How did this weave culture become so great among black women?

DON MA MA

Midnight
Daps
Reppin
TEXAS
WHEN MEN STARTED shytTING ON WOMEN WIRH NATURAL LOOKS.

I've heard ppl say jokes about women looking like Tracy Chapman, Hair looks like a dirty tennis ball, Whoopi Goldberg hair, Ceelie platts etc....

Natural hair is definitely more accepted now than like in the early 2000's where "Do something with your hair" was told to Jill Scott, Erykah and India Ire...

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
it's seems like all woman try to look like each other. White woman out here getting lip filler and booty injections. Tanning products is a billion dollar industry.
at this point in my life i've seen more white women with dreads than i've seen black woman with dreads.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Also, men can not compare their hair to women's. Yall have an abundance of testosterone that causes your hair to be thicker. More layers of cuticles= more protection = less breakage = more length.

Long hair, good skin and nails on a woman is seen as beautiful and feminine because those are signs of good health. Skin hair and nails are low priorities when it comes to how nutrients are delievered in the body. Hair, skin and nails are the first places to become inflammed, dry and brittle when you lack vitamins and nutrients.

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
A weave is a weave- no matter what the texture

I disagree your not considering the connotations it has in society, you'll never see a professional white woman wear weaves/wigs of black or african natural hair.

There's nothing wrong with weaves but when we wear other cultures hair so prominently I do believe undertones of self-hate, white supremacy, colorism, and the racist history of colonization and slavery are reinforced even if its the women trying to look cute at the individual level.

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
I made a bet with my sister. I’m actually growing my hair out again, I will not dread it like last time. Im truly curious to see what is so hard about this shyt. 1 1/2 months in and I already have more hair than these 2 girls at my job who have decided to go bald and restart, which is a dam shame. Think I’ll go 1-2 years of natural hair, twist and fros. Then dread it again. Pretty simple shyt, sleep with satin or silk head wrap at night. Moisturize 3-4 tines a week, wash and condition 2 times a week and deep condition on Sunday. Keep hair in twist. Doesn’t seem that hard to me.
Exactly you’re wearing the same 3 styles.
Women prefer to switch it up.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
For real tho, all the men complaining about straight textured weave please put your money where your mouth is and donate so i can get some kinky clip ins
$CinnaSlim

For_Kinks_Wefted_250x325.jpg

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
Black women imo are damed if they do and damed if they dont
  1. See black women are in a tight spot if they wear their hair natural and don't maintain it properly that can lead to terrible breakage and damage. It can look bad just hours after maintaining it too and some women's hair is too thin or damaged beyond the point of return for it.
  2. If they wear weaves and wigs they appear as if they are self hating and it is repulsive to some guys.
  3. If they press relax and straighten their hair all the time it can permanently damage the roots and strands of hair and seen as self hating as well.
images
tila_curly_indian_remy_hair_lace_front_wig_for_black_woman.jpg
e6dd099ec38bf7f2e49340000a609a2e.jpg

I dont judge women who wear weaves or wigs anymore. Wigs are better imo than weaves or straightened hair and I love natural hair the most.

BaileyPark31

Love, Peace, Health, and Wealth
Daps
Reppin
The Keystone State
The thing I find jarring is elderly woman whose obviously 50+ in age wearing wigs thats not really age appropriate. The hair looks like it belongs on a 20 year old, with no sort of grey/white streaks or aging at all.

:skip: My niece's grandmother stays rocking a blonde Beyonce weave.

I just look at her like :why: :comeon:

:russ: