Gary Payton not sure where his son's athleticism comes from

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
Was he really that unathletic in the nba? I thought he was a star back in the day

I mean he wasn't nailed to the floor or anything, Gary Payton was known for his defense first, and he was an outstanding defensive player, and a very intelligent player overall.

And yes he's a star

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Once again, this is a 90s to early 2000s PG. Every stat played 40 minutes 20 years ago.

From 94-03 GP averaged 21.4 on 46.5 FG, which is not mediocre efficiency especially in his era at guard. How many other point guards in the same span can this be said about?
That’s not elite scoring volume or efficiency especially at the usage rate and minutes played it’s good he had a tendency to fade in games because he didn’t have a great shot or first step or handle.

He is a guy who would be best on a championship team as a third option or so and lead defender today.

Last edited:

ade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He was 6’4 and barely dunked, wasn’t particularly speedy in the open floor or quick with the first step, it’s why he was limited as a scorer, his body control was ok

For the PG position especially for today’s standards yes he was below average

LaMelo Ball is more athletic than he was

If he played today his best comparison would be Jrue Holiday

You’re not qualified to speak on GP young fella. You didn’t see him play. Just because he “barely dunked” doesn’t mean he wasn’t athletic. You probably think Jason Kidd wasn’t athletic either as well right?

And as far as speed goes GP was actually hands down one of the fastest guards end to end in the league, and had great burst when he wanted to.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
You’re not qualified to speak on GP young fella. You didn’t see him play. Just because he “barely dunked” doesn’t mean he wasn’t athletic. You probably think Jason Kidd wasn’t athletic either as well right?

And as far as speed goes GP was actually hands down one of the fastest guards end to end in the league, and had great burst when he wanted to.
I seen him play.

I already addressed Kidd. Kidd was a big 6’4 stocky mf and was fast end to end and dunked more than Payton.

Payton end to end wasn’t crazy he had some speed he was an NBA PG after all. Him in a timed 3/4th sprint would not be amongst the elite guards in the game today. In his own time small, speedy guards could go at him.

If this was 2K he would have like a 88-92 speed. He also didn’t have a great first step.

And no I don’t understand the hesitancy to say he wasn’t athletic but y’all love romanticizing the past. The same posters will say Steph Curry and LaMelo Ball aren’t athletic.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
They both average 16/4/7 for their careers

GP had a bunch of years he was allowed to run a team playing 40 minutes with high usage on mediocre teams no team would have him do that today that post up style aint rocking today. He was best on teams with equal opportunity/balanced attack because he wasn’t a strong creator himself he would be best suited for a secondary or tertiary role today like Holiday

Holiday has averaged 19, 20 a game several times he’s capable of that :russell:
Their games were nothing alike

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Their games were nothing alike
They have the same strengths and weaknesses.

Just played in different eras and systems.

Jrue would be posting up more in the 90’s especially with the spacing, illegal defense call, and back to the basket rules of the time, at 229 lb. he would be huge back then.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
They have the same strengths and weaknesses.

Just played in different eras and systems.

Jrue would be posting up more in the 90’s especially with the spacing, illegal defense call, and back to the basket rules of the time, at 229 lb. he would be huge back then.
I watched them both play. Gary was way more smooth with his game, especially in transition. His spin move was probably his go to move. He was also a way better facilitator and floor general.

Jrue was more of a bully ball type player. Jrue was better at creating space on the jump shot too, but that probably has more to do with how people play these days with the step backs.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I watched them both play. Gary was way more smooth with his game, especially in transition. His spin move was probably his go to move. He was also a way better facilitator and floor general.

Jrue was more of a bully ball type player. Jrue was better at creating space on the jump shot too, but that probably has more to do with how people play these days with the step backs.
This is all true on a fundamental level they had the same strengths and weaknesses though.

Brehcepticon

Adeptus Brehstartes
Supporter
Daps
PXvlihP.gif

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Below average athlete and wack handle

Big guard with post game and streaky knuckleball jump shot, a high I.Q. player, good dump off passer

In today’s game don’t see how any team centers their offense around him kinda outdated player :manny:
Teams center their offense around Westbrook so :yeshrug:

Payton was a more traditional PG, you wouldn’t center your offense around him but he could certainly be an All Star in today’s league. Mike Conley was just one last year, Jrue Holiday has been one, Rondo was one for years a decade ago; Payton would be better than all of them.

Joe_tu-pac

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Below average athlete and wack handle

Big guard with post game and streaky knuckleball jump shot, a high I.Q. player, good dump off passer

In today’s game don’t see how any team centers their offense around him kinda outdated player :manny:

There’s more to athleticism than jumping high.