Gov. Newsom Signs Law For Black Americans (FBA/Freedmen) To Be Identified As A Separate Group

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Newsome allegedly said he wasn’t gonna run this cycle.

I wouldn’t bank on that.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That's not true, California does have it's own history of Black slavery, you should educate yourself more on slavery in California especially

As the article says, California was a free state at the time and any slaveowners who held onto their slaves were circumventing the law. That's why the example you posted is a guy who straight-up won his freedom through the courts. I don't think that should be conflated with states that openly approved slavery of the masses.

Of course I'm not saying that there shouldn't be reparations in California, there will be many ways in which government or corporate institutions in California will be able to be linked to slavery. But it's not going to have the same impact here as it will if one of the slave states does it.

Personally, I believe there should be reparations not just for slavery but for all the abuses over the next 157 years that followed, including segregation, discriminatory education access, redlining, discriminatory justice system policies, land loss, and so one up to the present day.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
I hope so
i guess my question there is, what's to stop legislation from being proposed for "hispanic and freedmen", or "minorities and freedmen", "freedman and brown" instead of "black and brown", etc.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
i guess my question there is, what's to stop legislation from being proposed for "hispanic and freedmen", or "minorities and freedmen", "freedman and brown" instead of "black and brown", etc.

Other legislation certainly could be proposed that way. But this move was in response to a specific task force to investigate reparations in California, which after extensive debate chose to limit it to descendants of slaves. The government responded by making it an official legal category so that work can proceed.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Couldnt have at least had some black people surrounding him? The optics of a European signing this:scust:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Nothing

But I think this will lead to a chain reaction if it takes off

A lot harder to shyt on Black Americans if there are ppl getting shyt done

And people with a better mindset than the youtube hustlers

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
As the article says, California was a free state at the time and any slaveowners who held onto their slaves were circumventing the law. That's why the example you posted is a guy who straight-up won his freedom through the courts. I don't think that should be conflated with states that openly approved slavery of the masses.

Of course I'm not saying that there shouldn't be reparations in California, there will be many ways in which government or corporate institutions in California will be able to be linked to slavery. But it's not going to have the same impact here as it will if one of the slave states does it.

Personally, I believe there should be reparations not just for slavery but for all the abuses over the next 157 years that followed, including segregation, discriminatory education access, redlining, discriminatory justice system policies, land loss, and so one up to the present day.

Biddy Mason was not a man, Biddy Mason was a woman.

It still shows that California has a history of Slavery. If California was a "Free State," why did Biddy Mason have to go through a California court to win her freedom.

Also California allowed Slavery during the Gold Rush, where Slave Owners were allowed to used their slaves to dig for the gold and they allowed the Slave owners to take their Slaves back to their plantation....If California was a Free State they would have allowed the slaves to be freemen as soon as they arrived in California.

Reparations are dues owed from Slavery for FBA/Freedman only

Amo Husserl

Superstar
Daps
Idk if it's his intentions but I agree he's making a great case to run for president. He seems like he's the strongest candidate dems could offer. Assuming they don't go all Hillary2.0 with Kamala.

This has always been a particular thing I couldn't fully wrap my head around so I'm genuinely asking: What do y'all see the political implications of this being? I definitely get the influence/ripple effect it could have on other states, but in terms of policy, is the aim something like Native American status? Eliminating "POC"/"Minorities" jargon in legislation?

Do you live there? Why wouldn't you?
I do.
Democrats have ran their con too long.
Don't jump to conclusions about me being a republican either, it's lazy and a large part of the problem.
Black people have a special significance in this country not just in slavery but the driving force behind the civil rights everyone else as enjoyed to the detriment of black people based on comparative progress between racial and ethnic groups.
After Kennedy was assassinated, there were private interests whose interests it was to stop the riots of the 60s and work with politicians to achieve these goals. The ongoing goal was to prevent the riots and the cause of the riots in the future.
You can read a comprehensive study about this in the Kerner Report. Those strategically placed bricks from the George Floyd riots? Kerner Report.
The Johnson administration's Great Society programs were designed to keep black people in a bag and stall them.
Who were the private parties with private interests at the time?
The Ford Foundation.
Link: 1967 Ford Foundation Annual Report, see page 15 of this report entitled National Affairs
A key player in today's history lesson is McGeorge Bundy, presidential advisor during the Vietnam War and president of the Ford Foundation.
In addition to the Kerner Report, read Top Down by Karen Ferguson.
In one hand, this is beneficial toward defining an ethnic identity.
In the other, it's a method to sway people with a surface understanding to not only vote for democrats this November but also give them ammunition if Newsom runs for president. It's not diversity for the sake of diversity, once again ADOS are being used to the benefit of democrats.
Why can't ADOS do this for themselves? Why does a white democrat do this for black people? Why aren't ADOS in the positions to do this for themselves? They should have been given the time between '68 and now.
Black Power was a great concept: black people controlling and operating the institutions of their communities to amass economic power to bolster their political power. It was democrats who put a stop to that using black democrats, Jesse Jackson most notably. Shirley Chisholm's presidential momentum was also used to cause divisions between black democrats and the Black Power camp. Read, The Defeat of Black Power by Leonard N. Moore for more detail because it happens at the same time of the events in the books mentioned above.
All this was addressed in Trick Baby:

Malcolm X:

Read up on Joe Biden's relationship with Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd.
EU7r8RqUEAAt97c.png

Following the Kerner Report, white studios began taking black television programs seriously. The first was this:
MV5BZDhiNzE5MzMtNjFiMC00NDE5LWExNmUtOTFjZWJlZGJjYjVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI3MzgzNTg@._V1_.jpg

Julia.
Similar to this:
giphy-downsized.gif

That's twice, that after racial riots a black woman was put into a prominent position by white men.
They were both democrats.
lupin-iii-lupin-the-third.gif

Awfully similar to how Europeans got their weight up in Africa and how the white man's relationship was with the black woman on the plantation.

I laid this out as best I could for general population, the registered and unregistered viewers.
Democrats want to control the momentum of black people in this country.
Do the knowledge and decide the side you want to play for.
RepulsivePastelIndianpangolin-size_restricted.gif

Peace.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I do.
Don't jump to conclusions about me being a republican either, it's lazy and a large part of the problem.
Black people have a special significance in this country not just in slavery but the driving force behind the civil rights everyone else as enjoyed to the detriment of black people based on comparative progress between racial and ethnic groups.
After Kennedy was assassinated, there were private interests whose interests it was to stop the riots of the 60s and work with politicians to achieve these goals. The ongoing goal was to prevent the riots and the cause of the riots in the future.
You can read a comprehensive study about this in the Kerner Report. Those strategically placed bricks from the George Floyd riots? Kerner Report.
The Johnson administration's Great Society programs were designed to keep black people in a bag and stall them.
The Ford Foundation.
Link: 1967 Ford Foundation Annual Report, see page 15 of this report entitled National Affairs
A key player in today's history lesson is McGeorge Bundy, presidential advisor during the Vietnam War and president of the Ford Foundation.
In the other, it's a method to sway people with a surface understanding to not only vote for democrats this November but also give them ammunition if Newsom runs for president. It's not diversity for the sake of diversity, once again ADOS are being used to the benefit of democrats.
Why can't ADOS do this for themselves? Why does a white democrat do this for black people? Why aren't ADOS in the positions to do this for themselves? They should have been given the time between '68 and now.
Black Power was a great concept: black people controlling and operating the institutions of their communities to amass economic power to bolster their political power. It was democrats who put a stop to that using black democrats, Jesse Jackson most notably. Shirley Chisholm's presidential momentum was also used to cause divisions between black democrats and the Black Power camp. Read, The Defeat of Black Power by Leonard N. Moore for more detail because it happens at the same time of the events in the books mentioned above.

Malcolm X:

EU7r8RqUEAAt97c.png

Following the Kerner Report, white studios began taking black television programs seriously. The first was this:
MV5BZDhiNzE5MzMtNjFiMC00NDE5LWExNmUtOTFjZWJlZGJjYjVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI3MzgzNTg@._V1_.jpg

Julia.
Similar to this:
giphy-downsized.gif

That's twice, that after racial riots a black woman was put into a prominent position by white men.

Awfully similar to how Europeans got their weight up in Africa and how the white man's relationship was with the black woman on the plantation.

I laid this out as best I could for general population, the registered and unregistered viewers.

Peace.

Breh that was the most classic example of a Gish Gallop that I've ever seen. :dead:

I'll just grab one ridiculous claim at random. You said that Julia (1968) was the first Black TV program to be taken seriously, and used it to create some sort of narrative that Black women were being pumped up at the expense of Black men. But Bill Cosby had already been starring in "I, Spy" since 1965 and had won the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series in 1966, 1967 AND 1968. Also in 1965, Hogans Heroes introduced Ivan Dixon as a black Staff Sergeant. In 1966 Mission: Impossible came with Barney Collier in the role of engineer and tech genius. And the original version of the The Bill Cosby Show (the first tv show to star a Black actor with his name in the title) started in 1969.

1-1077926401.jpg
51EmKhcfpeL._SY445_.jpg
ss3148873_-_peter_graves_as_james_phelps_peter_lupus_as_willy_armitage_greg_morris_as_barney_collier_leonard_nimoy_as_paris_from_mission_impossible_poster_or_photogr__50849__60774.1394494223.jpg
p503627_b_v8_ac.jpg

So it's just plain ignorant to claim that TV shows started with Black women to promote some sort of anti-Black man agenda just off the basis of one show.

Last edited:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
I do.
The Ford Foundation.

Malcolm X:

EU7r8RqUEAAt97c.png

Julia.
Similar to this:
giphy-downsized.gif

Peace.

I hear all that but I'm still not sure what you're in favor of.
Particularly regarding Newsom.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
If California was a "Free State," why did Biddy Mason have to go through a California court to win her freedom.

Because that's how laws work. People violate them and then get taken to court. It's like asking why a drug trade exists if drugs are illegal.

Are you disputing that California was a Free State, or that there was a categorical difference between Free States and Slave States? Because it was sort of the overriding political issue of U.S. history at that point in time and the only issue that has led the country into Civil War, so a lot of folk black and white both would be pretty shocked if you're trying to claim there's no difference.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Why would you cut off possibly supporters?
why would you create a division among a group of people that are the smallest population in the state?
An actual supporter wouldn't view this as creating division, but as addressing a problem that has to be fixed. Look at this:

No one is denying that Black people at large are marginalized in America, said Chris Lodgson, lead organizer of the Coalition for a Just and Equitable California. But the kind of historical oppression he faces as a descendant has different consequences than the inequities more recent immigrants face, he added.

• A 2016 study found that in Los Angeles, the median net worth for a Black descendant of enslaved people is $4,000 compared to $72,000 for a recent immigrant from the African continent.
  • The new disaggregation mandate would help identify disparities in income, health outcomes, career growth and state agencies' leadership, among other things. It'd also allow the state to set aside specific benefits or programs as redress, Lodgson said.
  • "You can't fix a problem until you see it, until you acknowledge it," Lodgson told Axios.

Amo Husserl

Superstar
Daps
Breh that was the most classic example of a Gish Gallop that I've ever seen. :dead:

I'll just grab one ridiculous claim at random. You said that Julia (1968) was the first Black TV program to be taken seriously, and used it to create some sort of narrative that Black women were being pumped up at the expense of Black men. But Bill Cosby had already been starring in "I, Spy" since 1965 and had won the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series in 1966, 1967 AND 1968. Also in 1965, Hogans Heroes introduced Ivan Dixon as a black Staff Sergeant. And the original version of the The Bill Cosby Show (the first tv show to star a Black actor with his name in the title) started in 1969. So it's just plain ignorant to claim that TV shows started with Black women to promote some sort of anti-Black man agenda.
Unfortunately, I mentioned Julia came out a couple months after the Kerner Report which studied the riots in the 60s and I made an explicit point to draw that parallel to Kamala Harris' vice presidency. There was nothing fallacious about my post, your flagrant use of a strawman on the other hand. Because you don't know this information, it doesn't mean I'm being fallacious.
Since you have the time, here are my sources:
51FKFEHbbaL._SL500_.jpg

414Bdd5FJQL.jpg
51eDDP7N1xL.jpg
41PPOx-HZjL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51TGZWANoSL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51iJ91FP2FL.jpg
41elOzCe0+L._AC_SY780_.jpg

71X1pdvs5SL.jpg

BookReaderPreview.php
36300697.jpg

9780820355221.jpg
51QBYM3nPnL.jpg

Some other sources:

Kerner_Commission.jpg

The above image is the Kerner Commission responsible for the report of the same name, Roy Wilkins is the first man on the left sitting down. Hal Kanter said he spoke to Roy Wilkins, the timeline matches.

Diahann Carroll about Julia in her own words:

I got more, but I ain't got time tonight.
aTCMOL.gif

I hear all that but I'm still not sure what you're in favor of.
Particularly regarding Newsom.
I'm in favor of black people not working against their interests by siding with people who are using them.