How did this weave culture become so great among black women?

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
USA: Relaxer sales fall but Black haircare market is booming, thanks to natural hair movement

The natural hair movement is fuelling growth in the Black haircare market, as beauty fans get back to basics, new research has found.

A survey noted that 40% of participants said that maintaining healthy hair was a priority for them. (Photo: © PeopleImages / Istock.com)

According to market intelligence agency Mintel, Black consumer expenditure of shampoo increased by 13% between 2015 and 2017, and now claims an estimated 19% share of the market. The trend is set to continue this year, with shampoo sales among Black consumers expected to reach an estimated US $473 million in 2017 - the largest percent growth seen in the category in the last five years. Conditioner sales, which currently hold an estimated 19% of the market, are expected to grow 3.5% this year to reach an estimated US $491 million.

Meanwhile, relaxer sales are falling, dropping 36.6% between 2012-17.

"Wearing relaxer-free, natural hair is the norm for most Black consumers, especially among young, trendy consumers who are adopting a variety of styles appropriate for work and play," said Toya Mitchell, Multicultural Analyst at Mintel, in a statement. "Interest in chemical-free hair, a desire for healthy hair and new methods of achieving straight hairstyles are rendering relaxers unnecessary for many consumers."

The research found that 79% of consumers have worn a natural hairstyle in the past year (leading up to May 2017), and 40% of participants said that maintaining healthy hair was a priority for them. Just under one third (29%) avoid unhealthy hair styling techniques, and 52% said their haircare regimen consisted of 3-4 products.

Overall, Mintel estimates that consumer expenditure on Black haircare in 2017 will total US $2.54 billion, falling just 0.4 percent from the prior year.

"Black consumers wearing their hair naturally is no longer an emerging trend, rather the way forward," concluded Mitchell.

To read the full Mintel report, see US Black Haircare Industry Report (Updated 2017) | Mintel.com

AFP/Relaxnews

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
:ehh:

For my information, do you have any examples of the bold off top?
People have already posted, Himba and Egyptians, plenty people of West Africa utilized African threading which used fibers to create some of their unique styles.

I looked up different African ethnic groups with my hair texture during when I first was growing out my loose hair and I studied the Science of Black Hair. #doubleentendre

Long term braids and extensions protect the hair by keeping it bounded, stretched and preventing it from tangling up.

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
]
A lot of women are natural in 2018, so plenty of these women know how to take care of their hair, just like the ancestors that went millennia wearing their hair natural too. But there are still women that either don't know how to take care of their natural hair, or don't have a desire to for whatever the reason. If you want a natural women, there are plenty. But in the meantime, all these men protesting this, should stop posting pics of instagram thots, or celebrities that clearly have weave in their heads.

Fifteen, even 10 years ago, I can see, why some men would have a bone to pick at BW for not being natural. But in 2018? Like do yall go out. LOL. I haven't been in one city yet, where I haven't seen a lot of BW wearing their natural hair proudly. And with each year, I've known more and more friends that have went natural too. A lot of BW wear weaves, but a lot of BW are also natural.

I meant in terms of owning more beauty supply stores to sell the hair as the middle man(purchasing the hair from
Overseas and then selling it). I know a few black women that did this. But realistically its obviously more complicated than that. I didn’t know that a lot of this weave hair comes from Asia. Again, as I admitted earlier in the thread I don’t wear weave like that, so I didn’t realize that the hair was only coming from Asia. But I have been to beauty supply stores, and every single one has been owned by Asians. Now, it makes sense why, lol—especially if they’re the ones supplying the hair.

Off topic, but the expensive kinky hair that you guys have been talking about, is that coming from Asia too?
There are a lot of Black owned beauty salons in my city. I see a lot of women slowly starting to sale hair care products( bonnets, shampoos, conditioner, edge control, and etc) and of course selling hair.
A lot of girls are starting to buy braiding hair in bulk and sell and include it with braid price.

I don’t know not one salon in my city that doesn’t double as a boutique and or beauty supply!

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
]

There are a lot of Black owned beauty salons in my city. I see a lot of women slowly starting to sale hair care products( bonnets, shampoos, conditioner, edge control, and etc) and of course selling hair.
A lot of girls are starting to buy braiding hair in bulk and sell and include it with braid price.

I don’t know not one salon in my city that doesn’t double as a boutique and or beauty supply!

I wasn’t talking about beauty salons though. I meant beauty supply stores. I’ve lived in various cities, and every time I’ve went into a beauty supply store, they were owned by Asians. As I said in another post, I do know black women that purchase hair in bulk and sell it too. I’ve been to salons in my city and in others, where I’ve seen clients bring in hair that they bought elsewhere for the stylists to install. I’ve also been to salons, where the stylist also supplied the hair. So it really depends. I personally think it’s smart for stylists who install weaves to also supply the hair for the clients, but like I’ve said, I’ve been at salons and watched while clients had bags of weave hair that they bought from somewhere else. I never asked them where they got their hair, but assumed it was either from a beauty supply store, or from somewhere online. The few times I got weave, I bought it online. I knew the beauty supply hair was silky and probably trash. The stylist didn’t supply the hair so that wasn’t an option, so I bought it online ignorant to where it was coming from. and like I said, when I brought this coarse straight hair for the stylist to install, a few years ago, she was tripping about the texture and even advised me what kind of hair to get the next time. She told me the beauty supply store had it lol!!!

In any case most of the salons I’ve been to are black owned, so there’s no disputing that. Just like all of the barbershops I’ve been to when taking my son to get his hair cut have been black owned too.

Last edited:

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
I wasn’t talking about beauty salons though. I meant beauty supply stores. I’ve lived in various cities, and every time I’ve went into a beauty supply store, they were owned by Asians. As I said in another post, I do know black women that purchase hair in bulk and sell it too. I’ve been to salons in my city and in others, where I’ve seen clients bring in hair that they bought elsewhere for the stylists to install. I’ve also been to salons, where the stylist also supplied the hair. So it really depends. I personally think it’s smart for stylists who install weaves to also supply the hair for the clients, but like I’ve said, I’ve been at salons and watched while clients had bags of weave hair that they bought from somewhere else. I never asked them where they got their hair, but assumed it was either from a beauty supply store, or from somewhere online. The few times I got weave, I bought it online. I knew the beauty supply hair was silky and probably trash. The stylist didn’t supply the hair so that wasn’t an option, so I bought it online ignorant to where it was coming from. and like I said, when I brought this coarse straight hair for the stylist to install, a few years ago, she was tripping about the texture and even advised me what kind of hair to get the next time. She told me the beauty supply store had it lol!!!

In any case most of the salons I’ve been to are black owned, so there’s no disputing that. Just like all of the barbershops I’ve been to when taking my son to get his hair cut have been black owned too.
I clearly said they are expanding their beauty salons into beauty supply stores.
We live in two different cities and have different experiences. It’s ok!

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
My thing is I fukkin hate that blonde shyt. It's fukking embarrassing to our race. And it ain't got shyt to do with dating because I also hate to see little 5 or 6 year old girls can't even Goddamn walk yet but got they hair straightened or got some weave in they head. That shyt ain't healthy for kids mentally in regards to who they are as black people.

Reminds me of when I was in college and for whatever reason the white male professor asked a big Mother Love looking chick what her favorite hair color was and she said blond:scust:no type of self awareness, pride, or anything.

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
I clearly said they are expanding their beauty salons into beauty supply stores.
We live in two different cities and have different experiences. It’s ok!

What you said is that in your city many of the salons which are black owned sell products and hair too. That wasn’t something I was disputing. In fact I mentioned that I know bw that sell it lol. I was pointing to the fact that in many places bw are still purchasing from Asian beauty supply stores. And that in many places Asians own beauty supply stores and their main clientele are still black women. And that there are still salons that require clients to bring their own hair.

I’ve lived in many other cities as I’ve pointed out, so it isn’t just my present city(which I’ve only lived in since feb) where I’ve had this experience. And even in my present city, for every salon that provides products and hair, there are those that do not. Still, when I get closer to the areas with mostly black demographics I still see several Asian beauty supply stores with black patrons. So they’re getting business. Maybe I should have been more clear and said I would love to see more Black beauty supply stores everywhere.

But at this point going tit for tat about this is silly. I think we both at least agree that there are bw that sell hair and products to clients.

Last edited:

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Women and men have a different set of standards. What makes a women desirable is often tied to how she looks, and how "motherly" or feminine she is. For men, it's tied to his ability to lead, provide, and protect. So nah, their really isn't a standard of beauty for men, the way it is for women. You can't compare the two. Sure, attractive men are desirable and tend to do better in some aspects than unattractive men, but overall, a men's "value" or "desirability" in this country, is not tied to his looks the same way it is for women.

In any case, for women, in america, WW have always been the "standard" of beauty. Where as for men, WM have been the "standard" in terms of their ability to provide, build wealth, etc.

So when you consider it like that... Both WW and WM are the standards in this country, and just as BW get flak for their hair, how they look, their behavior and so on, BM get flak for their inability to provide, lead, father their children etc. Neither groups have "met" the standards collectively, and have gotten flak from their counterparts for not meeting them(in BM's case), or for trying to (BW).

Anyway, you can't compare men and women, lol. And it's weird when yall try. It's not the same, because men and women aren't seen the same. The way things are going,(with all this transgender shyt and extreme feminist shyt) people are trying to make everyone the "same", and equalize struggles, but the reality is that women and men are different.

So it's sus as fukk when men try to compare or compete with women.

These subtle shoots thrown at black men in this post :pachaha:

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
I swear to God i think weaves is the stupidest thing ever...like y dont black women just grow their natural hair and rock dreadlocks or some other not to difficult to manage hairstyle? Some things in this world i will never fukking understand

you should be worried about the pound of makeup birds be using, wake up next to the them the next morning with their makeup all gone and it's like :damn: when you see their face for what it really is

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
These subtle shoots thrown at black men in this post :pachaha:

Ok.

Is it not true that when people go at bm it’s always about them not taking care of their children, not being able to provide for their communities, the lack of collective wealth.etc—compared to their male counterparts? Likewise is it not true that when people go at bw it’s about their lack of femininity, their hair, their attitudes, their bad decision making in sleeping with bad men and getting pregnant from them, and in some cases, their looks? In comparison to their female counterparts?

Women aren’t judged by their ability or inability to provide the way men are, and men are not judged based on the same beauty standards that are applied to women. Because men and women are different and do face different pressures in our society. So it doesnt make sense for bm to compare themselves to bw when it comes to beauty standards... That was my point.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
People have already posted, Himba and Egyptians, plenty people of West Africa utilized African threading which used fibers to create some of their unique styles.

I looked up different African ethnic groups with my hair texture during when I first was growing out my loose hair and I studied the Science of Black Hair. #doubleentendre

Long term braids and extensions protect the hair by keeping it bounded, stretched and preventing it from tangling up.
We are so cool.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
So 4c has the tightest curl pattern I think
And due to this it can be fragile. There are a lot of misconceptions. People think blk hair with the tightest curl patterns doesn't or can't grow long.
images

b4881ae2fd8b25f0702de0d026ea57e5--natural-curls-natural-beauty.jpg

This is false. What happens is b/c this hair is so fragile, it often breaks faster than it grows. Imagine putting heat, tension, drying chemicals, harsh tugging and manipulation on this texture. It will never retain growth.
However with low manipulation, moisture (not excessive grease) and avoiding heat and chemicals, this hair grows like wildfire!
People also think this tight texture doesn't grow because of shrinkage.
This hair can look short but actually retain up to 70% of its actual length in its hair pattern.
natural-hair-shrinkage-1-180x300.jpg
9d93f657a88011867bcc2156a765868e.jpg

I've known some blks and racist whites who ignorantly try to clown natural chicks saying shyt like they can't grow hair past their noses.

All lies. Misconceptions. Blk women have had to wade thru an entire propaganda machine to figure out their own strands with no help from the world the way other races have an entire beauty industry that caters to them. Ah well. Just gotta grow past the haters and the bullshyt.