Gov. Newsom Signs Law For Black Americans (FBA/Freedmen) To Be Identified As A Separate Group

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When they start cutting them checks and it’s time for me to abandon Caribbean culture and claim my ADOS side.

MUX6K5.gif

I'm about to ask my Liberian and Nova Scotian friends when they're going to California to get their checks

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I’m not FBA nor do I live in the US but I 100% support this
:myman: :salute:
Where are the #BothSides members at?
Right here. This is excellent. Could be the first domino.
This is good news.

Never would have happened if he was a Republican but we just gonna pretend like that's not the reality.

Both Siders on The Coli do not go outside and form groups to get shyt done. Both Siders on The Coli do the exact opposite - try to create apathy so no one votes at all.
Or...he sees Black voters asking for real shyt and he wanta to get ahead of it. Or, he wants a place in history as the Governor/POTUS who helped Blacks, whatever. If he's helping cut the check, I fukk with him. If he runs for POTUS and brings more of this energy, he has my unwavering support.
I really hope that when the Descendants of American Slavery get our reparations, it will not cause hate amongst the other Blacks in this country. I sincerely hope it doesnt.

Cause our reparations will have a trickle down effect towards the rest of the Blacks in America.
If they're smart, they'll use it to get theirs from UK, Spain, France, etc. They SHOULD be pushing this as hard as we are.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I think Chris Holden deserves some recognition for getting this in.

The bill was initially introduced by Assemblymember Chris Holden (D) but was ultimately folded into the state budget and signed into law this year. The language in the budget directs state agencies to implement the mandate by 2024.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Idk if it's his intentions but I agree he's making a great case to run for president. He seems like he's the strongest candidate dems could offer. Assuming they don't go all Hillary2.0 with Kamala.

This has always been a particular thing I couldn't fully wrap my head around so I'm genuinely asking: What do y'all see the political implications of this being? I definitely get the influence/ripple effect it could have on other states, but in terms of policy, is the aim something like Native American status? Eliminating "POC"/"Minorities" jargon in legislation?
Good shyt, still not voting for him.
Take the money and run, by any means necessary.
Do you live there? Why wouldn't you?

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
All this. Just a starting point but we needed a starting point. Getting it in any state is good but a big notable one like California is especially good. California actually has the 5th-largest Black population in the USA by numbers, but the fact that it doesn't have its own legacy of Black slavery is gonna be a factor of course.

That's not true, California does have it's own history of Black slavery, you should educate yourself more on slavery in California especially San Bernardino and start with Biddy Mason.

Get the latest news delivered daily!
San Bernardino Sun

News

Slave helped shape future​

By Mark Landis | historyinca@yahoo.com | The Sun
August 3, 2009 at 12:00 a.m.

When the first wagon train of Mormon settlers arrived in the San Bernardino Valley in 1851, several families brought along black slaves and former slaves to help build their new colony.
Bridgett “Biddy” Mason was one of the slaves who made the grueling 400-mile journey from Salt Lake City to San Bernardino with the family of Robert and Rebecca Smith.

Biddy’s amazing life story helped shape the future of African-Americans in California.

Biddy Mason was born on Aug. 15, 1818, on a cotton plantation in Hancock County, Ga. The Smith family acquired the services of Biddy and her two young daughters sometime between 1844 and 1848.

Robert Mays Smith met Rebecca Dorn in Edgefield District, S.C., where they were raised in distinctly different lifestyles. Robert came from a poor farming family that struggled to get by. Rebecca grew up in a family of educated plantation owners who had dozens of slaves tending to the crops and the needs of the household.

Robert yearned to strike out on his own, and in 1830 he took his bride to Mississippi with dreams of building a prosperous life.

In 1844, the Smiths joined a branch of the Mormon Church in Franklin County, Miss. The communal lifestyle of the Mormons seemed at odds with Robert’s self-reliant personality, but the Smiths and their slaves became valuable members of the church.

Author and historian DeEtta Demaratus wrote an excellent study of Biddy Mason titled “The Force of a Feather; The Search For a Lost Story of Slavery and Freedom.” According to Demaratus, “Biddy learned from the Mormons how to organize and be industrious. She developed her nursing skills within the Smith family and was loaned out to others in the community.”

In 1846, Rebecca’s brother, Robert Dorn, purchased a slave named Hannah from his father’s estate and gave her to the Smiths. Hannah had been a favored slave in the Dorn household and she grew up with Rebecca.
Discouraged by his meager success in Mississippi, Robert Smith uprooted his family and joined a large caravan of Mormons who were embarking on the long journey to Salt Lake City, Utah in March of 1848.

Life in the newly settled colony of Salt Lake City was harsh for the Smith family and their slaves. In 1851, Mormon leader Brigham Young asked for volunteers to establish an outpost colony in Southern California and Robert Smith seized the opportunity.

The Smiths’ wagons were among the 150 that left Salt Lake City and set out across the desert on one of the most difficult journeys imaginable. Biddy walked during much of the journey, tending the animals while trudging between desolate water holes spread across the Mojave Desert.
On June 11, 1851, the caravan of exhausted and tattered colonists arrived in the San Bernardino Valley.

The Mormon settlers set about building their colony and Robert Smith’s family finally began to prosper in their new surroundings. Smith built a thriving cattle ranch in the area known as Jumuba, near the present-day intersection of Hunts Lane and Hospitality Lane in San Bernardino, along the Santa Ana River.

Prosperity in the San Bernardino Valley was short-lived for the Smiths. In 1855, the Mormon Elders reconfigured property boundaries and decided to take the Smiths’ land and divide it among other settlers.

Robert Smith was so outraged that he broke from the church and packed up the entire family yet again and planned to move to Texas. However, the Smiths’ plans soon would be complicated by the slavery issue.

California was admitted to the union in 1850 as a free state, but slaves who were brought here from slave states often were kept as indentured servants, unaware of their new rights.

In December 1855, the Smiths made a temporary encampment in the Santa Monica Mountains in preparation for traveling to Texas, which still was a slave state. While camped in the hills, a legal challenge known as a “writ of habeas corpus” was filed with Judge Benjamin Hayes in Los Angeles. The writ was intended to prevent the Smiths from traveling from a free state to a slave state with Biddy, Hannah, and their children.
The identity of the person or persons who requested the writ is still a mystery today. It may have been a member or members of the Owens family, successful black settlers who lived in Los Angeles and were friends with Biddy.

Biddy and her three daughters along with Hannah’s seven children were taken to Los Angeles until a hearing could determine their fate. Hannah returned to San Bernardino where she gave birth to her eighth child. It was ironic that Biddy and all of the children were kept in a jail until their status could be determined.
Robert Smith was desperate to keep his slaves for the return to Texas and he hired an attorney to represent his interests.
In another bit of irony, neither Biddy nor any of the other blacks could testify for themselves in court due to California law. Judge Hayes found a way around this by interviewing them in his chambers. During that interview Biddy said, “I always feared this trip to Texas, since I first heard of it. Mr. Smith told me I would be as free in Texas as here.”

On January 19, 1856, Judge Hayes issued his ruling that declared, “All of the said persons of color are entitled to their freedom, and are free and cannot be held in slavery or involuntary servitude. It is therefore argued that they are entitled to their freedom and are free forever.”
Having lost his case, Smith left for Texas with his family, never to return to California or see any of his former slaves again. Hannah stayed in San Bernardino where she lived with her husband, Toby Embers.

Biddy’s friendship with the Owens family helped her to become one of the first successful black businesswomen in Los Angeles. According to Demaratus, “What is amazing about Biddy is both the range of her experience and expertise, and that later she used her caretaking and nursing abilities to become an entrepreneur who owned land, started businesses, and gave back to her community.”

Biddy Mason died in Los Angeles on January 15, 1891. Her amazing life story is memorialized on a series of plaques at Biddy Mason Park, 333 South Spring St., Los Angeles.

Biddy Mason, the San Bernardino slave freed by LA judge, is focus of museum talk

IDB-L-ALLEN-COL-0217-1.jpg

The only known photograph of Biddy Mason is reproduced as part of the Biddy Mason Memorial Park on property she once owned in downtown Los Angeles. (Photo by David Allen, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin/SCNG)

By David Allen | dallen@scng.com | Inland Valley Daily Bulletin PUBLISHED: February 16, 2021 at 12:51 p.m. | UPDATED: February 16, 2021 at 12:53 a.m.

Bridget “Biddy” Mason was the slave from San Bernardino who won her freedom in a Los Angeles courtroom in 1856 and went on to an improbable life as a midwife, civic leader, wealthy property owner and philanthropist in downtown Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Idk if it's his intentions but I agree he's making a great case to run for president. He seems like he's the strongest candidate dems could offer. Assuming they don't go all Hillary2.0 with Kamala.

This has always been a particular thing I couldn't fully wrap my head around so I'm genuinely asking: What do y'all see the political implications of this being? I definitely get the influence/ripple effect it could have on other states, but in terms of policy, is the aim something like Native American status? Eliminating "POC"/"Minorities" jargon in legislation?

Do you live there? Why wouldn't you?
I hope so