Has there been a widely successful brand new Triple A IP 3rd party game in the last few years?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Elden ring is a “new ip” in name, but the hype that carried it came from the success of its predecessors.

AAA games pretty much need a built in fanbase to be successful these days.

Reviewers, influencers, commentators pretty much trash anything that doesn’t have hype attached to it.

The industry has created a dumb ass bubble, then wonder why so many studios end up closing:smh:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Idk if Cyberpunk is wildly successful. I wouldn't be surprised not to see anything more from the cyberpunk universe after this expansion at all. Especially if it doesn't do numbers.

Supposedly they're at over 20 million sold, and they've said they plan on the sequel entering the R&D phase by next year.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Supposedly they're are over 20 million sold, and they've said they plan on the sequel entering the R&D phase by next year.

Right. No game that sells 20 million copies in two years is considered “unsuccessful” and yeah, the sequel is in development and will also probably sell 20m

Cyberpunk already had its redemption arc in regards to public perception

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you gotta add in like 5 qualifiers this ain’t really worthy of a discussion. Every game is based off something at this point

:beli: a game thats not just a spiritual successor made by the same publisher.

So many qualifiers.

And even if you wanted to add ER on technicals that all of what? 1?

Seems like brand new triple A 3rd party games are hardly worth the risk for big publishers.

Especially ones that don't involve microtransactions, DLC or some type of GAAS features.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
So many qualifiers.
  1. Has to be AAA
  2. Has to be new IP
  3. Has to be 3rd Party
  4. Can’t be heavily inspired by anything else
  5. Released this past generation
I get what you’re ultimately trying to say, which yeah, it sucks how expensive and how long game development has gotten which leads to less risk taking for new IP. Thats why i always root for new stuff even if I don’t personally care for the game, especially single player stuff.

I also see it less as a problem with game developers/publishers and more on the fans. Every new IP that comes out gets a shoulder shrug or shytted on if its not by a famous director or studio.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thinking back to like 2021,

Deathloop was probably the only game that year, back for blood flopped, scarlet nexus probably has done ok, can't think of anything else.

ghostwire I guess did ok? No clue what else was there Callisto protocol? Elden ring massive success...but again it's basically just a refined dark souls (which there is nothing wrong with)

Wild hearts did ok, not enough to stay afloat, wo long appears to be doing well. Atlas fallen is probably a flop, Immortals just came out and I don't know a single person that has bought or played it.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
AAA gaming is dying and the industry will be better off for it.