Every episode of that "#blackAF" show (Netflix) is titled "because of slavery"

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So ypu have a problem with Black-Ish? Tracy Ellis Ross is bi-racial just like Rashida Jones. 3 of the kids are "beige". You all love Martin, Martin's love interest was light bright Tisha Campbell is that okay?
Black-ish isn't saying they're black af, it's saying they're black-ish. The problem is the name.of the show not matching the characters .

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
If everyone has their own opinion of what BlackAF is, why the fukk are yall bytching? Let that shiit rock.
Cause its called #BlackAF. It should be called "The Kenya Barris Show", #RichAF, or whatever. Curb Your Enthusiasm isn't called #JewishAF, Modern Family isn't called "Dime Latinas", The Cosby Show wasn't called "Boule INC". They got to be whatever they wanted to be just off their title alone. Calling your show #BlackAF opens up too much unwarranted criticism. Or who knows, maybe he wanted all that smoke. Pub is pub no matter good or bad

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Bullshyt. He was just trying to start shyt.

There are.

Kenya Barris wrote the first two episodes himself.
Esa Lewis co-wrote the 3rd episode.
Doug Hall wrote the 5th episode.
Alison McDonald wrote the 6th episode.

And those are just writing credits, Kenya Barris himself (the creator, producer, star, and director of several episodes) is obviously acting as the showrunner and several of the white writers on the show are ones that he's already been collaborating with for all his previous shows so they're working under his direction.

It's obnoxious because this is one of the most free hands that a Black producer has been given to create his own show with a serious budget, it's 100% a Black man's creative vision with Black talent on both sides of the camera, and people casting shade just because he hired some white talent in minor roles.
Breh this shyt is wack

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
They are mixed. Should be called mixed af. And have a mixed family.
His life isn't black as fuk tho, so why not call it mixed af
Breh, the show's title is about him. He's defending his own Blackness from haters like you.

Cause its called #BlackAF. It should be called "The Kenya Barris Show", #RickAF, or whatever. Curb Your Enthusiasm isn't called #JewishAF, Modern Family isn't called "Dime Latinas", The Cosby Show wasn't called "Boule INC". They got to be whatever they wanted to be just off their title alone. Calling your show #BlackAF opens up too much unwarranted criticism. Or who knows, maybe he wanted all that smoke. Pub is pub no matter good or bad
"Black-ish" started under the working title "Black shyt" and to me looks like basically a show explaining Black shyt to the rest of the country. ABC clearly wasn't gonna let them go with "Black shyt", so they made the title "Black-ish" as an inside joke because it sounds close to "Black shyt" and to play off of the dynamic between the Black dad and the sorta-Black mom. But he caught a lot of heat for that title (The Coli hated it before they watched it). ABC also wouldn't let him air certain things that were too Black for them, including explicitly telling him not to talk about slavery so much.

So when he went to Netflicks and was allowed to remake a version of the show on his OWN terms, where he got to say the things he wanted to say, he called it "Black as fukk" to affirm his own Black identity and his own message.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Breh, the show's title is about him. He's defending his own Blackness from haters like you.

"Black-ish" started under the working title "Black shyt" and to me looks like basically a show explaining Black shyt to the rest of the country. ABC clearly wasn't gonna let them go with "Black shyt", so they made the title "Black-ish" as an inside joke because it sounds close to "Black shyt" and to play off of the dynamic between the Black dad and the sorta-Black mom. But he caught a lot of heat for that title (The Coli hated it before they watched it). ABC also wouldn't let him air certain things that were too Black for them, including explicitly telling him not to talk about slavery so much.

So when he went to Netflicks and was allowed to remake a version of the show on his OWN terms, where he got to say the things he wanted to say, he called it "Black as fukk" to affirm his own Black identity and his own message.
I know this entire back story and his beefs with ABC and I get that. And yes I realize that this is Kenya Barris personal story. But with that type of title it opens up everyone's own personal belief of what it is to be black in America and I personally don't have a problem with people not agreeing with the the show even though I pretty much liked it myself except for the excessive stunting. A title like is going to be divisive no matter what. To me this is the "Kenya Barris Show". He named it #BlackAF, it is what it is but that opens up a whole different can of worms and different viewpoints. Its almost like a trolling title for a show. Alot of people had a bad opinion of the show before they even saw one episode just of the title alone.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Not saying it's not true, but is there any proof that it was originally called black shyt

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Not saying it's not true, but is there any proof that it was originally called black shyt
Nah, that's just the story I hear people say. And from the way Kenya says the word whenever he says the title too, he makes it two words instead of one like he's trying to imply something else.

"Black shyt"
"Grown shyt"
"Mixed shyt"

All of those titles make a hell of a lot more sense in reference to the actual subject matter of their shows.

When I was trying to look it up to see if there was proof, I found this shyt instead

We're being ruled by one of the most ignorant fools in the entire country. :snoop:

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
A black man, with a black wife, with black children. Loving their black culture and not conforming
Grow up and go outside. The “Black experience” doesn’t have to look like boys in the hood anymore.
Middle, upper class and mixed black families exist, and have their own stories and experiences. My kids have never had to see the struggles I did, and live in a place where people of all races do also, being black in those spaces is different and comes with its own set of assumptions and micro aggressions which I appreciate him addressing on here and blackish.

white folks constantly trying to figure out how you can afford stuff, dealing w their friends parents, wondering how much assimilation is “selling out”, Hell I remember years ago older black managers in my company constantly admonishing me if I wore Jordan’s on casual days and having to seriously consider if something that simple would f up my management track by being off putting to higher ups.

wanting to still feel BlackAF when the reality of your circumstances has put you in the middle of all these conflicting situations and influences is kinda the premise of the show. IMO.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Grow up and go outside. The “Black experience” doesn’t have to look like boys in the hood anymore.
Middle, upper class and mixed black families exist, and have their own stories and experiences. My kids have never had to see the struggles I did, and live in a place where people of all races do also, being black in those spaces is different and comes with its own set of assumptions and micro aggressions which I appreciate him addressing on here and blackish.

white folks constantly trying to figure out how you can afford stuff, dealing w their friends parents, wondering how much assimilation is “selling out”, Hell I remember years ago older black managers in my company constantly admonishing me if I wore Jordan’s on casual days and having to seriously consider if something that simple would f up my management track by being off putting to higher ups.

wanting to still feel BlackAF when the reality of your circumstances has put you in the middle of all these conflicting situations and influences is kinda the premise of the show. IMO.
Are you dumb? When did I say it has to be hood?

Why isn't this called mixedAF