Has there been a widely successful brand new Triple A IP 3rd party game in the last few years?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Deathloop and Ghostwire were fairly successful.
Gohstwire didn’t do well till a couple updates, sales and releasing on gamepass.

Without 1st party backing Ghostwire is the type of game that could kill a studio

And it was a great game that got unfairly judged in reviews.

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What a stupid thread

1. Has to be AAA
  2. Has to be new IP
  3. Has to be 3rd Party
  4. Can’t be heavily inspired by anything else
  5. Released this past generation
I get what you’re ultimately trying to say, which yeah, it sucks how expensive and how long game development has gotten which leads to less risk taking for new IP. Thats why i always root for new stuff even if I don’t personally care for the game, especially single player stuff.

I also see it less as a problem with game developers/publishers and more on the fans. Every new IP that comes out gets a shoulder shrug or shytted on if its not by a famous director or studio.
So you're moving goal posts?:wtf:

Sony Stan's furious for some reason.

Thread asked about new 3rd party IPS and "it's dumb" and I'm "splitting hairs"

#shambles

:mjlol:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
also see it less as a problem with game developers/publishers and more on the fans. Every new IP that comes out gets a shoulder shrug or shytted on if its not by a famous director or studio.
This is perpetuated by the industry itself. Reviewers and commentators are much harsher on games they don’t have an attachment to.

New IP that doesn’t already have built in hype always get scrutinized more heavily.

On top of the fact that new IP usualy don’t have the same marketing budget as established games or first party stuff. So the devs can’t fly out reviewers and wine and dine them and explain their “vision” for a favorable outcome.

I can’t think of one new IP without 1st party backing that has gotten really good scores and coverage from the gaming press recently.

It’s created a bubble to where if your game doesn’t have a built in fanbase or hype cycle it’s probably not worth the investment.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
  1. Has to be AAA
  2. Has to be new IP
  3. Has to be 3rd Party
  4. Can’t be heavily inspired by anything else
  5. Released this past generation
I get what you’re ultimately trying to say, which yeah, it sucks how expensive and how long game development has gotten which leads to less risk taking for new IP. Thats why i always root for new stuff even if I don’t personally care for the game, especially single player stuff.

I also see it less as a problem with game developers/publishers and more on the fans. Every new IP that comes out gets a shoulder shrug or shytted on if its not by a famous director or studio.

1 and 4 can't coexist.

You aren't getting the budget for a AAA game today without a proven concept or business plan that is derived from previously successful/popular games or mechanics.