How Has Chinatown Stayed Chinatown?

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Why do blacks wait on whites to gentrify communities instead lf doing it themselves?

The problem is we'd have to be psychics because the property values ONLY go up once Whites move back in.

Black people have little to no effect on property values except DEPRESSING the values in most cases. :francis:

If you don't like it, tough luck that's the American CAC dominated real estate market. :manny:

concise

Veteran
Daps
As in no longer in Black people's hands. It belongs to outsiders now.

It's been owned by a non-profit for almost 25 years now. It was owned by Jewish businessmen during its glory days.

so again ... What are you talking about?

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
:francis: I disagree. Ebonics in no way could be argued as being a language like Patois or Creole. It's colloquialism, plain and simple, easy to decipher too. Black Americans honestly don't have shyt to unite ourselves except free will.

If you were around some Spanish people who didn't want you to pick up what they were saying, they could put reverb, slang, and all types of shyt in their speech and still speak Spanish and only other Spanish people could pick that up. It would be akin to talking in code over the phone. Ebonics can't do any of that.

ebonics is decreolized to the fullest. while i have reservations, i do think Jamaicans should (and they have in Jamaica) start to standardize Patois and use it as a unifying force

No shade but if you're not AA or didn't grow up speaking AAVE you wont be able to pick up on it. Hence sites like Urban Dictionary existing.
Mainstream AAVE is not the same as the AAVE spoken among US, we purposely "Decreolize" it as means to translate.
It's ever changing as well. People often forget America is Huge! Our states are bigger than countries and our cities are bigger than most islands. For that reason alone it's pretty silly to try and compare our our languages. Just as there is no Standard American accent ,there isn't a singular version of AAVE. We arent a monolith so why would we have a monolithic laguage?!?
The problem with these discussions is the fact that it is always had by Non-AAs, non Americans or Suburanites who really didn't grow up in our culture. Most of you know of our culture through Media e.i. Racist Propaganda News, Scripted RealityTV, Social Media, and Music videos.

Simply put just because you don't experience certain aspects of OUR culture doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

Im really curious why people who aren't AA feel they can speaking in absolutes about my culture. :pachaha:
Anyone care to answer that?:skip:

Thing is one can argue Black Americans created their own language but allowed non Blacks to monetize it. "Ebonics" and other regional slangs are languages of the people who came up in those communities/cultures. Hell look at when Migos or Chi town rappers get interviewed white folks put captions on the screen so people can understand what they are saying. At the end of the day if you are Black no matter where you are from and hear other blacks talk you will essentially pick up the ear to hear the mother tongues. I`m not Jamaican but when I watched Money and Violence I could understand EVERY thing the Jamaicans would say on the show.

I agree with the bold.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
No shade but if you're not AA or didn't grow up speaking AAVE you wont be able to pick up on it. Hence sites like Urban Dictionary existing.
Mainstream AAVE is not the same as the AAVE spoken among US, we purposely "Decreolize" it as means to translate.
It's ever changing as well. People often forget America is Huge! Our states are bigger than countries and our cities are bigger than most islands. For that reason alone it's pretty silly to try and compare our our languages. Just as there is no Standard American accent ,there isn't a singular version of AAVE. We arent a monolith so why would we have a monolithic laguage?!?
The problem with these discussions is the fact that it is always had by Non-AAs, non Americans or Suburanites who really didn't grow up in our culture. Most of you know of our culture through Media e.i. Racist Propaganda News, Scripted RealityTV, Social Media, and Music videos.

Simply put just because you don't experience certain aspects of OUR culture doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

Im really curious why people who aren't AA feel they can speaking in absolutes about my culture. :pachaha:
Anyone care to answer that?:skip:

I agree with the bold.
Aave/ebonics is one of the best examples of decreolization in the entire world. Prove me wrong. Do you even understand the difference between jargon, accents, dialects, syntax, or any theories surrounding creole languages?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Chinatown poverty levels are crazy

The poverty of Manhattan's Chinatown revealed in photographs

article-2610918-1D47894D00000578-805_634x632.jpg

Living in cages is not what's hot in the streets:smh:

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
Aave/ebonics is one of the best examples of decreolization in the entire world. Prove me wrong. Do you even understand the difference between jargon, accents, dialects, syntax, or any theories surrounding creole languages?
I really dont give af about anyone else's language to be clear.
Im addressing the fact that Non-AAs who dont speak AAVE claiming that everyone in America is fluent in our language.
Just because you know buzz words like THOT&Bae doesn't mean that if I drop you off on either the South or Westside of Chicago that you'd be able to carry a conversa tion without translation.
You do know you ARENT AA, right?
The fact that you continue call it ebonics pretty much let me know your sources.:mjlol:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah it was fairly common to hear about murder in these places.

You could rent those cages for 50 bucks a night in Chinatown so they tend to attract unsavory types.
Dudes always wanna prop other cultures/situations up as better than black people.

Regardless how long it's been named "Chinatown" that is not what black people or anybody else should be trying to emulate.

They are trying to get the fukk outa china town and nikkas in here talking about trying to build one:martin:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How, Sway?
Do you know how much Black wealth was bred in Harlem? Just how many Black millionaires have moved out of Harlem?
If we'd kept the rappers, musicians, artists, actors, lawyers, doctors, business people and bankers in Harlem, it would look entirely different right now.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Do you know how much Black wealth was bred in Harlem? Just how many Black millionaires have moved out of Harlem?
If we'd kept the rappers, musicians, artists, actors, lawyers, doctors, business people and bankers in Harlem, it would look entirely different right now.

I understand that, but this is what I was responding to.

and harlem COULD be the epicenter in the US...but alas :manny:

He put the emphasis on "could" as if there is a solution to this currently. I would have agreed had he said, "could have"

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
IDK about NYC, but in Frisco Chinatown is still Chinatown because

1) They own it
2) They bring in the tourists
3) The mob and the politicians grew up in the same Chinatown households/projects/tenements and went to the same schools. They all know each other and protect each other
4) They have the second strongest pull in City Hall
5) If something's for rent you'd have to be able to read Cantonese to know that