Gary Payton not sure where his son's athleticism comes from

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They both average 16/4/7 for their careers

GP had a bunch of years he was allowed to run a team playing 40 minutes with high usage on mediocre teams no team would have him do that today that post up style aint rocking today. He was best on teams with equal opportunity/balanced attack because he wasn’t a strong creator himself he would be best suited for a secondary or tertiary role today like Holiday

Holiday has averaged 19, 20 a game several times he’s capable of that :russell:
You can’t use GP’s career stats based on how he ended his career as a role player/bench player for years. That’s disingenuous. Jrue hasn’t had his falloff yet.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'd entertain this if you said J Kidd. This is ludicrous take. Speed doesn't define athleticism otherwise Earl Boykin is the GOAT athlete in NBA history. A much better example of what you're trying and failing to prove. How old are you?
Take out the Rose/Baron Davis/Westbrook/Iverson/Steve Francis group and Jason Kidd is one of the most athletic point guards ever. He’s certainly as fast or faster than anyone to ever play the game, especially with the ball in his hands.

Joe_tu-pac

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You’re not qualified to speak on GP young fella. You didn’t see him play. Just because he “barely dunked” doesn’t mean he wasn’t athletic. You probably think Jason Kidd wasn’t athletic either as well right?

And as far as speed goes GP was actually hands down one of the fastest guards end to end in the league, and had great burst when he wanted to.

Exactly. The one thing you can’t say about GP is that he wasn’t fast. He got up the court as fast as anyone.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
You can’t use GP’s career stats based on how he ended his career as a role player/bench player for years. That’s disingenuous. Jrue hasn’t had his falloff yet.
That was only a few years at the end

Jrue himself has reverted to a tertiary option when he could be on a bad/mediocre team getting 20 a game

As scorers they aren’t far off I wouldn’t want either of them as my go to scorers in the halfcourt that’s for damn sure

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Exactly. The one thing you can’t say about GP is that he wasn’t fast. He got up the court as fast as anyone.
As fast as anyone is not true

He was fast but not among the elite speedsters in his time or today

Payton isn’t making or topping any list with the fastest players in history

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Teams center their offense around Westbrook so :yeshrug:

Payton was a more traditional PG, you wouldn’t center your offense around him but he could certainly be an All Star in today’s league. Mike Conley was just one last year, Jrue Holiday has been one, Rondo was one for years a decade ago; Payton would be better than all of them.
I said championship team how’s it gone for those Westbrook led teams :francis:

Sure, he can be an All-Star didn’t say he couldn’t

Edub

Veteran
Daps
kemp-restaurant.jpg
:patrice:

South Paw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CML
Below average athlete and wack handle

Big guard with post game and streaky knuckleball jump shot, a high I.Q. player, good dump off passer

In today’s game don’t see how any team centers their offense around him kinda outdated player :manny:
goat defender though :wow:

Joe_tu-pac

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As fast as anyone is not true

He was fast but not among the elite speedsters in his time or today

Payton isn’t making or topping any list with the fastest players in history

There isn’t enough of a difference if any in his speed from those “elite” speedsters to say he wasn’t athletic and slow.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
That’s not elite scoring volume or efficiency especially at the usage rate and minutes played it’s good he had a tendency to fade in games because he didn’t have a great shot or first step or handle.

He is a guy who would be best on a championship team as a third option or so and lead defender today.
Breh...you're repeating yourself instead of actually saying anything. There were no point guards in his era averaging 21+ on 46.5% shooting for a decade. You're applying present philosophy where point guards are essentially small 2-guards. If you're knocking the era that's one thing but his scoring relative to what was asked of him was more than fine.

The fact that you're conceding to "it's good" is enough. The position wasn't required to score 25 a game to be elite.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
There isn’t enough of a difference if any in his speed from those “elite” speedsters to say he wasn’t athletic and slow.
So there’s not a difference in speed and quickness between Gary Payton and say Allen Iverson?

U think Payton is as fast as an Ish Smith or young Raymond Felton

Payton and John Wall same shyt?

He’s athletic compared to regular people compared to NBA players he’s just a big PG with no hops that has some open floor speed and a weak first step

Nobody is ranking Jrue Holiday or Ricky Rubio among the most athletic PG’s today they’re both “fast”

Last edited:

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Was he really that unathletic in the nba? I thought he was a star back in the day

You know what. He was the 2nd overal pick in his draft but I remember he had what we’d consider a bad rookie year 7pt and 6ast. But for him to be picked that high out of Oregon state he must have been a beast. I was too young to remember him in college.