FORBES Magazine: HOUSTON "Coolest" city to live....

Anothergirl

Goat ™
Daps
Meh, I'm just steady praying that this doesn't coerce more yups and the like to move down here in droves, is all.

i don't mind "yuppies" as y'all call them...but i can't stand the way these "transplants" drive ...they don't understand people down here are courteous and laid back drivers. all that horn honking and cutting ppl off makes me want those b*stards to KEEP OUT. go back to the eat coast with that horn honking bullsh*t you rude fukks. :pacspit:

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
As someome who travels for work frequently, Houston is fukking awful.

The definition of sprall.

Can't walk anywhere because its either on the otherside of town and youll have a heart attack from the oppressive heat, or your dodging aggressive homeless people who follow you around on bicycles.

No thanks. At least Austin has everything youd care about on one long ass street.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Bethesda is like an extension of Northwest DC..... they should really just lump it in w/ DC

I'm surprised Baltimore even made it... I can't even bring myself to go there and I'm like 30-40 minutes away.

But on some real shyt... DC should be #1 if you include it's outskirts.

Baltimore is on a surge...the fact that it is relatively short train ride away from DC area jobs and housing is way cheaper is huge plus for folks.....the whole area around the Harbor and other waterside projects, and two urban science/research parks are making it popular...even though it seems like it's population still fluctuates...

Maybe because paying 2 grand for a closet, while dealing w/ 10 ft tall rats isn't popping. Outside of seeing it in movies or tv, living in NY(unless you making 100 k+) ain't that fly. Streets littered w/ trash bags all day and night, w/ everything expensive as hell, I'd take the Pacific Northwest(Portland, Seattle, Bay Area) and DC over NY every single time.

http://americancity.org/daily/entry/bloomberg-wants-to-see-more-tiny-apartments-in-new-york

Bloomberg Wants to See More Tiny Apartments in New York
New York | 07/11/2012 11:32am

Think studio apartments in New York City are already too small? Well, it looks like things are about to get a lot smaller.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Monday launched adAPT NYC (APT stands for apartment. Get it?), a new design competition with the aim of improving and increasing the number of single-occupant apartments available in the city. Using a city-owned site located at 335 East 27th St. in the Kips Bay neighborhood of Manhattan, the city has issued a Request for Proposals for the design of a rental building consisting entirely (or nearly so) of specially designed “micro-units” — that is, units from 275 to 300 square feet. The current legal minimum for newly constructed apartments is 400 square feet; the use of city-owned property allows the mayor to waive the regulation through a technicality. :stopitslime:

Why try to build more tiny apartments? Affordability. You don’t need to be an economist to know how expensive or difficult it is to live in New York for single individuals. Studio and single-occupant apartments are highly limited: There are only a million throughout a city with nearly two million singles. And roommates aren’t a feasible solution for everybody.

With demand for housing in the nation’s largest city, Bloomberg believes that “we must develop a new, scalable housing model that is safe, affordable and innovative to meet their [new residents’] needs.” For Bloomberg and many in his administration, “develop housing that matches how New Yorkers live today is critical to the City’s continued growth, future competiveness and long-term economic success.” We wouldn’t want to lose talent to cheaper housing in New Jersey, would we?

You don't have to have folks living in complete shoeboxes.....Under 400 feet is :damn::what:....I understand there is demand for housing but there are plenty of spots to develop in the city without thinking you got to essentially shyt across from where you eat at ..... check this link http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/transportation/td_decking_opport.shtml, NYC has 1,000 acres (1.5 square miles) of potential land like this inside the city....this talks about air rights which is building platforms above sunken railyards, roads....put the platform down and you put buildings on top you have just "created" land, while the roads/rails can still function normally underneath.......Plus, this is where your favorite borough Staten Island comes into play, cause a subway connection to Brooklyn would open up that area for new development, holding down/keeping steady housing cost cause supplies would be expanded.......I would hate to be a young professional and living in a double wide cubicle and calling it a home I'm paying rent for....and I've lived in studio apartments....and I know 400 feet is just about all you can stand at that size......:lawd:

Besides rezoning neighborhoods for taller buildings, some of their newest developments will be created like this. This is the newest NYC air right project on the table, basically taken the Hudson Yards here......

image_xlimage_2009_11_R328_chelsea_Western_Rail_Yards_11202009.jpg

and building something like this above it.....

images

That's why they calling Philly the 6th Borough............get more for your money, can still commute easily to NYC, still get that urban feel.........this is where a Maglev/REAL HIGH SPEED trains come in real handy

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i don't mind "yuppies" as y'all call them...but i can't stand the way these "transplants" drive ...they don't understand people down here are courteous and laid back drivers. all that horn honking and cutting ppl off makes me want those b*stards to KEEP OUT. go back to the eat coast with that horn honking bullsh*t you rude fukks. :pacspit:

:childplease:

Are we in the same Houston?

This city has some of the worst drivers I've ever seen.

Bunch of a$$holes driving around.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
:childplease:

Are we in the same Houston?

This city has some of the worst drivers I've ever seen.

Bunch of a$$holes driving around.

once u travel outside of the h u will appreciate everybody on beltway, 610, i-10 n 45...59, 90, the feeders...330, 290, 5,146 225 249 etc

oregon n washington state terrible..specially when its rainin..so damn near 8months out the yr

dallas terrible..to the point...i drive thru the neighborhoods..or park n ryde the train...

nonniecakes

EattheTeam
Daps
once u travel outside of the h u will appreciate everybody on beltway, 610, i-10 n 45...59, 90, the feeders...330, 290, 5,146 225 249 etc

oregon n washington state terrible..specially when its rainin..so damn near 8months out the yr

dallas terrible..to the point...i drive thru the neighborhoods..or park n ryde the train...

Yea...dallas got the worst drivers esp on 35..plus the damn potholes...

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Yea...dallas got the worst drivers esp on 35..plus the damn potholes...

dallas potholes aint shyt compared to auburn,seattle, des moines, tacoma, lakewood, federal way, kent-washington..

i got a brand new chevy 2500 up there...soon as i got off tthe lot...hit one of them canyon ass potholes they got...fukked my axel n suspension..

brand new truck..

it raim so much up there...filling holes is useless..

road rage in dallas is serious..they wont hesitate to buss one at u..specially over there by the muffler man...rl thornton freeway(35)..come off that split not payin attention betta duck...be ready 2 buss back

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
i got family in houston. i love it when i go there. couldnt live there though. too used to the miami life

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Houston drivers are el terriblè with all the immigrants (not talking Mexicans either).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2