of their family over once their established and do the same thing that got them over here on their feet. Some of them are effectively kept as wage slaves but enough of them move up where the neighborhoods have capital and eventually political capital.

IDK, while that is true for many, you have a lot of cases about Human Trafficking and essentially selling their own as slave labor.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
IDK, while that is true for many, you have a lot of cases about Human Trafficking and essentially selling their own as slave labor.

I've seen all of that in real life over here (not specifically with people in Chinatown but with other immigrants, refugees, etc.), it does happen but usually the families were already fukked up when they got here or they owed the wrong people from the jump. In Oakland Mexicans and Cambodians are on the track and in the streets the same way we are, the difference is a matter of the politics.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
And its wrong.

middle class + Asian Americans by the 3rd generation assimilate into White communities.

If you're living in Chinatown or Little Mexico and not a property owner you're not middle class anyway so I don't see your point. I'm speaking about what people fresh off the boat do to get on their feet.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
If you're living in Chinatown or Little Mexico and not a property owner you're not middle class anyway so I don't see your point. I'm speaking about what people fresh off the boat do to get on their feet.

People off the boat are not moving up economic rank to buy better property in Chinatown, breh.

Their kids are the people who become middle class and move their parents into their homes in white communities.