Has there been a widely successful brand new Triple A IP 3rd party game in the last few years?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Well it does say 3rd party in the title :ohhh:
:hubie:Don't tase me bro.
As much as I play video games, it may come as a surprise to some that I'm not up on what company did what and who is who.
More than half the time ya'll are in here naming names I have no clue who you all are talking about.
I'm well versed in games themselves, not so much the business behind the games.
Case in point, I assumed Sucker Punch (who if I recall correctly is who made Ghost of Tsushima and Infamous) was a 3rd party studio that made the game and chose for it to be PS exclusive. But as I'm typing this, I'm vaguely remembering that Sony bought them right?
I don't know, let me do my googles so I can properly nerd out with ya'll.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
:hubie:Don't tase me bro.
As much as I play video games, it may come as a surprise to some that I'm not up on what company did what and who is who.
More than half the time ya'll are in here naming names I have no clue who you all are talking about.
I'm well versed in games themselves, not so much the business behind the games.
Case in point, I assumed Sucker Punch (who if I recall correctly is who made Ghost of Tsushima and Infamous) was a 3rd party studio that made the game and chose for it to be PS exclusive. But as I'm typing this, I'm vaguely remembering that Sony bought them right?
I don't know, let me do my googles so I can properly nerd out with ya'll.

You can't be serious. You on these boards and in those very threads specifically more than enough over the years that feigning ignorance, nor convenient amensia are not the cards that you can play. Not on this topic and definitely not on that game.

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
OP is right. It is harder than ever for a new third party IP to get traction in the AAA space. You need funding for that these games cost millions of dollars to make. Plus marketing ain't cheap either. Looking at the game space as it is now companies aren't taking risks like they used to especially with the costs of games and how fickle fans are.

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
You can't be serious. You on these boards and in those very threads specifically more than enough over the years that feigning ignorance, nor convenient amensia are not the cards that you can play. Not on this topic and definitely not on that game.

He's the same guy I'm pretty sure who tried to say to me that PC doesn't have large library of must play games...
Not really surprising to me

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

:manny: That's a silly thing to lie about but ok.
Forgive me for not being the nerd ya'll want me to be.
I promise to do better. I will be better. :mjcry:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
He's the same guy I'm pretty sure who tried to say to me that PC doesn't have large library of must play games...
Not really surprising to me
That's not what I said. I said PC Stans can't name must have games for PC.
PC stans apparently get offended if you ask them that question for some reason.
It's actually a very unique situation.
If you ask a PS, Xbox, or Switch Stan what are the must have games they'll immediately rattle off 20 games in numerical order.
PC Stans say :damn:"do you even care about 240 fps in Minecraft!?!?!?"

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
That's not what I said. I said PC Stans can't name must have games for PC.
PC stans apparently get offended if you ask them that question for some reason.
It's actually a very unique situation.
If you ask a PS, Xbox, or Switch Stan what are the must have games they'll immediately rattle off 20 games in numerical order.
PC Stans say :damn:"do you even care about 240 fps in Minecraft!?!?!?"
:mjlol: if that's not what you said then what are you implying by asking the question?
Heres your list and this is off the dome: Half Life, half life 2, Elden Ring, all the GTAs, Civ4-6, league of legends, Tony Hawk Pro skater 4, Tony hawk underground 1 and 2, world of warcraft, Red dead redemption 2, dark souls 1-3, Sekiro, elder scrolls oblivion and skyrim, fallout new Vegas, Portal 1 and 2, Bioshock 1 2 and infinite, Street fighter 5, Baldurs gate 1-3...do you want me to keep going?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
:mjlol: if that's not what you said then what are you implying by asking the question?
Heres your list and this is off the dome: Half Life, half life 2, Elden Ring, all the GTAs, Civ4-6, league of legends, Tony Hawk Pro skater 4, Tony hawk underground 1 and 2, world of warcraft, Red dead redemption 2, dark souls 1-3, Sekiro, elder scrolls oblivion and skyrim, fallout new Vegas, Portal 1 and 2, Bioshock 1 2 and infinite, Street fighter 5, Baldurs gate 1-3...do you want me to keep going?
I think he means games that are exclusively PC. Every game you just listed, almont none of them do you need a PC to play. And I get to some that's not the point...but if that's the point of the question then.....

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

I think he means games that are exclusively PC. Every game you just listed, almont none of them do you need a PC to play. And I get to some that's not the point...but if that's the point of the question then.....
I mean...it's a common trope internet wide and also seen here in the Arcadium that console gamers are "peasants" and in some way or another deprived of a true gaming experience. I could dig through the original question you're referencing but I'll just restate what I've stated many times before while trying to not completely antagonize the PC hive mind into a blind frenzy.
I've never stated there are no must play games on PC. I simply asked what are the must play games on PC that I can't play on a console.
When PC gamers scream "PC Master Race! Console Peasants!", I'm genuinely interested in what those amazing games they're playing that I am not.
I don't even enjoy playing a video game on a monitor at a desk to begin with let alone in 2K resolution to brag about 240fps.
I love the experience I get on my 65" LG OLED sitting at my couch with my 7.1 surround sound system.
I'm on record in this forum with my stance on more "P's and FPS's" isn't the end all be all to me.
Sure, I understand the benefit of more frames a second vs resolution, but at the end of the day, if we're all just playing the same games, then I'm always going to revert to the $500 console that gives me amazing graphics, great FPS, and is plug and play every single time.
I bought a gaming PC last year (or a little over last year). I don't recall the exact specs at the moment but it has a 3080 video card, 48 gigs of ram, and I forget the processor but it's a Ryzen something or other. Point being, I spent a few weeks down the steam, GOG, epic, rabbit holes and was having a hard time finding games I hadn't played before....and the games I did play before...the experience was not so much better that I ever even considered playing on PC over console. Skins, mods, etc, don't do it for me. That's cool for the people that care about that. For me, the conversation is simple...and it's consistent with my Sony stannery...what exclusives are we talking about when we say this console/platform is better than the other because when we speak about multiplats the conversation is less interesting to me. Stans...on all sides...but more so PC Stans...would like to pretend the PC to Console gap is like you guys are playing Ready Player One and we are still playing Pong on Atari.

Edit:
Someone recommended Black Mesa to me a couple months ago and I absolutely love that game.
Arma is a fantastic game as well.
Then there's Star Craft 2 which I enjoy quite a bit.