Eric B. and Rakim tweet: Witnessing devolution of Rap

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Dudes ARE out of touch, no pretending necessary. Posting ':trash:' is a lame ass copout. If you have an opinion then get to it, calling everything trash is just lazy shytposting. Am I to understand that you believe that NONE of the projects I listed are good?

NONE of them are good. Trash beats, lame voices, dull rhymes. Tired subject matter in parts.

Solid is the new "I'll mark this as good even though I'll never bump it regularly ever again."

You wanna talk about what's :russell:?

The same fukking 'music is declining, what happened to yesterday' ass threads that get posted in the booth every other day.

Agreed.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
I'd say lyrical ability stopped progressing after 96.
That was the peak of lyricism in hip hop.
I even made a thread about it back in my thread-making days :prodigylol:
Was 1996 the Peak of Rhyming? Free Daps & Reps

I agree that ‘96 was the last great year of Hip Hop, the year that hip hop how anyone remembered it from ‘76 to ‘96 in fact died, but lyricism itself continued to advance we’ll beyond ‘96. It just went underground with the whole Def Jux, Rawkus, etc. movements.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I agree that ‘96 was the last great year of Hip Hop, the year that hip hop how anyone remembered it from ‘76 to ‘96 in fact died, but lyricism itself continued to advance we’ll beyond ‘96. It just went underground with the whole Def Jux, Rawkus, etc. movements.
Who do you think was taking it beyond what had already been done by 96?

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I don’t even care anymore... I went to the Never had shyt tour just to see what kinda heat these young dudes got and I was thoroughly entertained.. None of these guys will go mainstream though.
15-og.jpg

We got heat out here but nikkas can’t get shine like they should.. Meanwhile we get mad when Post Malone, G Easy, or some other not great rappers get the spotlight. I think the people can easily shift what’s happening in hiphop... they just like barely coherent ass mofos over trap beats.

fscballin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You had a nikka freestyling about his cheeks getting blown out on world syndicate radio and possibly gonna be blowing up. You had another one basically justifying being a rat. You have OG's cosigning pokemon players turning thugs for a bag, Plus the fans and its new gen of rappers spits in the face regularly of tradition and its legends. Shyt is basically a corpse at this point. Plus you got cornball ass nikkas whom aint even from the turf giving power positions to speak for the culture and giving a true misrepresentation of it as a whole.

tenor.gif

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
If rap is the voice of the streets then it sounds like the streets need to be put to sleep because they're already dead on their feet.

I'm just glad I got to witness the artform occur when you actually needed skills - either behind the boards or on the mic, no half steppin'

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
If rap is the voice of the streets then it sounds like the streets need to be put to sleep because they're already dead on their feet.

I'm just glad I got to witness the artform occur when you actually needed skills - either behind the boards or on the mic, no half steppin'

I always had serious reservations with this whole rap is the voice of the street, the Black cnn etc:rudy:
Because if thats the case then we are all worthless junkies strung out on pills and living like roaches:jbhmm:

Nah..:camby:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
I'm convinced people who identify with what's in the OP, have been living in a cave for at least a year. No more condescension from old heads, how bad is rap doing really?
We had a year where:
Raekwon dropped a solid album
Jay dropped a solid album
Ross dropped a solid album
Ma$e, Dipset returned
Rapsody dropped some heat outta nowhere
Kendrick dropped a solid album
Big KRIT dropped a solid double disc album
Wu-Tang returned, dropped a solid album
Joey Bada$$ dropped a solid album
Drake dropped a solid album
Etc.

struggle-list.
and I don't know anything about the fakkit freestyle yall talkin about.

the fact that youre listing "solid albums" says it all.
I remember when stuff you rank as solid albums, wouldn't even get mentioned.
and some of this stuff is just weak. not solid. but that's besides the point.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
He had the business and the streets/connections.

Kinda reminds me of how Q-Tip was the actual producer of the Tribe records while Shaheed was just the DJ, but all the beats were credited to the whole group because Tip didn't want people to think he was doing most of the work. :ehh:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
struggle-list.
and I don't know anything about the fakkit freestyle yall talkin about.

the fact that youre listing "solid albums" says it all.
I remember when stuff you rank as solid albums, wouldn't even get mentioned.
and some of this stuff is just weak. not solid. but that's besides the point.
I mean I would be ok with that list if more people cared about half the shyt that happened. People only cared abouy Jay and Kendrick from that list. That other shyt just happened..

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Inadvertently stumble over the truth and still don't see it, brehs.

Black lives? Worthless
Black pride? Non existent
Black hope? Now available in pill form or via youtube prophets
Black power? Focused on buying shyt to impress people as broke as yourself and you wonder why people get high to get by?

If you don’t see it then it wasn’t meant for you to see
If you wasn’t born with it it wasn’t meant for you to be
But you can’t blame me for not wantin to be held
Locked down in a cell where the soul can’t dwell
This is hell, go get the devil and give me the key

Youre deliberately missing the point:why:

And given the argument youre trying to make, it would have been more appropriate to display rap videos of Black pride from 2017 and not from 2 decades ago. Or are you suggesting Black pride in rap was only found 20 years ago thus making my point? Explain yourself :sas2:

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Youre deliberately missing the point:why:

And given the argument youre trying to make, it would have been more appropriate to display rap videos of Black pride from 2017 and not from 2 decades ago. Or are you suggesting Black pride in rap was only found 20 years ago thus making my point? Explain yourself :sas2:

Not at all, I linked those songs due to the titles because, like the content of my first comment, you'd only skim the surface/see the words and not the deeper meaning. You actually hit the nail on the head with "Because if thats the case then we are all worthless junkies strung out on pills and living like roaches" but acted like you didn't see it so either we're saying the same thing or you're agreeing with what I said.
We finished or are you done?:birdman:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Not at all, I linked those songs due to the titles because, like the content of my first comment, you'd only skim the surface/see the words and not the deeper meaning. You actually hit the nail on the head with "Because if thats the case then we are all worthless junkies strung out on pills and living like roaches" but acted like you didn't see it so either we're saying the same thing or you're agreeing with what I said.
We finished or are you done?:birdman:

We finished and done..