Every episode of that "#blackAF" show (Netflix) is titled "because of slavery"

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Grow up and go outside. The “Black experience” doesn’t have to look like boys in the hood anymore.
Middle, upper class and mixed black families exist, and have their own stories and experiences. My kids have never had to see the struggles I did, and live in a place where people of all races do also, being black in those spaces is different and comes with its own set of assumptions and micro aggressions which I appreciate him addressing on here and blackish.

white folks constantly trying to figure out how you can afford stuff, dealing w their friends parents, wondering how much assimilation is “selling out”, Hell I remember years ago older black managers in my company constantly admonishing me if I wore Jordan’s on casual days and having to seriously consider if something that simple would f up my management track by being off putting to higher ups.

wanting to still feel BlackAF when the reality of your circumstances has put you in the middle of all these conflicting situations and influences is kinda the premise of the show. IMO.

You nikkas reveal yourselves

Typing a diatribe on some shyt a nikka didnt even say

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
That's his experience I think. Isnt his wife mixed? That's his life.

Obama...Fredrick Douglas...Booker T...Kamala (who I'm not a fan of at all)...Lisa Bonet...Halle....The Hughes Brothers...Faith Evans....Bob Marley..........you dont considerate them black? If they did (those still alive) a story on their life, it's going to be some mixed people bruh bruh. But they are people who have fought for us and/or identify with us culturally.

I'm black, my momma/daddy and everyone in my family is black. That's me tho. The show is his life?

Why is the title so offensive to you?

Cuz his view of black AF is strictly based off colorism and being of darker complexion most likely than anything, which is skewed AF.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Cuz his view of black AF is strictly based off colorism and being of darker complexion most likely than anything, which is skewed AF.

His view is not based on colorism .. its based on how they act and what interests they have.

The entire BLACKAF is in reference to him. he said before in interviews.. he was a black kid in the city. Growing up and getting money and the black kids he has doesn't represent the same things he did. they have white friends, listen to "white" pop music and he's like thats BS.. Im supposed to be Black my family supposed to black but this aint the black i envisioned i would be growing up... at all costs im gonna remain blackaf ... but its not working..

i have my kids .. im like wtf , y'all do like rap... no 90s hiphop ..wtf is this ariana grande stuff. you watch riverdale and not martin .. WTF. I work where i work and my wife. yeah my kids in private school but damn it im black.. im from the hood.... f that... but thats not how they growing up.

he's trying to project his upbringing on his kids and it aint working

Mickey Kane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London, England
You knew they'd have their take on the show and "Black men".

Damn she bad.:noah:

Ahhh, the Echo Chamber.

Is it only me who notices that they'll usually have only 1-2 Black men (who are straight) that'll say something that goes 'against the grain' but the rest of the panel will be the same, like-minded women/gay Black men who basically repeat the same thing over and over again.

It's a shame really.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Ahhh, the Echo Chamber.

Is it only me who notices that they'll usually have only 1-2 Black men (who are straight) that'll say something that goes 'against the grain' but the rest of the panel will be the same, like-minded women/gay Black men who basically repeat the same thing over and over again.

It's a shame really.
If you disagrree with them and call them on their sh!t, you are "gaslighting" them. :gucci:

jay83

Superstar
Daps
You knew they'd have their take on the show and "Black men".

Damn she bad.:noah:

Ive watched a few episodes of the show unfortunately.

These people just want a reason to vent their narrative. They dont care about solutions.

I dont think any of the women are even married as much as they talk about relationships.

The ayaesha chick just talks girl power and quotes her own self on instagram. The host is just looking to get chose by a rich dude. The Uchechi chick stays babbling and every other word is colorism, or black men need to step up.
The gay dude thinks because he is gay that hes not a black man, and he cant be lumped with the rest of us. The haitian dude is the only one who will speak up and even he seems suspect.

I feel like if the root had a talk-show this is grapevine is the living embodiment of it.

Mickey Kane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London, England
If you disagrree with them and call them on their sh!t, you are "gaslighting" them. :gucci:

It's insane because for a platform, that's for Black people and speaks about Black men so much, particularly, 'heteronormative, cishet' Black men, the representation of those men is very questionable.

And it's not even me just throwing shots for the sake of it. I think about YouTube channels like 'Jubilee' and their 'Middle Ground' series.

They purposely bring people in with opposing views for discourse on a very diverse range of topics and what you end up seeing a lot is some sort of common ground in understanding, empathy, etc.

And it's not just about diversity in the people, but also diversity in thoughts. I wouldn't mind seeing an episode with an entirely Black & female cast, if there was diversity in thoughts and ideas.

I really wish The Grapevine would implement more of that approach.

Last edited:

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Ive watched a few episodes of the show unfortunately.

These people just want a reason to vent their narrative. They dont care about solutions.

I dont think any of the women are even married as much as they talk about relationships.

The ayaesha chick just talks girl power and quotes her own self on instagram. The host is just looking to get chose by a rich dude. The Uchechi chick stays babbling and every other word is colorism, or black men need to step up.
The gay dude thinks because he is gay that hes not a black man, and he cant be lumped with the rest of us. The haitian dude is the only one who will speak up and even he seems suspect.

I feel like if the root had a talk-show this is grapevine is the living embodiment of it.
Doesn't the Root have a section of it's website called the Grapevine? I thought they were related. But you're right. Same :demonic:mentality