How did this weave culture become so great among black women?

StarGirl

All Star
Daps
So when you consider it like that... Both WW and WM are the standards in this country, and just as BW get flak for their hair, how they look, their behavior and so on, BM get flak for their inability to provide, lead, father their children etc. Neither groups have "met" the standards collectively, and have gotten flak from their counterparts for not meeting them(in BM's case), or for trying to (BW).

So, under this train of thought, what happens when an individual black man meets that standard?

Should he then be rightfully entitled to give black women flak for their hair, looks, behavior?

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
The issue with weave is many sista started to wear it exclusively. It’s one thing to wear to switch up your style but if your only wearing it’s an issue

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
:skip: My niece's grandmother stays rocking a blonde Beyonce weave.

I just look at her like :why: :comeon:

:russ:

latest

That is the one color I do not like for weaves

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
So, under this train of thought, what happens when an individual black man meets that standard?

Should he then be rightfully entitled to give black women flak for their hair, looks, behavior?

This is an interesting question and honestly I haven't thought that deeply into it. So to answer your question :yeshrug:

OliviaTwist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Souf
Threads like these always make it painfully obvious Black men don’t know much about Black hair culture.
This is so true. WhY cAnT yOu JuSt GrOw It AnD WeAr It??? Like that’s not what many women are out here doing. The Supreme Court ruled that banning dreadlocks in the workplace was legal and people lose jobs and get suspended for school for Afros all the time. Black women are told numerous times that the hair that grows from their heads isn’t professional.

Plus natural hair care products is EXPENSIVE On top of it being time consuming. If it’s a week where I’m wearing my hair out in a puff, it’ll take me all day to detangle, wash, deep condition, and style my hair. It’s called wash DAY for a reason

For real tho, all the men complaining about straight textured weave please put your money where your mouth is and donate so i can get some kinky clip ins
$CinnaSlim

For_Kinks_Wefted_250x325.jpg

Kinky textured extension are more expensive too. I don’t wear bone straight hair anymore I aim for a kinky straight texture now but hair companies are trying to capitalize off the kinky hair popularity trend

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Black women are the only ones who spark national controversy over changes to their hairstyles. Also the only ones currently in lawsuits for the right to wear their hair the way it comes out of their heads. Pause. Consider any other woman literally being fired or attacked on the job for the way her hair grows out of her head.

If that wasn't bad enough, blk girls grew up in a community that told them they had to be "fried, died, and laid to the side". So most grew up in a salon with a tub of Blue Magic and a pressing comb until they were old enough to drink sodas to ease the pain away from that Dudley perm. And within the community they got nothing but messages from older blk men and blk women AND blks their own age that anybody with a looser curl pattern (closer to white) was better. So watching women with textures closer to whiter hair textures get chosen, while also being told by others in the community that there are negative connotations to nappiness or kinky hair has led to a collective sense of caution when it comes to wearing our hair the way it grows naturally.

But there is a great moral to this story. During the 2000s, blk women said fukk it. Got tired of the perms. Wanted to see what their own hair would look like free of chemical processing. Blk chicks started cutting their hair off at the root. Despite getting clowned for it by other blk men and blk women in our own race, and elders, blk women pressed the reset button. And this sparked the natural movement.

All of a sudden you hear shyt like Teeny Weena Afros and Big Chop. Many blk women literally went bald and re-grew their hair from scratch. But it was new territory. Keep in mind many of us didn't grow up manipulating our own hair texture. We grew up having our hair be manipulated to make it straight and we couldn't help ourselves b/c you don't have agency over ur own body as a child. So we grew up not knowing WHAT to do with kinky textured hair. And we weren't the only ones. Beauticians today in major beauty industries STILL don't know how to do natural hair in many cases.

So here's how awesome ur women are in the face of white supremacy that created this fukked up paradigm: blk women took it all the way back to the roots. They started using old rememdies like cleansing the scalp with apple cider vinegar, making homemade conditioners from eggs, honey, and olive oil, using cocoa and shea butters and old techniques. And just like that our hair started to grow. But blk hair is delicate. Curly hair is more prone to breakage than straight hair b/c every curve in the curl pattern can create a weak point in the hair shaft. So constant manipulation of our hair texture is a no no. So blk women started rocking things like protective styling and weaves are apart of that.

If ur wondering how blk men have played a role in this, IMO their role has been pretty small other than growing up in the same racist society and being socially conditioned right alongside blk women. But even in spite of this MANY blk men were resistant and resilient in the face of these beauty standards and how they raised their daughters. When I was growing up, blk fathers were TYRANTS about not putting "that shyt" in their daughters hair. I'm being 100% real. But u can be the best parents in the world and whiteness can still impact ur children.

So some of the current generations of c00ns like to sit there and judge ur own race of women all while knowing you urself prefers white features and have bought into the "whiter is better" social conditioning in this society. Will be the MAIN ones to clown a chick for rocking kinky fros, will be the main ones to be like "light skinned long haired chicks" but then wanna sit there in fake shock that ur women grew up on the same racist world as you did and has similar issues that you do.:gucci:

Just know blk women have come a loooong way in terms of learning about themselves and hair care. We still have a long way to go but that's just part of the blk struggle.:yeshrug:

Cliffs: Growing up in a white society has an effect. Blk women had to relearn themselves and their hair after entering adulthood. Black men can't be responsible for blk women learning to like themselves but do ur part like older generations and learn about ur own women. Don't be judgmental especially given how many people thirst over white features these days.
A video for ur time b/c reading isn't fundamental these days.:comeon:

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
This is so true. WhY cAnT yOu JuSt GrOw It AnD WeAr It??? Like that’s not what many women are out here doing. The Supreme Court ruled that banning dreadlocks in the workplace was legal and people lose jobs and get suspended for school for Afros all the time. Black women are told numerous times that the hair that grows from their heads isn’t professional.

Plus natural hair care products is EXPENSIVE On top of it being time consuming. If it’s a week where I’m wearing my hair out in a puff, it’ll take me all day to detangle, wash, deep condition, and style my hair. It’s called wash DAY for a reason

Kinky textured extension are more expensive too. I don’t wear bone straight hair anymore I aim for a kinky straight texture now but hair companies are trying to capitalize off the kinky hair popularity trend

Lol. I never did the wash day, when I tried to be natural--I went to the salon. I was working full time and in graduate school at night, and was a single mom of a toddler, ain't nobody had time for all that work.

I do keratin treatments twice a year, it's expensive, but with it my hair is manageable enough for me to do on the daily basis. I go to the salon still for washes and conditioning though lol. I wear my hair straight though, and put heat on it weekly. In the summers, like right now, I do braids. Right now I have goddess locs which I love because I wake up and go. One of my sisters is natural though, and hate to say it, but I try to tell her to go to the salon too... Her hair looks pretty crazy half the time, because she's struggling to take care of it. My other sister wears weaves back to back, to back. I haven't seen her real hair in 4 years. I asked her the other day, "Is there still hair under there?" LOL... She does the full weaves with a closure and everything and gets that silky straight indique hair.

I remember when I went to a wedding a couple of years ago and got a weave. I bought this hot press hair--which is basically hair that looks like pressing comb hair. And the woman who installed it, was like "Why did you get hair like this, why didn't you get that good shyt?"(what she meant was the straight silky hair). SMH. I told her I didn't want to walk around in unbeweavable hair.

Like I mentioned before, sometimes when I see good weaves, I want one, just for a change. But I've been seeing so many bad weaves out here in Charlotte that I'm good on that. I always give props to women that have managed to find a tried and true regimen for their natural hair. At the time when I went natural, I didn't make the time to do it.

One thing I will say is that sometimes I notice a lot of naturals, go natural to grow their hair really long, and get disappointed when it doesn't happen, or when they're still experiencing breakage like they did with relaxers. That's why some of them just go with protective styles like weaves, to grow their out without much manipulation. Then from there, I think it becomes an addiction. Or at least that's what I've been told.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Weave or cac-looking weave.
There is a difference.

Originally it had to do with WS.
We have to acknowledge that.

But in 2018 WS is not a primary or secondary factor for it. Some women wear it to be accepted in certain professions.

but the majority does it because they prefer its appearance over their actual hair and they find it easier to manage.:yeshrug:

delnegro

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It looks absurd. One day I was on the train at rush hour and every sister on the train had a gotdamn weave. At one point sisters would at least rock it reasonably(Foxy Brown in I shot Ya video) but the down the back, the blonde, big ass hair looks terrible.

RehReh

🖤GhettoEmpress🖤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
I don’t mind natural looking wigs or weaves back in the day people used to just add a few tracks for pops of colour or volume

You would be surprised how many if the celebs rocking weave 24/7 have long healthy hair underneath

I however have never worn weave or wigs
In my life

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
It looks absurd. One day I was on the train at rush hour and every sister on the train had a gotdamn weave. At one point sisters would at least rock it reasonably(Foxy Brown in I shot Ya video) but the down the back, the blonde, big ass hair looks terrible.

Yeah, I'm not going to lie... Lately I've been side eyeing a lot of women with weaves, because of how fake they look. I wish that if we went with the straight hair, more of us got straight hair that looks like our hair when it's straight. And hair like that does exist, because I've gotten it before. But for some reason, the silky hair is worn way more. But, for as many men that complain about it, I see these weaved up girls with husbands and bfs all the time. I even have a friend who's husband buys her hair for her weave LOL!!!!! So, some men must like that silky shyt, even if yall don't. :russ:

OliviaTwist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Souf
Lol. I never did the wash day, when I tried to be natural--I went to the salon. I was working full time and in graduate school at night, and was a single mom of a toddler, ain't nobody had time for all that work.

I do keratin treatments twice a year, it's expensive, but with it my hair is manageable enough for me to do on the daily basis. I go to the salon still for washes and conditioning though lol. I wear my hair straight though, and put heat on it weekly. In the summers, like right now, I do braids. Right now I have goddess locs which I love because I wake up and go. One of my sisters is natural though, and hate to say it, but I try to tell her to go to the salon too... Her hair looks pretty crazy half the time, because she's struggling to take care of it. My other sister wears weaves back to back, to back. I haven't seen her real hair in 4 years. I asked her the other day, "Is there still hair under there?" LOL... She does the full weaves with a closure and everything and gets that silky straight indique hair.

I remember when I went to a wedding a couple of years ago and got a weave. I bought this hot press hair--which is basically hair that looks like pressing comb hair. And the woman who installed it, was like "Why did you get hair like this, why didn't you get that good shyt?"(what she meant was the straight silky hair). SMH. I told her I didn't want to walk around in unbeweavable hair.

Like I mentioned before, sometimes when I see good weaves, I want one, just for a change. But I've been seeing so many bad weaves out here in Charlotte that I'm good on that. I always give props to women that have managed to find a tried and true regimen for their natural hair. At the time when I went natural, I didn't make the time to do it.

One thing I will say is that sometimes I notice a lot of naturals, go natural to grow their hair really long, and get disappointed when it doesn't happen, or when they're still experiencing breakage like they did with relaxers. That's why some of them just go with protective styles like weaves, to grow their out without much manipulation. Then from there, I think it becomes an addiction. Or at least that's what I've been told.

I have a friend who is a damn good hair stylist so her hair always looks good. I was going thru my computer looking at old photos when I came across a pic of us goofing around in a Walmart and realized that was the last time I saw her real hair. This had to be like summer 2011 when we both were home from college. I did the “big chop” Labor Day last year and my hair is behind my shoulders now when straight. I’m struggling handling it now in its natural curly state so I already know I’ll have troubles when it’s longer. These men who sleep in wave caps and durags with maybe a quarter inch of hair can call me whatever but straight hair is definitely more manageable. Especially long term. If their hair ain’t all chewed up and spit out then they can rock the weaves 24/7 for all I care. When done RIGHT it can definitely aid in hair growth.

I’m considering keratin treatments myself since I actually do prefer MY hair just it’s a lot to deal with if it’s not straightened. I don’t wanna go back to relaxers though.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I swear to God i think weaves is the stupidest thing ever...like y dont black women just grow their natural hair and rock dreadlocks or some other not to difficult to manage hairstyle? Some things in this world i will never fukking understand

It’s ridiculous because even African women do this. Brazilian women are the only black women who universally keep their afros with pride

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
I have a friend who is a damn good hair stylist so her hair always looks good. I was going thru my computer looking at old photos when I came across a pic of us goofing around in a Walmart and realized that was the last time I saw her real hair. This had to be like summer 2011 when we both were home from college. I did the “big chop” Labor Day last year and my hair is behind my shoulders now when straight. I’m struggling handling it now in its natural curly state so I already know I’ll have troubles when it’s longer. These men who sleep in wave caps and durags with maybe a quarter inch of hair can call me whatever but straight hair is definitely more manageable. Especially long term. If their hair ain’t all chewed up and spit out then they can rock the weaves 24/7 for all I care. When done RIGHT it can definitely aid in hair growth.

I’m considering keratin treatments myself since I actually do prefer MY hair just it’s a lot to deal with if it’s not straightened. I don’t wanna go back to relaxers though.

Yep. I never cared what people thought about what I did with my hair. I did have a few friends that got mad when I first got the kertain treatment, because I was only natural for about 6 months before I said fukk this. But like I said, it's my hair. I got to live with it, and do it, so I'm doing what works for me. The keratin treatment does make your hair way more manageble than it is when it's 100% natural. BUT, I know some women who have gotten it and have had bad results--hair breakage amongst one of them. It also doesn't get your hair straight like a relaxer. Which is why I put heat on it weekly. I would say that if you like having curls, that you may want a smoothing treatment instead of keratin treatment. I have a friend who wanted to keep her curls, but just wanted her hair more manageble, and unfortunately after she got it, her hair was never the same when it got wet. she had to cut it. I didn't care about that, so... But like you, I wasn't going back to relaxers. So I went with the in between option. I go to a stylist every two weeks, and sometimes more frequently, to help keep it laid straight lol. :yeshrug:

But yeah, weaves can aid in hair growth. I do know a few chicks, who's hair grew a lot from wearing it 24-7 for years, and they stayed on top of trims, and deep conditioning and washing in between weave installs, so their hair was pretty healthy. I can't do weaves 24-7, because I need to get to my scalp. But I like the crochet styles I've been seeing lately and it seems like the best of both worlds...

MaxPain

Hispaniola Exchange Student
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where It’s Not Safe
Ok.

Wow pretty ty reasonable and well written. Still going to find out myself how hard this natural hair stuff is when growing my hair.We shall see. Also glad to see you say men and women aren’t the same and we can’t be judged on the same things equally. I hope I see you in another thread :smile:

LOL I was thinking the same thing...

Bookmarked for later.