Ex naughty dog developer says the studios MSFT acquired not touching Sony 1st party

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The problem is exclusives never really mattered until the Xbox came along. Sony Stan's felt really threatened around the 360 time

People had systems they use to like better but it was never talk about I'm not buying a Saturn or Dreamcast or Sega or Nintendo because it doesn't have enough exclusives.

All of a sudden with Xbox it became a this title vs that title for what's the best system to buy.

Which doesn't even make sense seeing as the gaming crowd now actually has more money to get systems and games they want instead of being stuck with whatever system there parents bought.

Multiplatform games have always been the best sellers. Infact how many exclusives have been goty? 2 maybe botw and GOW4?

Nintendo is the king of exclusives and it's not even mentioned in most console wars, why? Because it doesn't fit the narrative that exclusives are the reason to own a system otherwise EVERYONE should have a switch.

Exclusives don't matter at all to me, because I'm going to get whatever system has a game I want to play.

I'm much more interested in what else a consoles brings to my gaming experience....it's still all about the games. But it's much more important to have innovation and new ways to play.

I'm not buying an Xbox because it has 7 exclusive compared to another systems 4.

Who even looks at gaming like that?

The biggest and best selling games are multiplatform or they cross games from different gneres, platformers and developers. (aka smash)

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The problem is exclusives never really mattered until the Xbox came along. Sony Stan's felt really threatened around the 360 time

People had systems they use to like better but it was never talk about I'm not buying a Saturn or Dreamcast or Sega or Nintendo because it doesn't have enough exclusives.

All of a sudden with Xbox it became a this title vs that title for what's the best system to buy.

Which doesn't even make sense seeing as the gaming crowd now actually has more money to get systems and games they want instead of being stuck with whatever system there parents bought.

Multiplatform games have always been the best sellers. Infact how many exclusives have been goty? 2 maybe botw and GOW4?

Nintendo is the king of exclusives and it's not even mentioned in most console wars, why? Because it doesn't fit the narrative that exclusives are the reason to own a system otherwise EVERYONE should have a switch.

Exclusives don't matter at all to me, because I'm going to get whatever system has a game I want to play.

I'm much more interested in what else a consoles brings to my gaming experience....it's still all about the games. But it's much more important to have innovation and new ways to play.

I'm not buying an Xbox because it has 7 exclusive compared to another systems 4.

The biggest and best selling games are multiplatform or they cross games from different gneres, platformers and developers. (aka smash)
I'm noticing Xbots tend to vicariously Stan through Nintendo. They use Nintendo as some sort of buffer to avoid dealing with valid arguments dealing with game exclusives :ohhh:.

Lol. I'll break this post down in a bit.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Seems like some of them need to actually make games on Microsoft's budget before this is said. Turn 10, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, and Double Fine could compare. Playground Games seems like it could too depending on how their RPG shapes up.

It depends on Microsoft how that all plays out. The list is impressive though. 343 and The Coalition are fairly competent. The Initiative is a question mark. I've given up on Rareware.

These studios are garbage. Complete frauds.

Obsidian and the Initiative might produce the hits M$ needs but definitely not those idiots.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm noticing Xbots tend to vicariously Stan through Nintendo. They use Nintendo as some sort of buffer to avoid dealing with valid arguments dealing with game exclusives :ohhh:.

I've never thought about any system out of Nintendo and Sega and thought exclusives.

And even then it was just Do I want to play Mario or Sonic.

Now it's so force feed about how someone is not gonna get an Xbox because they can just get a PC, or no exclusives but the PC is terrible with console games either coming months later or being broken and the king of exclusive games is Nintendo.

It's pretty simple if it's about exclusive content then you should have a switch.

If you don't like Nintendo exclusives then get a PlayStation but dont act like it's the king of exclusives when it's not.

If you only plan on playing Sony 1st party games and the big multiplatform games each years PlayStation is the way for you this generation.

But next generation I can't call it, gamepass is really gonna shake things up and I think Sony is gonna have to answer Xbox and essentially Nintendo too (SNES/nes games online) with something.

All in all

Exclusives don't matter to me until it's a brand that's been established as high quality. Aka your Mario's, god of war, Halo's and Zelda's

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Not really. Nintendo has many exclusives on the top 50 best selling games of all time list.

Exclusive games matter more to fanboys going on about their console wars than they matter to the general public at large unless you’re Nintendo.

The most impactful games are multi platform games.
List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:what:

So exclusives never mattered? This is the revisionist history we making up now? NOTHING can be more wrong.

The idea of the third-party exclusive really came into its own during the 8-bit era, mainly because Nintendo forced it to. To publish games on the ultra-popular Nintendo Entertainment System, licensees had to agree to a strict non-compete clause that guaranteed those games would be exclusive to Nintendo's system for two years. Most developers were more than willing to sign on the dotted line to get access to the NES' tens of millions of players, squeezing out external game development resources for upstart challengers like the Sega Master System and Atari 7200.

When Sega broke into the market with the Genesis, it succeeded partly because it offered third-party publishers licensing terms that were much more favorable than the ones being forced on publishers by Nintendo (and the NES' near-monopoly). But it wasn't fated to be that way. As EA founder Bing Gordon recalled in a Game Informer interview, early on in the Genesis' life, Sega President Mike Katz wanted to try to enforce the same strict third-party licensing terms as Nintendo.

That situation didn't change until EA basically reverse-engineered the Genesis' lock-out chip and threatened to manufacture its own cartridges for any interested developer, cutting Sega out of the lucrative licensing process. “We basically said, ‘We’re going to run our own licensing program unless you agree to our terms,’” recalled Gordon.

As a result, Sega loosened its grip on third-party publishers, offering more favorable terms and rates than Nintendo (in turn forcing Nintendo to follow suit later on). The strong-arm deal ended up being one of the best things that could have happened for the Genesis, leading to a number of third-party exclusives from EA and other developers. This made the Genesis, and Sega, a force to be reckoned with. More publishers than ever decided to port their games to both the Genesis and the SNES, even though Japanese developers like Squaresoft and Enix largely retained the loyalty to Nintendo they had established in the NES days.

The 16-bit era also saw a number of pseudo-exclusives for each console. While the SNES got Street Fighter 2 Turbo, the Genesis got Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition. The SNES got Contra 3: The Alien Wars while the Genesis got Contra: Hard Corps. The SNES got TMNT: Turtles in Time while the Genesis got TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist. The SNES got Super Castlevania IV, while the Genesis got Castlevania: Bloodlines. In each case, both Sega and Nintendo could claim another "exclusive" title, while third-party developers got to exploit the customer base of two consoles that were both very popular.
The rise and fall (and rise and fall) of gaming’s third-party exclusives

Breh u just straight up lying. I remember people used to say they wouldn't buy the Gamecube because it didn't have enough exclusives worth buying. People didn't want a console that only had a Zelda or Mario title here and there. Smash bros, RE4, Metroid Prime practically saved the gamecube.

People mostly want an incentive on what console to buy and games typically matter. If someone casual walks into a store and sees both consoles for $400 but asks whats' the difference, I guarantee you an exclusive will be bought up. Xbox=Halo/Gears and Sony=God of War/Uncharted or w/e else. Those games are system sellers. God of War, Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon, Spider-Man has sold more than 10 million units thus far. That's a LOT. Compared to say COD which sells roughly the same amount. The sales for top games of the year include all three usually so COD's sales are across 3 platforms.

and? People can decide not to buy something because it's not worth it in their opinion. I never bought a Xbox One this gen not because I didn't have the money but because it was not worth it to me. I have one now(an S) only because someone literally gave it to me.

Wow.

Where are u getting this info from? GOTY is not a categorical award given by one entity. Game of the year will be different across many outlets.
List of Game of the Year awards - Wikipedia
U can see for yourself. I saw exclusives like Uncharted 2, Gears of War, God of War, RE4(when it was on GC), Metroid Prime etc.

King of exclusive? :mjlol: This is just the typical Xbox buffer argument. Just say Nintendo has GOTY because it's the best sounding non fanboyish statement. Nintendo is NOT the king of exclusives. BOTW is boring, Mario Odyssey wasn't that great and that leaves you with what? Luigi's Mansion 3? Astral Chain? Splatoon 2? The only game I can say was actually worth the hype was Smash Ultimate. Everything else is arguable.

Exclusives do matter to you because if one platform had ALL the games "you want to play" you wouldn't buy that platform at all. If PC or Xbox had Uncharted or Zelda or w/e you'd just stick with whatever console box you like.

Gtfoh. You more interested in games. You only saying all this innovation and new ways to play is important because it sounds nice. Nobody cared about the Wii U being innovative or Switch being portable because despite that people still will ask where's the games.
@CrimsonTider

You're buying an Xbox because you like Xbox and the games/platform is what you're invested in. It's not about comparing numbers literally. I'm buying PS5 because some of my favorite games are typically games found only on Sony platforms e.g. Naughty Dog games, Persona series, God of War, Guerilla games and new IPs each gen(LBP, TLOU, Dreams, Horizon, GoT etc.)

Duh. Multiplatform games are on more platforms and are typically the same 3/4 games(COD, GTA, NBA and a shooter or two).

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not really. Nintendo has many exclusives on the top 50 best selling games of all time list.
and tell me how long Nintendo has been around compared to Xbox?

Exclusive games matter more to fanboys going on about their console wars than they matter to the general public at large unless you’re Nintendo.

The most impactful games are multi platform games.
List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia
Breh, the majority of those games that are top selling ARE exclusives and/or phenomenons that had TIME to get to that level.

GTA, Mario, Pokemon, COD, Sports games.. Those are big games that have been around for a long time. GTA V is so big because it exploded on PS2(as an exclusive). It became multiplatform and then became even BIGGER. This doesn't discredit that exclusives don't matter. If God of War, Halo or Uncharted became multiplatform you don't think it'll be on that list?

Edit: That list is bullshyt.

Halo is not even on that list. There's NO way Halo 3 didn't make that list.
edit 2: Okay it's capped off at 16+ million.

If someone is going to tell me Halo 3 selling 14 million doesn't matter I'll show you a liar.
Also, where's this taking into account system sellers?

So Spider-Man selling 13 million doesn't matter? Horizon over 10 million doesn't matter?

You guys are trying so hard to defend MSFT not having a diverse array of exclusives that you'll bring up top selling games being multiplatform but fail to realize they are still the same games that sells practically every year(Sports, COD, Pokemon, Mario etc.)

If you notice, some of the biggest games are still exclusive.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
and tell me how long Nintendo has been around compared to Xbox?

Breh, the majority of those games that are top selling ARE exclusives and/or phenomenons that had TIME to get to that level.

GTA, Mario, Pokemon, COD, Sports games.. Those are big games that have been around for a long time. GTA V is so big because it exploded on PS2(as an exclusive). It became multiplatform and then became even BIGGER. This doesn't discredit that exclusives don't matter. If God of War, Halo or Uncharted became multiplatform you don't think it'll be on that list?

Edit: That list is bullshyt.

Halo is not even on that list. There's NO way Halo 3 didn't make that list.
edit 2: Okay it's capped off at 16+ million.

If someone is going to tell me Halo 3 selling 14 million doesn't matter I'll show you a liar.
Also, where's this taking into account system sellers?

So Spider-Man selling 13 million doesn't matter? Horizon over 10 million doesn't matter?

You guys are trying so hard to defend MSFT not having a diverse array of exclusives that you'll bring up top selling games being multiplatform but fail to realize they are still the same games that sells practically every year(Sports, COD, Pokemon, Mario etc.)

If you notice, some of the biggest games are still exclusive.
I'm not saying they have built up a stable of reliable exclusive titles because they haven't. What I'm saying is the games that really make impact on sales charts tend to be multiplatform games.

Also games like Pokémon Sun and Moon are on that list. Not all those games have had an eternity to reach those heights. Also Sony has systems that are well over 100 million consoles sold. The PS4 and PS2 are among the best selling systems of all time. The PS3 wasn't a slouch either. If exclusive games are so important why is The Last of Us basically the only Sony exclusive on that list when they have historic system sales?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not saying they have built up a stable of reliable exclusive titles because they haven't. What I'm saying is the games that really make impact on sales charts tend to be multiplatform games.

Also games like Pokémon Sun and Moon are on that list. Not all those games have had an eternity to reach those heights. Also Sony has systems that are well over 100 million consoles sold. The PS4 and PS2 are among the best selling systems of all time. The PS3 wasn't a slouch either. If exclusive games are so important why is The Last of Us basically the only Sony exclusive on that list when they have historic system sales?
Pokemon Sun and Moon.

Nuff said.

Anyway Sony's exclusives tend to be split across many games. It doesn't mean the same 10 million that buy PS consoles for TLOU or God of War are the same 10 million that buys Gran Turismo. Their consoles and userbase is spread among many different gamers. It's not a one stop zone unlike Nintendo where if you like Mario you probably like Zelda too or Metroid. Sony is very varied. I don't think the guys who buy PS4's for say JRPGS are going to also overlap with the group that want to play tlou.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:what:

So exclusives never mattered? This is the revisionist history we making up now? NOTHING can be more wrong.

The rise and fall (and rise and fall) of gaming’s third-party exclusives

Breh u just straight up lying. I remember people used to say they wouldn't buy the Gamecube because it didn't have enough exclusives worth buying. People didn't want a console that only had a Zelda or Mario title here and there. Smash bros, RE4, Metroid Prime practically saved the gamecube.

People mostly want an incentive on what console to buy and games typically matter. If someone casual walks into a store and sees both consoles for $400 but asks whats' the difference, I guarantee you an exclusive will be bought up. Xbox=Halo/Gears and Sony=God of War/Uncharted or w/e else. Those games are system sellers. God of War, Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon, Spider-Man has sold more than 10 million units thus far. That's a LOT. Compared to say COD which sells roughly the same amount. The sales for top games of the year include all three usually so COD's sales are across 3 platforms.

and? People can decide not to buy something because it's not worth it in their opinion. I never bought a Xbox One this gen not because I didn't have the money but because it was not worth it to me. I have one now(an S) only because someone literally gave it to me.

Wow.

Where are u getting this info from? GOTY is not a categorical award given by one entity. Game of the year will be different across many outlets.
List of Game of the Year awards - Wikipedia
U can see for yourself. I saw exclusives like Uncharted 2, Gears of War, God of War, RE4(when it was on GC), Metroid Prime etc.

King of exclusive? :mjlol: This is just the typical Xbox buffer argument. Just say Nintendo has GOTY because it's the best sounding non fanboyish statement. Nintendo is NOT the king of exclusives. BOTW is boring, Mario Odyssey wasn't that great and that leaves you with what? Luigi's Mansion 3? Astral Chain? Splatoon 2? The only game I can say was actually worth the hype was Smash Ultimate. Everything else is arguable.

Exclusives do matter to you because if one platform had ALL the games "you want to play" you wouldn't buy that platform at all. If PC or Xbox had Uncharted or Zelda or w/e you'd just stick with whatever console box you like.

Gtfoh. You more interested in games. You only saying all this innovation and new ways to play is important because it sounds nice. Nobody cared about the Wii U being innovative or Switch being portable because despite that people still will ask where's the games.
@CrimsonTider

You're buying an Xbox because you like Xbox and the games/platform is what you're invested in. It's not about comparing numbers literally. I'm buying PS5 because some of my favorite games are typically games found only on Sony platforms e.g. Naughty Dog games, Persona series, God of War, Guerilla games and new IPs each gen(LBP, TLOU, Dreams, Horizon, GoT etc.)

Duh. Multiplatform games are on more platforms and are typically the same 3/4 games(COD, GTA, NBA and a shooter or two).

I can't reply like I want, but I'm gonna say I disagree and goal post is a bit shifted.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
He's not wrong in what he's saying. Building/Acquiring a studio and keeping it going over time should yield great results and show improvement over time. Constantly bringing in new teams that may have to shift direction may not always work out, and if Sony/MSFT stick their noses in and push certain ideas into games, that could also lead to issues.

Studios should have a consistent culture unique to them, and you can only build that with time. Not to say a better culture will automatically create the greatest games, but it does help when you have 95% of your team on the same page and everyone shares the same vision. I don't think a game like The Last Of Us is likely to come from a studio that was just brought in/formed recently.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Seems like some of them need to actually make games on Microsoft's budget before this is said. Turn 10, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, and Double Fine could compare. Playground Games seems like it could too depending on how their RPG shapes up.

It depends on Microsoft how that all plays out. The list is impressive though. 343 and The Coalition are fairly competent. The Initiative is a question mark. I've given up on Rareware.
Yea people trashing Xbox Studios are bugging. The Coalition just needs to work on a NEW IP that is not Gears. They are a quality dev. Obsidian Games ALONE based on their track record can compete with many Sony Studios are is lowkey dangerous. Do people seriously forget Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II existed? Do they forget Fallout: New Vegas existed? Which was considered the best Fallout? Like really?

Also Playground Games is very competent and are working on a new RPG IP which they hired many talented ppl around the industry. Ninja Theory? They already have a decent track record and their mocap is amazing.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

Exclusives def did not matter during gen 6 with the PS2. The PS2 didn't really have much first party offerings.

But.... Exclusives are more important now than ever.

Last edited:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Yea people trashing Xbox Studios are bugging. The Coalition just needs to work on a NEW IP that is not Gears. They are a quality dev. Obsidian Games ALONE based on their track record can compete with many Sony Studios are is lowkey dangerous. Do people seriously forget Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II existed? Do they forget Fallout: New Vegas existed? Which was considered the best Fallout? Like really?

Also Playground Games is very competent and are working on a new RPG IP which they hired many talented ppl around the industry. Ninja Theory? They already have a decent track record and their mocap is amazing.

Obsidian also has put out Alpha Protocol and Dungeon Siege 3 which were meh at best bruh. Obsidian JUST NOW started making their own original IPs that were good(Pillars of Eternity and Outer Worlds) which will still get outshined by other games in the same genre(Divinity and Cyberpunk 2077), they are a good developer not a great one.

And 80-90% of the games I play are RPGs and to say you want an xbox over a playstation because of RPGs is :mjlol: , :what:, and :comeon: at the same time bruh. The lack of RPGs is why I don't even bother with xbox too much anymore.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Obsidian also has put out Alpha Protocol and Dungeon Siege 3 which were meh at best bruh. Obsidian JUST NOW started making their own original IPs that were good(Pillars of Eternity and Outer Worlds) which will still get outshined by other games in the same genre(Divinity and Cyberpunk 2077), they are a good developer not a great one.
Again do we forget KOTR and Fallout NV exist?

And 80-90% of the games I play are RPGs and to say you want an xbox over a playstation because of RPGs is :mjlol: , :what:, and :comeon: at the same time bruh. The lack of RPGs is why I don't even bother with xbox too much anymore.

How many western RPGs does Sony have? Because I don't count Horizon as a true RPG imo. And I KNOW the X1 is lacking on western RPGs however they been purchasing a lot of western RPG studios and have been investing in western RPGs with Inxile, Playground and Obisidian. Heck Phil even said they will be targeting western RPGs. This will probably be the OG Xbox days all over again.