"Flower Power In The Jalen Hurts Era" *2021 Philadelphia Eagles Season Thread*

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang...Bleedin Green

Let's get the scouting.
Best olineman, best DB and best linebacker :blessed:

Guard- Ikem Ekwonu- nasty demeanor, former wrassler- mauler in the run game and athletic enough to get to the second level- needs some work in pass pro but trust Jeff Stoutland to clean it up
DB- everyone wants Stingley but I am partial to Kaiir Elam-bigger corner but he has good short area quickness- former WR with ball skills
Obviously Kyle Hamilton but he may go top 5- I do like Dax HIll and Jalen Catalon (we need more Jalens) another name I like is big safety Kendrick Duncan JR

LB Brandon Smith from Penn ST- Devin Lloyd-Olakunle Fatukasi from Rutgers and sleeper Darrian Beavers from Cincy (he will probably go later but big kid- can shed blocks and tackle- not sure about his coverage skills)

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
But a lot depends on Hurts, too.

I think the reason Sirianni and Steichen’s offensive gameplan includes so many screens, RPOs, and short passes is that they just don’t trust Hurts to consistently diagnose defenses, make the right reads, and accurately throw into tight windows. So instead the offense is designed around giving Hurts a bunch of quick reads and easy throws. And it works well when you play defenses as bad as the Falcons and Chiefs. But, as we saw with Carolina, a good defense can shut that down.

And the troubling thing is, I don’t know if Sirianni is wrong to do that. Because Hurts, when he’s had chances to drop back and scan the field, has not been great. He’s struggled when his 1st read is covered, he’s missed multiple opportunities for big plays and TDs, which would indicate that he’s struggling to read defenses, and he’s been too quick to either run with the ball, checkdown, or throw it away. Hurts’ best games (Week 1 and 4) have come when he’s able to execute Sirianni’s offense properly, but whenever the Eagles have had to open up the playbook, it hasn’t always gone well.

The Bucs are a Top 5 run defense in the NFL, but their secondary is injured, so it’s going to have to be a pass-heavy offense. The Bucs are going to take away the underneath stuff, so Hurts is going to have to be able to hang in the pocket and find the open man down the field. Tom Brady and that offense are going to DESTROY our defense (seriously… don’t expect any help from them), so Hurts is going to have to keep up and not let TD opportunities pass him by. Sirianni can’t limit Hurts here, he’s going to have to open the playbook up.

On top of that, Hurts is going to be facing a lot of pressure. Sirianni has no idea when Lane Johnson is coming back, so that indicates he’s out on Thursday as well. That means the O-Line is going to be down 3/5 starters, Mailata will playing out of position again at RT, with a rookie dikkerson starting at guard again… against a very good Bucs defensive line. Bowles is going to blitz, too.

We’re going to find out a lot about where Hurts truly is as a passer on Thursday. :francis:

Nonsense when it was time to make throws he made them. He has how many deep passes call backed from touchdown due to his receivers or penalties in general. Of course he miss throws shyt Wentz and Lamar miss last night shyt happens. He will only get better if he throws the ball.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
But a lot depends on Hurts, too.

I think the reason Sirianni and Steichen’s offensive gameplan includes so many screens, RPOs, and short passes is that they just don’t trust Hurts to consistently diagnose defenses, make the right reads, and accurately throw into tight windows. So instead the offense is designed around giving Hurts a bunch of quick reads and easy throws. And it works well when you play defenses as bad as the Falcons and Chiefs. But, as we saw with Carolina, a good defense can shut that down.

And the troubling thing is, I don’t know if Sirianni is wrong to do that. Because Hurts, when he’s had chances to drop back and scan the field, has not been great. He’s struggled when his 1st read is covered, he’s missed multiple opportunities for big plays and TDs, which would indicate that he’s struggling to read defenses, and he’s been too quick to either run with the ball, checkdown, or throw it away. Hurts’ best games (Week 1 and 4) have come when he’s able to execute Sirianni’s offense properly, but whenever the Eagles have had to open up the playbook, it hasn’t always gone well.

The Bucs are a Top 5 run defense in the NFL, but their secondary is injured, so it’s going to have to be a pass-heavy offense. The Bucs are going to take away the underneath stuff, so Hurts is going to have to be able to hang in the pocket and find the open man down the field. Tom Brady and that offense are going to DESTROY our defense (seriously… don’t expect any help from them), so Hurts is going to have to keep up and not let TD opportunities pass him by. Sirianni can’t limit Hurts here, he’s going to have to open the playbook up.

On top of that, Hurts is going to be facing a lot of pressure. Sirianni has no idea when Lane Johnson is coming back, so that indicates he’s out on Thursday as well. That means the O-Line is going to be down 3/5 starters, Mailata will playing out of position again at RT, with a rookie dikkerson starting at guard again… against a very good Bucs defensive line. Bowles is going to blitz, too.

We’re going to find out a lot about where Hurts truly is as a passer on Thursday. :francis:

Very well said. Everyone is blaming Sirianni when he's protecting Hurts. Objectively, Hurts has been terrible as a passer most of the season.

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
The protecting Hurts narrative doesn't make sense either because everyone knew this season would be an evaluation season for a bunch of players, and dudes in this exact thread said we'd be lucky to go 4-13. With that being said, how the hell are you able to evaluate someone if you limit them to one/two types of plays over an entire season?

Jalen needs work yes and it's fair to have a critical lens on him, but again there needs to be an emphasis on Sirianni not knowing wtf he's doing.

Being the most penalized team in the NFL has nothing to do with Jalen.
Not running the ball against weak run Ds it not Jalen.
Predictable playcalling is not Jalen
Not having TEs in the lineup especially during the red zone is not Jalen.

I could go on and on

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
You put Herbert or Burrow in his place and we have a top 10 offense

I point out technical aspects of his subpar passing abilities. It's refreshing when other ppl recognize the same deficiencies I see.

nikka they once in a lifetime First Pick type QBs you can say the same shyt for 20 other NFL teams. We never had an accurate QB with the Eagles except Foles but now we all know and complain about a young QB having accuracy issues.

Wentz not here nomore bro get over it. Wentz wasn't accurate in his time in Philly as well.

Daps
You put Herbert or Burrow in his place and we have a top 10 offense

I point out technical aspects of his subpar passing abilities. It's refreshing when other ppl recognize the same deficiencies I see.

This post and your previous response to what you quoted are irrelevant to why I quoted you.

It could very well be true that Jalen has been a terrible passer. That ain't the point.

YOU, however, cannot preface anything you say about him with the word "objectively", unless for some odd reason you don't own or never had access to a dictionary.

Daps
Reppin
The Ghetto of Oz
Worst loss of the andy reid era in my mind... I remember me and every single eagles fan thinking bucs didnt have a chance because of the cold....... I blame Ja Rule though

Losing the NFC Champ game was the worse loss IMO

That was the day i stopped giving a fawk
I still watch .. but I don't allow the outcome to affect me the way it did before that game

Never again will I care more than the actual players

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
This post and your previous response to what you quoted are irrelevant to why I quoted you.

It could very well be true that Jalen has been a terrible passer. That ain't the point.

YOU, however, cannot preface anything you say about him with the word "objectively", unless for some odd reason you don't own or never had access to a dictionary.

:russell:

KingCesar

All Star
Daps
I'm in general agreement with you, but with the whole Sirianni doesnt trust him idk if I can agree with all that. How are you going to grow if you're never allowed to? I personally just think Sirianni is in way over his head trying to outsmart himself. When he finally stopped screening all game on Sunday.... the offense started to work.

Either way we'll see on Thursday like you said.
I don’t disagree with this. I want to see Sirianni unleash Hurts, and let him sink or swim. And this is the perfect game for it. The Bucs aren’t going to let the Eagles run, and Brady is going to score on the defense at will, so the offense has to flow through Hurts’ arm, and Hurts has to take shots downfield to score points. I can still see an active screen game, because Todd Bowles loves to blitz and screens are an effective counter to that, but Hurts has to be able to sling it. And he’s going to have to be able to do it under pressure.

Nonsense when it was time to make throws he made them. He has how many deep passes call backed from touchdown due to his receivers or penalties in general. Of course he miss throws shyt Wentz and Lamar miss last night shyt happens. He will only get better if he throws the ball.
Hurts misses a lot, though. There are All-22 film breakdowns out there from the Kansas City game showing that Hurts missed about three TDs that week, in a game where the Eagles desperately needed to score points. And I get that every QB – even the best of them – misses an open guy from time-to-time, but Hurts, at least through four weeks, has done it several times. And I know that he's still young, but it's an area where he really has to improve quick.

I agree that Hurts still needs to be able to throw it, especially in this upcoming game, and Sirianni can’t limit him. We need to see what Hurts can do. If he succeeds, then great. If he fails, then he fails, and at least we’ll know.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
The protecting Hurts narrative doesn't make sense either because everyone knew this season would be an evaluation season for a bunch of players, and dudes in this exact thread said we'd be lucky to go 4-13. With that being said, how the hell are you able to evaluate someone if you limit them to one/two types of plays over an entire season?

Jalen needs work yes and it's fair to have a critical lens on him, but again there needs to be an emphasis on Sirianni not knowing wtf he's doing.

Being the most penalized team in the NFL has nothing to do with Jalen.
Not running the ball against weak run Ds it not Jalen.
Predictable playcalling is not Jalen
Not having TEs in the lineup especially during the red zone is not Jalen.

I could go on and on

The multiple delay of game calls, the illegal linemen downfield when it's an RPO isn't his fault?

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I really want to see more of Milton Williams, McPhearson, and Davion Williams this season

We need to know if we have bldg blocks on the def side of the ball