Has there been a widely successful brand new Triple A IP 3rd party game in the last few years?

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The only game I can think of where the hook isn't it being a new spin on a devs already existing IP is Overwatch. Destiny would be the other one. Even in those cases the hype was built off them being made by Blizzard and Bungie. If you want to find a AAA game that just blew up without any studio pedigree helping the hype you gotta go back to like the first Dead Space. Breaking into the AAA space as a completely new entity like the Immortals devs is basically impossible nowadays.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The only game I can think of where the hook isn't it being a new spin on a devs already existing IP is Overwatch. Destiny would be the other one. Even in those cases the hype was built off them being made by Blizzard and Bungie. If you want to find a AAA game that just blew up without any studio pedigree helping the hype you gotta go back to like the first Dead Space. Breaking into the AAA space as a completely new entity like the Immortals devs is basically impossible nowadays.

Overwatch is just Team Fortress

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I agree with you here, was just clearing it up for @Kamikaze Revy

I’ve dabbled in the master race on and off over the years.

Spending time and money on game performance is like the hobby itself, actually playing the games is almost secondary.

If you don’t get enjoyment out of the pursuit and accomplishment of top performance, then it’s not worth it imo.

There was a time in my life where i did get enjoyment out of it. Right now, i just wanna play games :manny:
Yep. I agree, 100%.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
People complain about the lack of originality in gaming, then everybody only cares about sequels or legacy titles to the point where new IP are viewed as a threat to fans of legacy IP.

Like GTA was used to attack Cyberpunk, and now Cyberpunk has been used to attack Starfield. Cyberpunk and Starfield are lucky in that they have huge monetary backing and a built in fan base to fall back on, so they will be just fine commercially. Other games that don’t have that base, don’t stand a chance in the way games are covered and talked about these days.

If you had 200mil to invest in a game right now it’s stupid NOT to be making a sequel or well established IP.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People complain about the lack of originality in gaming, then everybody only cares about sequels or legacy titles to the point where new IP are viewed as a threat to fans of legacy IP.

Like GTA was used to attack Cyberpunk, and now Cyberpunk has been used to attack Starfield. Cyberpunk and Starfield are lucky in that they have huge monetary backing and a built in fan base to fall back on, so they will be just fine commercially. Other games that don’t have that base, don’t stand a chance in the way games are covered and talked about these days.

If you had 200mil to invest in a game right now it’s stupid NOT to be making a sequel or well established IP.
Games being used to criticize other games been happening since double dragon/river city Ransom and Mario/Sonic and many other games in all genres.

I do agree in this day a lot of gamers don’t give new ips a chance like they used to. Personally I’m always looking for something different and I support by spreading the word and buying. The Arcadium would be better if we talked more about new and different games rather than constantly bringing up console wars.

I think there’s enough space for both but I see most of us only play recognizable games. Even myself, there’s been some games I didn’t think were good at first glance but people like @42 Monks
@The Mad Titan and even you meach have spoke on indie games and I later checked them out and enjoyed them.

As far as Starfield is concerned that game was going to be heavily scrutinized from the jump even if it was on PlayStation. Maybe not as much but it’s Bethesda, people view their games just like Ubisoft

Another example is Lies of P I’ve taken shots at that game but the more I look at it the more I realize it’s probably a game I’ll like so I’ll give it a shot come end of the year

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
“PC master race” is about playing the same games, just better.
Yeah…marginally and many cases and that’s not even mentioning the technical hiccups they commonly have. Even my most die hard pc Stans stay crying up their games just not working properly to some degree or another from one day to the next.
But I digress….I’m just focused on the actual games…they can miss me with the more frames and mods. That’s just not for me and I don’t see it as a bragging point.
My boy is proud as hell he can run Warzone in 240fps. I finally got a round to seeing his settings and this dude was playing with no grass and the guns looking like golden eye. Like,..ok breh…you got it. Pc master race for the win. Lol

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
I mean...it's a common trope internet wide and also seen here in the Arcadium that console gamers are "peasants" and in some way or another deprived of a true gaming experience. I could dig through the original question you're referencing but I'll just restate what I've stated many times before while trying to not completely antagonize the PC hive mind into a blind frenzy.
I've never stated there are no must play games on PC. I simply asked what are the must play games on PC that I can't play on a console.
When PC gamers scream "PC Master Race! Console Peasants!", I'm genuinely interested in what those amazing games they're playing that I am not.
I don't even enjoy playing a video game on a monitor at a desk to begin with let alone in 2K resolution to brag about 240fps.
I love the experience I get on my 65" LG OLED sitting at my couch with my 7.1 surround sound system.
I'm on record in this forum with my stance on more "P's and FPS's" isn't the end all be all to me.
Sure, I understand the benefit of more frames a second vs resolution, but at the end of the day, if we're all just playing the same games, then I'm always going to revert to the $500 console that gives me amazing graphics, great FPS, and is plug and play every single time.
I bought a gaming PC last year (or a little over last year). I don't recall the exact specs at the moment but it has a 3080 video card, 48 gigs of ram, and I forget the processor but it's a Ryzen something or other. Point being, I spent a few weeks down the steam, GOG, epic, rabbit holes and was having a hard time finding games I hadn't played before....and the games I did play before...the experience was not so much better that I ever even considered playing on PC over console. Skins, mods, etc, don't do it for me. That's cool for the people that care about that. For me, the conversation is simple...and it's consistent with my Sony stannery...what exclusives are we talking about when we say this console/platform is better than the other because when we speak about multiplats the conversation is less interesting to me. Stans...on all sides...but more so PC Stans...would like to pretend the PC to Console gap is like you guys are playing Ready Player One and we are still playing Pong on Atari.

Edit:
Someone recommended Black Mesa to me a couple months ago and I absolutely love that game.
Arma is a fantastic game as well.
Then there's Star Craft 2 which I enjoy quite a bit.
All I read is you bought a PC like it was gonna be a console and bought it for the wrong reasons because you got bad information when doing your research and now you're running around downplaying PC. Then you showed your ignorance in here again because you didn't even know Ghost of Tsushima was not a 3rd party game...we get it you just play games this is a thread about the games industry as whole which you obviously don't keep up with and that's fine that's really what it's about anyways

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
I posted it because I've asked him before and he was going to say exclusives and I already had a conversation with him about that in another thread but again he asks the question...let me see if I can find the quote where I answered it.

@Khalil's_Black_Excellence heres the exchange I mentioned.
:manny:PC gaming overrated for real for real.
I bought a topish end PC last year and haven't really done any gaming on it outside of playing Black Mesa (The Half Life remaster), Starcraft 2, and a couple Minecraft mods.

I've asked my boys that play PC heavily for "must have" PC exclusives that I need to check out and they always mention either stuff that's available on console or some super obscure pixel retro graphics gothic occult games or super shock violence games that I have no interest in.

I'm cool to be corrected, I just haven't seen any PC games that felt like "must haves" exclusive to the platform.
FPS and Resolution over existing console games has never really moved me like that.

You don't buy PC for exclusives :dahell:

You buy for 60 fps+ gaming, customization options, mods, graphical fidelity, emulation capabilities, cheaper games overall, the biggest game library on planet earth, option to use whatever controller you want, etc.

The ONLY reasons to buy consoles are the ease of use, the exclusive games, and less expensive. that's it. You're applying console arguments to PC when PC has literally always been about the opposite of exclusivity. It's the most open platform.

What are the “must play” games on PC?

Are you asking about exclusives? If so read my last paragraph again. Otherwise you have the biggest library on planet earth of games...if I made a list of must play games available on the platform it would be way too long...

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
All I read is you bought a PC like it was gonna be a console and bought it for the wrong reasons because you got bad information when doing your research and now you're running around downplaying PC. Then you showed your ignorance in here again because you didn't even know Ghost of Tsushima was not a 3rd party game...we get it you just play games this is a thread about the games industry as whole which you obviously don't keep up with and that's fine that's really what it's about anyways
I bought the PC for my video production business. It served that purpose very well until I replaced it with an M2 Max Max Studio.
I brought the pc home to round out my gaming set ups. Have been underwhelmed with the amount of exclusive content for pc, which is a statement that seemingly continues to wound pc Stans

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
@Khalil's_Black_Excellence heres the exchange I mentioned.
Your quotes contradict your initial response to me in this thread that lead down this spiral of nothing lol.
I didn’t bring up pc anything in this thread, you did by misquoting me. I never said PC has no games.
Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it? :huhldup: