Final fantasy has a Medievil approach to diversity(too many black people=Bad)

Tair

Superstar
Daps
No Black people in Medieval Europe, huh? :sas1:

A DIVERSE WORLD

Contrary to popular belief, there were black people and others from around the world seen in every corner and nook of society.

They were generals, knights, saints, cardinals, nobility, conquistadors, mercenaries, musicians, cooks, housekeepers, dock workers, slaves, and assistants. They worked in Europe’s medical buildings, kitchens, gardens, and stables. Living in Portugal, Spain, Austria, the Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, and England. International trading cities such as Venice were multicultural magnets. It’s time to rethink everything we know about the presence of black people in Europe during this time period. The picture of the middle ages isn’t accurate without them.

So if your’e interested, I’ve dug through the archives to bring you some of my favorite images of black people in the Middle Ages.

1. OTHELLO
The Moorish general from William Shakespeare’s Othello may be one of the most famous depictions of black people in medieval European history. Though a fictional character, his story is based on “Un Capitano Moro” ("A Moorish Captain") by Italian writer Cinthio, first published in 1565.
Othello..png

2. THE SYBIL
Since ancient times Sybils were considered seers sent by god. Priestesses foretelling the coming of great events. This model serves to depict the Sybil of Agrippina, one of the 12 that foretold the coming of Christ. Notice the flagellum and crown of thrones which are symbolic objects reminding the viewer of Christ’s suffering.
Daily%2BFod%2BJournal%2B%281%29.png

3. THE KINGS FOUNTAIN
With it’s striking visuals this well-constructed painting shows a lively street scene. The people are gathered around the Fountain of El-Rei in Lisbon, Portugal going about their daily business. Crafted in the 16th century, it shows images of a thriving black African population. The people appear to be a big part of the day to day happenings of town. One figure that stood out to me was on the bottom right. Look closely— do you see the Afro-Portuguese knight on horseback? Astonishing. His garment is officially endowed with the Herald of the order of Santiago.
view%2Bof%2Ba%2Bsquare%2Bwith%2Bthe%2BKings%2BFountain.png

4. WISE MEN FROM THE EAST
At this point, you’ll notice a trending theme in medieval paintings— religion. In this one, we see an African man as one of the wise men visiting a newborn Jesus Christ.
Daily%2BFod%2BJournal%2B%282%29.png

5. ADORATION OF THE MAGI
Here is another iconic Adoration scene. Following a star, three kings unite for a much-anticipated meeting with baby Jesus. They lay before him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
Daily%2BFod%2BJournal%2B%284%29.png

6. SIR MORIEN
Meet Sir Morien, the black knight of the round table. This gallant warrior was one of the men from the famed legend of King Arthur. When people refer to a “black knight” story from the legend, they literally mean a black knight.
sir%2Bmorein.png

INTERESTING READS
Looking for more? Here are two amazing books dig deeper into the ethnic makeup Europe. One is a monumental set of volumes covering images of blackness over the last 5,000 years. Many of the images depict people of color in Europe.
The other digs into the historical records of England to document and reconstruct the stories of 10 men and women of color living there during the Middle Ages. Both are fascinating reads.
There is also this exhibition "Revealing the African Presence in Renaissance Europe" at the Walters Art Museum. They were great enough to upload the resource as a pdf you can check out and download.

Article: 8 Stunning Images of Black People In Medieval Europe — The Humanity Archive

People saying richly melinated Africans weren't in medieval Europe are liars or on some other type of time.

:mjpls:

:sas2:

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
JRPGS always been too overwhelmingly caucasian looking...:mjpls: and these folks are ASIANS :heh:
That's why the new generation of racists love anime so much.

Going to your highest power level turns your hair blonde? :mjpls:

Some of the dumbest hairstyles in animation history be in them animes, makes it unwatchable damn near.

And don't get started on black anime fans. Biggest c00ns right after drill rappers and Black MAGAts.

Well for Final fantasy 10, they did want to do something different that wasn’t European.

Personally I don’t care, I mean this is the Japanese we’re talking about? No group of Asians suck white Europeans dikk harder than they do…..

:francis:
No wonder it's the only one I fw :ahh:

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
@MeachTheMonster
Why expect anything different from Japanese devs?

Until Black people have a larger influence on storytelling and development, this is how it's going to be.
Because Namco, Capcom and other Japanese devs have been able to enter the 21st century. Not having diverse casts is definitely a choice at this point. The same company just put out Forspoken.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Because Namco, Capcom and other Japanese devs have been able to enter the 21st century. Not having diverse casts is definitely a choice at this point. The same company just put out Forspoken.
Was Frey in Forspoken some sort of amazing representation of a Black character? Like most (if not all) Black characters in video games, she was serviceable at best, I don't see the point in getting all worked up over how white and Asian writers handle these characters. Seems like begging for scraps, they make these games without us in mind, most of the time the only reason there's any diversity at all is to avoid criticism in the media or for the sake of some 'variety'.

Same for when people ask for Black characters in movies/anime, shyt is laughable :heh:

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
@MeachTheMonster
Why expect anything different from Japanese devs?

Until Black people have a larger influence on storytelling and development, this is how it's going to be.

Yup.

And that's pretty much all devs if we keeping it funky. So afraid of upsetting cacs having more non cac representation. Even women. Goofies.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
A dope African RPG game done right would be incredible.

Made about 10 years ago. I think developed by a team based out of Cameroon IIRC. Said to be pretty good.Unfortunately, despite owning it, I can't speak to its quality first hand, as it doesn't play at all on the Steam Deck. Least not without tinkering the shyt to boot windows.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Was Frey in Forspoken some sort of amazing representation of a Black character? Like most (if not all) Black characters in video games, she was serviceable at best, I don't see the point in getting all worked up over how white and Asian writers handle these characters. Seems like begging for scraps, they make these games without us in mind, most of the time the only reason there's any diversity at all is to avoid criticism in the media or for the sake of some 'variety'.

Same for when people ask for Black characters in movies/anime, shyt is laughable :heh:
It’s not “begging for scraps” to expect your existence to be respected in the products you buy.

People like you running defense for them with this nonsense are who needs sit down somewhere :stopitslime:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Wait…”why should we expect any better from jav devs?”

Huh?

:mjlol:

How about why should them jap devs expect us to buy their bullshyt? :heh:

And this same jap dev talkin about ppl ain’t buying his bullshyt as much and he’s afraid it’ll turn niche.

Well good! :russ:

I’ve only bought 2 FFs in the last 23 years… FF10 and FF7 Remake.

For the past decade, the only rpgs I’ll pay for have create your own player features or will feature some black folks in the supporting cast.

I don’t need to play every single game, so if it’s a cac-fantasy with oversized big bird ostriches with VIP passes but no nyggas allowed, that’s cool. They can have that.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
It’s not “begging for scraps” to expect your existence to be respected in the products you buy.

People like you running defense for them with this nonsense are who needs sit down somewhere :stopitslime:

I'm not defending anyone, it's the reality of the situation, you're buying their shyt, you know what their culture is like, are you really surprised with this statement? Either I'll play something else or I'll get tf over it, it won't always be like this.

And don't take 'begging for scraps' personally, it was a reply to a different comment in another context, don't act like I agree with them, it's how they are.

How about why should them jap devs expect us to buy their bullshyt?

And this same jap dev talkin about ppl ain’t buying his bullshyt as much and he’s afraid it’ll turn niche.

Well good!
:salute: