Every episode of that "#blackAF" show (Netflix) is titled "because of slavery"

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
It's insane because for a platform, that's for Black people and speaks about Black men so much, particularly, 'heteronormative, cishet' Black men, the representation of those men is very questionable.

And it's not even me just throwing shots for the sake of it. I think YouTube channels like 'Jubilee' and their 'Middle Ground' series.

They *purposely* bring people in with opposing views for discourse on a very diverse range of topics and what you end up seeing a lot is some sort of common ground in understanding, empathy, etc.

I really wish The Grapevine would implement more of that approach.
:ohhh:I'll check those YouTube channels out.:salute:

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's insane because for a platform, that's for Black people and speaks about Black men so much, particularly, 'heteronormative, cishet' Black men, the representation of those men is very questionable.

And it's not even me just throwing shots for the sake of it. I think about YouTube channels like 'Jubilee' and their 'Middle Ground' series.

They purposely bring people in with opposing views for discourse on a very diverse range of topics and what you end up seeing a lot is some sort of common ground in understanding, empathy, etc.

And it's not just about diversity in the people, but also diversity in thoughts. I wouldn't mind seeing an episode with an entirely Black & female cast, if there was diversity in thoughts and ideas.

I really wish The Grapevine would implement more of that approach.
Them kind of people ain’t interested in actual discourse though.

Ironically, they are just like the “non-progressive” people they constantly lament about.

Mickey Kane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London, England
Them kind of people ain’t interested in actual discourse though.

Ironically, they are just like the “non-progressive” people they constantly lament about.

It really is a shame, because it is a Black platform with reach.

They even came over to London a couple of years ago and the vast majority of the cast from London they bought in, were of the same ilk.

So there's definitely a consistency there.

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

They even came over to London a couple of years ago and the vast majority of the cast from London they bought in, were of the same ilk.

Yeah, I know A LOT of people like this in real life and they’re insufferable. I’ll work with them and go to their events to network but most of my real friends in real life are not the dictionary definition of “woke” and don’t find every fukking thing “problematic” but they still good ppl who treat others well regardless of whatever group/vulnerable population an individual comes from.

A lot of these “woke” Black folks don’t understand that they’re playing a game that isn’t theirs to play. As a large, masculine presenting Black dude who is a sports and hip hop head, they often misread me as being one of their problematic heterosexist cishet males not knowing that I often know more shyt about the oppression of different groups than they do (it’s built into my career, plus I think it’s just good to respect ppl).

So I mean, I know what I’m dealing with and I take them with a grain of salt. Type of people who go to events or watch shyt just to criticize it. Smh.

Mickey Kane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London, England
Yeah, I know A LOT of people like this in real life and they’re insufferable. I’ll work with them and go to their events to network but most of my real friends in real life are not the dictionary definition of “woke” and don’t find every fukking thing “problematic” but they still good ppl who treat others well regardless of whatever group/vulnerable population an individual comes from.

A lot of these “woke” Black folks don’t understand that they’re playing a game that isn’t theirs to play. As a large, masculine presenting Black dude who is a sports and hip hop head, they often misread me as being one of their problematic heterosexist cishet males not knowing that I often know more shyt about the oppression of different groups than they do (it’s built into my career, plus I think it’s just good to respect ppl).

So I mean, I know what I’m dealing with and I take them with a grain of salt. Type of people who go to events or watch shyt just to criticize it. Smh.

I'm very similar and it became a more recent experience for me when I started working in the creative industries.

I used to work at a creative agency here, with about 140 people in the office, with no more than a dozen Black people. 3-4 Black men maximum (one was gay) and the rest were women.

On lunch breaks, we'd tend to eat together sometimes and a few of them were on that 'woke' wave. I ENJOYED being 'problematic', for debating and entertainment purposes and what I realised was, it was good to have them exposed to some...unfiltered, real life, Black male energy.

I felt compelled to kinda be that way with a few of them (and it tended to be good-natured) because what you realise is, a lot of these type of people don't actually spend time with Black men like that so it always rubbed me up the wrong way that they could speak on us, in particular to how our minds worked with minimal interaction be it professionally, socially, romantically, etc.

Man, when the Jussie Smollett sh*t came out, the group work chats >>>>

:russ:

jay83

Superstar
Daps

Ive been looking for non biased shows on the internet to discuss relationships and black issues so i heard about the grapevine. I was looking forward to seeing a cool show and after two episodes I literally feel like i wasted an hour of my life.

Its like they are trying to out woke each other with who can say the hottest line. One of the girls on that show literally quotes herself on her social media page.

So much potential wasted. But in a way its kind of a good representation of many people in the black community currently. Alot of grandstanding, mixed with finger-pointing, and no solutions.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
His view is not based on colorism .. its based on how they act and what interests they have.

The entire BLACKAF is in reference to him. he said before in interviews.. he was a black kid in the city. Growing up and getting money and the black kids he has doesn't represent the same things he did. they have white friends, listen to "white" pop music and he's like thats BS.. Im supposed to be Black my family supposed to black but this aint the black i envisioned i would be growing up... at all costs im gonna remain blackaf ... but its not working..

i have my kids .. im like wtf , y'all do like rap... no 90s hiphop ..wtf is this ariana grande stuff. you watch riverdale and not martin .. WTF. I work where i work and my wife. yeah my kids in private school but damn it im black.. im from the hood.... f that... but thats not how they growing up.

he's trying to project his upbringing on his kids and it aint working

I wasn't talking about Kenya Barris. I was answering the question to the guy I quoted, regarding the dumbass poster whom keeps asking the reason behind the shows title, despite it continuously already being answered, multiple times by multiple posters. I know about Kenya's perspective, as I've watched the show and watch most of his shows to get the gist of his stylings.

Last edited:

Mickey Kane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London, England
Ive been looking for non biased shows on the internet to discuss relationships and black issues so i heard about the grapevine. I was looking forward to seeing a cool show and after two episodes I literally feel like i wasted an hour of my life.

Its like they are trying to out woke each other with who can say the hottest line. One of the girls on that show literally quotes herself on her social media page.

So much potential wasted. But in a way its kind of a good representation of many people in the black community currently. Alot of grandstanding, mixed with finger-pointing, and no solutions.

Yeah bro, I'll still tune in because I still want to be exposed to the 'other side'.

And you may pick up on something that's actually profound or insightful (the main gay Black dude isn't actually that bad IMO, he's probably the most balanced individual on there).

It's important to pay attention to every side of discussion to gain true understanding.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yep show is fire to me it actually made me laugh out loud more than twice and I'm just finishing up episode 3...& that's hard to do...buddy has 6 kids 4 girls 2 boys ...man they all thoed off in there own way and those boys :francis:no help for them just future weirdos

Nah, he has 3 girls and 3 boys (on the show). In real life, he has 4 boys and 2 girls. He basically changed his middle/2nd oldest son into a girl character on the show.

On the Show:

0-1.jpg

IRL:
kenya-barris-wife-and-kids-1587139645514.jpg

EDIT:

Upon reading this article where I got the IRL pic from, I'm not really sure which is the true genders of the kids, lol. The pic above looks to show 4 boys and 2 girls. Other pics on the link looks to show other numbers. Not sure if there's like cousins or something else as far as some of the other kids in the pics.

The Story of Kenya Barris' Marriage Is a Bit More Complicated Off-Screen

Last edited:

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm very similar and it became a more recent experience for me when I started working in the creative industries.

I used to work at a creative agency here, with about 140 people in the office, with no more than a dozen Black people. 3-4 Black men maximum (one was gay) and the rest were women.

On lunch breaks, we'd tend to eat together sometimes and a few of them were on that 'woke' wave. I ENJOYED being 'problematic', for debating and entertainment purposes and what I realised was, it was good to have them exposed to some...unfiltered, real life, Black male energy.

I felt compelled to kinda be that way with a few of them (and it tended to be good-natured) because what you realise is, a lot of these type of people don't actually spend time with Black men like that so it always rubbed me up the wrong way that they could speak on us, in particular to how our minds worked with minimal interaction be it professionally, socially, romantically, etc.

Man, when the Jussie Smollett sh*t came out, the group work chats >>>>

:russ:

Basically, this. It’s like when kids say they don’t like a food they never even tried yet.

Also, this. These motherfukkers are the jocks of the nerd world. Just trying to bully people into seeing things the way they do even though their only point of reference for human interaction are with themselves. It’s like, go outside yo. fukk.