Gary Payton not sure where his son's athleticism comes from

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
God damn y’all sure do love romanticizing the past

He wasn’t bouncy or fast or quick or have elite body control in a combine he would be one of the least athletic guards in the game today I compare him to Jrue but Jrue is probably a bit more athletic

He also struggled against small and shifty guards so how quick was he laterally. He also took a ton of gambles. His defense was about his footwork, quick hands and instincts, trash talking/mean streak, and his size and wingspan.

There are levels to athleticism, to say GP isnt athletic is simply asinine. Athleticism that fit his game along with fundamentals made him great.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
There are levels to athleticism, to say GP isnt athletic is simply asinine. Athleticism that fit his game along with fundamentals made him great.
He’s not athletic in the context of NBA players especially contemporary PG’s

The athleticism of LaMelo Ball was questioned and he is faster and more acrobatic than Payton and 4 inches taller

Nobody here calls Luka athletic

The man himself is telling y’all

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
He’s not athletic in the context of NBA players especially contemporary PG’s

The athleticism of LaMelo Ball was questioned and he is faster and more acrobatic than Payton and 4 inches taller

Nobody here calls Luka athletic

The man himself is telling y’all

He's talking about jumping out of the gym, that's a different type of athleticism

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

Find me ONE clip of Steve Nash dunking in an NBA game

that was a product of his height & wingspan more than him having ups. Nash could get high enough to dunk

but the real difference between him and payton was speed/quickness; the lack of these 2 things is why Payton alot of the time played the point with his back to the defense

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
End to end whose faster GP or Nash?

Who had the quicker first step GP or Nash?

Who was more acrobatic below the rim on finishes and passes GP or Nash?
I'd entertain this if you said J Kidd. This is ludicrous take. Speed doesn't define athleticism otherwise Earl Boykin is the GOAT athlete in NBA history. A much better example of what you're trying and failing to prove. How old are you?

Daps
Sounds like GP is trying to tell us something because GPII looks nothing like him. :hubie:

And why is so light skinned? I thought his mom was white. Was she creepin with Detlef Schrempf?

Maybe that's why Gary has another son named GP Jr. from another woman, along with GP II. Maybe he was telling us something/protecting his future legacy back then just in case. :patrice:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I'd entertain this if you said J Kidd. This is ludicrous take. Speed doesn't define athleticism otherwise Earl Boykin is the GOAT athlete in NBA history. A much better example of what you're trying and failing to prove. How old are you?
Jason Kidd was fast and he used to dunk more than GP he was more athletic and he was more stocky :skip:

The hell you talking about man

Earl Boykins yes pound for pound is one of the most athletic players in history

He was a jitterbug in speed and quickness, his bench press was ridiculous for his size stuff of legend, and he could even dunk at 5’5 (just not in games). To be that small and compete in the NBA you have to be a freak athlete. Isaiah Thomas had a 40 inch vert.

Last edited:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Doesn’t mean much

It’s not like he was averaging 25+ points…he was in the upper teens and low 20’s on mediocre efficiency and high usage playing 40 minutes a game of course he scored 20 :mjlol:

U actually see him he wasn’t an elite creator and could go on scoring droughts/disappear
Once again, this is a 90s to early 2000s PG. Every stat played 40 minutes 20 years ago.

From 94-03 GP averaged 21.4 on 46.5 FG, which is not mediocre efficiency especially in his era at guard. How many other point guards in the same span can this be said about?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Wait a minute aren't you a fan of....nevermind

Jru's game isn't ugly at all actually
Jrue’s game is ugly takes a lot of dribbles, herky jerky, basic handle, his shot is also streaky and doesn’t get great elevation. Him and Shai are two guys I watch and sometimes I don’t know how they reach the ball. Jrue has some moves to create space and uses his power a lot over smaller guards. Barely dunks, doesn’t have much range, not very acrobatic under the rim, very fundamental steady game.

LeBron is a highlight machine give it up