Final fantasy has a Medievil approach to diversity(too many black people=Bad)

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
shyt's called Final Fantasy due to the series being high fantasy based, and has kaiju sized summons, but they're concerned about staying true to medieval Europe. :dead:
To make it worse the games always has some call outs to other cultural designs like the middle east and africa. But puting actual brown people in the game is just too far.:smh:

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
It's always the same excuse whether it's something like Witcher 3 or Elden Ring or the myriad of other games that use the medieval/eastern European aesthetic. It's fukking fantasy. You can take liberties, especially when your game has fukking supernatural elements or dragons and shyt. The reason things like this will never change, though, is because people pick and choose when to call this stuff out or make excuses. The game looked good, but its overwhelming whiteness turned me off. Call me weird, but I just can't enjoy anything these days that's overwhelmingly white, be it games or movies or tv shows.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's always the same excuse whether it's something like Witcher 3 or Elden Ring or the myriad of other games that use the medieval/eastern European aesthetic. It's fukking fantasy. You can take liberties, especially when your game has fukking supernatural elements or dragons and shyt. The reason things like this will never change, though, is because people pick and choose when to call this stuff out or make excuses. The game looked good, but its overwhelming whiteness turned me off. Call me weird, but I just can't enjoy anything these days that's overwhelmingly white, be it games or movies or tv shows.

It's not necessarily weird. People look for some way to connect to entertainment, and it can get exhausting having to constantly have to put in at least one extra step of connecting to the characters because every single one of them is white.

What fukks me up is the dumbass justifications. At this point, I'd be far more willing to accept them just saying that going with a white cast was just what they ended up with, or they didn't use black characters because they couldn't figure out how to write them. It's still garbage, but at least it's not a lie I'd have to be an idiot to believe on top of being garbage.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I’m at the same point.

I honestly can’t imagine myself NOT playing the new FF game. It’s been a part of my gaming identity pretty much since i fell in love with games. And all that time(and it’s not just FF) i’ve had to pretty much accept how poorly black people and the black perspective had been handled in gaming.

So i’m torn on it. I even talked to my wife about the subject. I’m done consuming media that goes out of their way to erase black folks. There’s just so much out there i’d rather watch things that respect my existence. But like i said, i can’t imagine myself, NOT playing the new FF game. shyt sucks :smh:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There were diverse skin colors in medieval europe. Devs have to go out of their way to remove them from history not the other way around.

This defense is why they keep disrespecting you in their games and expecting you to run out and buy them :smh:
Yeah that's not my issue. You have stories that can be built around that. Having it not come up at all is a missed opportunity for storytelling

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’m at the same point.

I honestly can’t imagine myself NOT playing the new FF game. It’s been a part of my gaming identity pretty much since i fell in love with games. And all that time(and it’s not just FF) i’ve had to pretty much accept how poorly black people and the black perspective had been handled in gaming.

So i’m torn on it. I even talked to my wife about the subject. I’m done consuming media that goes out of their way to erase black folks. There’s just so much out there i’d rather watch things that respect my existence. But like i said, i can’t imagine myself, NOT playing the new FF game. shyt sucks :smh:

You’re gonna have to put that imagination to work:mjgrin:

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
shyt's called Final Fantasy due to the series being high fantasy based, and has kaiju sized summons, but they're concerned about staying true to medieval Europe. :dead:
What's funny is these games still have Japanese classes/styled characters Iike Samurai, Ninjas.etc included, but yeah, faithful to Medieval Europe lol.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah that's not my issue. You have stories that can be built around that. Having it not come up at all is a missed opportunity for storytelling
Any story talking about Medieval Europe should be talking about trade routes and interactions with the rest of the world.

Pretending europe was EVER a monolithic white skinned society is just incorrect.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any story talking about Medieval Europe should be talking about trade routes and interactions with the rest of the world.

Pretending europe was EVER a monolithic white skinned society is just incorrect.
And that isn't what I'm referring to.