How did this weave culture become so great among black women?

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
Whats worse is that they have to buy it at these racist asian beauty stores and own pretty much no share of the overall weave market. And this stuff is not cheap.. black women spend 9 times more than other races on hair and beauty products without owning hardly any of it. Its a losing argument though cause black women have excuse in the book. Nobody wants to admit they hate the texture of their hair. But it is what it is and the excuses are silly. Your natural hair is only difficult to manage when you don't know how to manage it.

The bolded is precisely one of the reasons a lot of black women end up going to weaves, back to relaxers etc. A lot of us don't know how to manage it. Like I was saying in another post, my sister has been natural for 6 years, and is still struggling with managing her hair. Can you help these women do their hair and teach them how to manage it? Especially since you've made the point in saying that it's only difficult to manage when you don't know how to manage it-- so, since you can make that statement I'm assuming that your in place to help these women manage their hair so that it's not difficult.

I agree that BW spend too much money on the weave hair, and that we need to have more ownership in the weave market because we are one of it's largest consumers. It's fukked up honestly. And I wish we did have more ownership of the industry.

Now, I don't really wear weave but I find it hard to believe that BW pay more for weave hair, than other groups. Excuse my ignorance but I thought that the extensions that WW get are more costly than sew in's. And considering the number of WW I know that wear extensions, even though they don't get them done in the same frequency as BW, they do spend a pretty penny on it when they get it done.

When it comes to hair products, you do realize that the BW that spend a lot of money on these hair products, aren't the weave wearers lol? It's the women with natural hair that are spending money on natural hair products which tend to cost more than the regular drugstore hair products that are marketed to white women. So whether BW get weave, or wear their natural they end up spending a lot of money on their hair. I'm not sure if your argument is that BW shouldn't spend that much money on hair, or that BW wouldn't have to if they were natural(when as I said that's not true based on the number of natural women that spend lots of money on higher priced natural hair care products)... Overall, I feel for BW in this area(hair) because a lot of us didn't grow up learning how to take care of natural hair, and our mothers, and their mothers didn't either. Products were only recently marketed for our hair in the first place, and up until recently there was a lot of stigma to natural hair styles. Things have changed a lot, which is great, but that doesn't mean that overnight, women, that for generations have been relaxing hair, are just going to have a handle on how to manage and style their natural hair. It also doesn't mean that the effects of European conditioning still aren't there.

I fully support men not dating women that wear weave, if they don't like it. But other than that, unless your willing to do their hair or help them manage it, don't pretend to be an expert on how easy or the way in which someone else should style their hair.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Dirty Souf
:mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown:

if you read this comment back to yourself and recognize the :mjpls: implications of it... then :snoop:
Keep trying to flip my words around:camby:, I meant like if I wanted a bob (Like in my pfp) I couldn't do that with my natural hair without getting it pressed and then cut.
I'm friends with plenty of naturals, their styles can be cute af but I personally would rather like to have more vesatility with my hair.
I can go from braids to a side parted ponytail to wavy hair to curly hair to straight hair of various lengths, with my natural hair I couldn't do that it would literally be impossible and as the other girls have said natural kinky human hair is expensive af and not everyone has the money to afford to get their hair done all the time.:snoop:
Also not everyone wants to be stuck with a short styles for a year or two, I can personally rock short styles but not everyone can or wants to.:dahell:
Im honestly convinced some of yall are either cacs or c00ns who hate bw.
Yall know damn well yall mom/sister/women in yall family have worn straight/looser texture hair before, and I bet yall aint say shyt to them, a bunch of keyboard c00ns:camby:

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
Lol lot of juelz going on in here. :russ:

Reminds me when women say that watch basketball but don't watch the WNBA lol.
:lolbron:
That cycle continues. :gurl:

51ixN5aBtgL._SY445_.jpg

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
The Juelzing is unbelievable.

Our ancestors went millennia without the goofy shyt, with their natural, "hard to manage," "expensive to care for," hair. They went millennia without a desire to emulate cac hairstyles. But somehow every excuse in the book gets trotted out to explain why we aren't able to care for our hair today.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I made a bet with my sister. I’m actually growing my hair out again, I will not dread it like last time. Im truly curious to see what is so hard about this shyt. 1 1/2 months in and I already have more hair than these 2 girls at my job who have decided to go bald and restart, which is a dam shame. Think I’ll go 1-2 years of natural hair, twist and fros. Then dread it again. Pretty simple shyt, sleep with satin or silk head wrap at night. Moisturize 3-4 tines a week, wash and condition 2 times a week and deep condition on Sunday. Keep hair in twist. Doesn’t seem that hard to me.
That’s a lot of work

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
Whats worse is that they have to buy it at these racist asian beauty stores and own pretty much no share of the overall weave market. And this stuff is not cheap.. black women spend 9 times more than other races on hair and beauty products without owning hardly any of it. Its a losing argument though cause black women have excuse in the book. Nobody wants to admit they hate the texture of their hair. But it is what it is and the excuses are silly. Your natural hair is only difficult to manage when you don't know how to manage it.
You’re Nigerian?:patrice:

kayslay

Daps
The bolded is precisely one of the reasons a lot of black women end up going to weaves, back to relaxers etc. A lot of us don't know how to manage it. Like I was saying in another post, my sister has been natural for 6 years, and is still struggling with managing her hair. Can you help these women do their hair and teach them how to manage it? Especially since you've made the point in saying that it's only difficult to manage when you don't know how to manage it-- so, since you can make that statement I'm assuming that your in place to help these women manage their hair so that it's not difficult.

I agree that BW spend too much money on the weave hair, and that we need to have more ownership in the weave market because we are one of it's largest consumers. It's fukked up honestly. And I wish we did have more ownership of the industry.

Now, I don't really wear weave but I find it hard to believe that BW pay more for weave hair, than other groups. Excuse my ignorance but I thought that the extensions that WW get are more costly than sew in's. And considering the number of WW I know that wear extensions, even though they don't get them done in the same frequency as BW, they do spend a pretty penny on it when they get it done.

When it comes to hair products, you do realize that the BW that spend a lot of money on these hair products, aren't the weave wearers lol? It's the women with natural hair that are spending money on natural hair products which tend to cost more than the regular drugstore hair products that are marketed to white women. So whether BW get weave, or wear their natural they end up spending a lot of money on their hair. I'm not sure if your argument is that BW shouldn't spend that much money on hair, or that BW wouldn't have to if they were natural(when as I said that's not true based on the number of natural women that spend lots of money on higher priced natural hair care products)... Overall, I feel for BW in this area(hair) because a lot of us didn't grow up learning how to take care of natural hair, and our mothers, and their mothers didn't either. Products were only recently marketed for our hair in the first place, and up until recently there was a lot of stigma to natural hair styles. Things have changed a lot, which is great, but that doesn't mean that overnight, women, that for generations have been relaxing hair, are just going to have a handle on how to manage and style their natural hair. It also doesn't mean that the effects of European conditioning still aren't there.

I fully support men not dating women that wear weave, if they don't like it. But other than that, unless your willing to do their hair or help them manage it, don't pretend to be an expert on how easy or the way in which someone else should style their hair.
How exactly are Black women supposed to have a monopoly on the weave market if the hair comes from Asians?

Asians have a monopoly because they are the largest producers of human and synthetic hair fibers.

I’m all for the conversation being had I just get extremely irked by this air of incompetence people try to force on Black people.

Black women make major money off of doing and hair. All of the money is not going to Asians solely.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere

Our ancestors went millennia without the goofy shyt, with their natural, "hard to manage," "expensive to care for," hair. They went millennia without a desire to emulate cac hairstyles. But somehow every excuse in the book gets trotted out to explain why we aren't able to care for our hair today.
Our ancestors wore extensions too. The more textured the hair the more weak points in the hair strand leading to dryer, weaker strands. So textured hair does best when binded up and left alone. Hence why you see so many of our ancestors either keeping it short, not wearing it out often, leaving it in a long term style and not changing it up frequently. Frequent manipulation leads to breakage.

However in this society, if you were to wear one style, people would be like "so when are you gonna do something with your hair?". It's seen as boring and boyish.

kayslay

Daps
Keep trying to flip my words around:camby:, I meant like if I wanted a bob (Like in my pfp) I couldn't do that with my natural hair without getting it pressed and then cut.
I'm friends with plenty of naturals, their styles can be cute af but I personally would rather like to have more vesatility with my hair.
I can go from braids to a side parted ponytail to wavy hair to curly hair to straight hair of various lengths, with my natural hair I couldn't do that it would literally be impossible and as the other girls have said natural kinky human hair is expensive af and not everyone has the money to afford to get their hair done all the time.:snoop:
Also not everyone wants to be stuck with a short styles for a year or two, I can personally rock short styles but not everyone can or wants to.:dahell:
Im honestly convinced some of yall are either cacs or c00ns who hate bw.
Yall know damn well yall mom/sister/women in yall family have worn straight/looser texture hair before, and I bet yall aint say shyt to them, a bunch of keyboard c00ns:camby:
I wear my natural hair 90% of the year but even I switch it up with textured weave, braids, and Blowouts.

I can’t take mfs who wear fades serious in a natural hair debate.
Holler at me when your hair is longer than 3 inches breh

And not that shyt where they only had hair at the very top of their head.
That’s the easy part of hair to grow and maintain.
I’m talking 4inches + all around the head.

Like this

Last edited:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps

It's difficult b/c we have to relearn how to care for ourselves. Nearly every chick in here grew up with permed or pressed hair by force. I actually wanted to go natural in high school after seeing one of my teachers with the prettiest biggest fro in the world. But my mom would have beat my ass if I didn't go to that salon for a touch up. Sooooo of course I literally came home from the first week of college with hair in the buzz cut lol!

But I had to learn how to care for it. Others get an entire world catered to their hair textures, how to manage those rough days, what products to use.
We didn't get any of that and a lot of those techniques for working with kinky hair had been lost for centuries. So it's like a baby starting from scratch.

Also we were told a lot of bullshyt about our hair too. It can't grow or gotta "grease the scalp" or...just nonsense. White supremacy did a number on our race in so many ways. But a lot are learning.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
610641f4af3d5bae0ce5640a4f72555f--afro-textured-hair-luscious-hair.jpg

On a side note, I actually think blk hair is the GOAT hair btw.

It's thick, can mimic dozens of lengths easy b/c of shrinkage, can look good kinky or straightened or twisted in dozens of styles. And no one else on the face of the planet has our hair texture.
CT9UbwVWIAAr-Qw.jpg

ciara-long-black-hair-in-very-curly-afro-with-highlights.jpg

Changes+In+My+Hair+Journey+-+Alicia+James.jpg

naturallesque.jpg

81e33011c4fe65534c64c1c95753916c--natural-hair-growth-long-natural-hair.jpg

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte

A lot of women are natural in 2018, so plenty of these women know how to take care of their hair, just like the ancestors that went millennia wearing their hair natural too. But there are still women that either don't know how to take care of their natural hair, or don't have a desire to for whatever the reason. If you want a natural women, there are plenty. But in the meantime, all these men protesting this, should stop posting pics of instagram thots, or celebrities that clearly have weave in their heads.

Fifteen, even 10 years ago, I can see, why some men would have a bone to pick at BW for not being natural. But in 2018? Like do yall go out. LOL. I haven't been in one city yet, where I haven't seen a lot of BW wearing their natural hair proudly. And with each year, I've known more and more friends that have went natural too. A lot of BW wear weaves, but a lot of BW are also natural.
How exactly are Black women supposed to have a monopoly on the weave market if the hair comes from Asians?

Asians have a monopoly because they are the largest producers of human and synthetic hair fibers.

I’m all for the conversation being had I just get extremely irked by this air of incompetence people try to force on Black people.

Black women make major money off of doing and hair. All of the money is not going to Asians solely.

I meant in terms of owning more beauty supply stores to sell the hair as the middle man(purchasing the hair from
Overseas and then selling it). I know a few black women that did this. But realistically its obviously more complicated than that. I didn’t know that a lot of this weave hair comes from Asia. Again, as I admitted earlier in the thread I don’t wear weave like that, so I didn’t realize that the hair was only coming from Asia. But I have been to beauty supply stores, and every single one has been owned by Asians. Now, it makes sense why, lol—especially if they’re the ones supplying the hair.

Off topic, but the expensive kinky hair that you guys have been talking about, is that coming from Asia too?

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Our ancestors wore extensions too. The more textured the hair the more weak points in the hair strand leading to dryer, weaker strands. So textured hair does best when binded up and left alone. Hence why you see so many of our ancestors either keeping it short, not wearing it out often, leaving it in a long term style and not changing it up frequently. Frequent manipulation leads to breakage.

However in this society, if you were to wear one style, people would be like "so when are you gonna do something with your hair?". It's seen as boring and boyish.

:ehh:

For my information, do you have any examples of the bold off top?

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
NPR Choice page

New Evidence Shows There's Still Bias Against Black Natural Hair

February 6, 20176:01 AM ET

KAREN GRIGSBY BATES

istock-524167610_custom-86fe121b92d804993992db87738b55d9cb92cea3-s800-c85.jpg

A new study confirms that many people — including black ones — have a bias against the types and styles of natural hair worn by black people.

portishead1/Getty Images/iStockphoto
Stories about black women whose employers asked them to cut their dreadlocks or to trim their big afros have surfaced with more frequency in the last few years. Now a new study confirms that many people — including black ones — have a bias against the types and styles of natural hair worn by black people.

The "Good Hair Study" was conducted by Perception Institute, which describes itself as "a consortium of researchers, advocates and strategists" that uses emotional and psychological research to identify and reduce bias in areas such as law enforcement, education, civil justice and the workplace. The study resulted from a partnership with Shea Moisture, a black-owned hair and body products company, and aimed to better understand the connection between implicit bias and textured hair.

The Good Hair Study asked over 4,000 participants to take an online IAT, or implicit association test, which involves rapidly-changing photos of black women with smooth and natural hair, and rotating word associations with both. According to the study, "a majority of people, regardless of race and gender, hold some bias towards women of color based on their hair." But the results also indicate that this bias is learnedbehavior, and can be unlearned.

twice as likely to experience social pressure at work to straighten their hair compared to white women.

The study also concludes that, "White women demonstrate the strongest bias — both explicit and implicit — against textured hair." They rated it as "less beautiful," "less sexy/attractive" and "less professional than smooth hair." However, white women who are in contact with black women naturalistas demonstrated lower levels of bias. Given that white women make up a large majority of the 38 percent of female managers who decide what looks are appropriate for work, legal conflicts sometimes ensue. And courts tend to rule in favor of employers in such cases.

Noliwe Rooks, a Cornell University professor who writes about the intersection of beauty and race, says for some reason, natural black hair just frightens some white people. "I have yet to come across an actual court case ... where the texture of hair for another racial group has reached the point of a court case," she said.

The good news is that natural hair has become increasingly popular, as black women decide to give their hair a break from chemicals and heat. The Boston Globe reported that "sales of hair relaxer dropped from $206 million in 2008 to $152 million in 2013."

At the same time, demand for products for natural hair began to increase. Tellingly, beauty companies outside the black beauty and hair industries began to notice. Carol's Daughter was bought by L'Oréal in 2014. Today, numerous non-black-owned hair-products companies have lines for naturally curly hair. There are even online curl pattern charts that "grade" curls' looseness or tightness to guide the towards products that will work best for her.

It seems the naturalistas are making inroads.

Certainly, popular culture is infused with images of women with natural, unstraightened hair: Tracee Ellis Ross, Yara Shahidi and Marsai Martin have all gotten praise for frequently going au naturelleon their hit show Black-ish. Esperanza Spaulding reigns over her bass with a towering Afro. NBC viewers reeled when Tamron Hall traded her slick pixie for a little curly fro in 2014.

So for younger people, natural hair is just that — a natural, obvious thing to wear. Even the U.S. Army got on board after an initial stumble. If trends signal what's ahead, workplaces may eventually become safe havens for natural hair, which has endured as a touchstone in racial politics for far too long.

Racist ass PAWGs...:hhh::camby: