Eric B. and Rakim tweet: Witnessing devolution of Rap

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I hate when old rappers turn into curmudgeons and get set in their ways and stunt on youthful growth, because THEY didn't go down that path. We live in the now & it's about these younger rappers. I personally love the fact that these younger artist are not trying to impress the rappers before them and being themselves - not growing up too fast - being wild cuz honestly, that's what half of these washed up rappers once were when they were that same age. It's the duty of all young artist to be like, 'f*ck these older artist' cuz that mindset keeps the music going. If you got a whole generation trying to be Eric B & Rakim then where is the progression, it gets boring.

Suspicions

All Star
Daps
I agree, but sometimes you have to to take a couple steps back in order to take a leap forward.

Hip Hop is a microcosm of the country at large, can't expect nikkas to be outchea eating tide pods in the real world and not have the music be reflective of the retardation.

What comes after such a low point is what's interesting/innovative. Destroy and rebuild.
Lmaooo nikkas eating tide pods

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Who do you think was taking it beyond what had already been done by 96?

Lyrically?

The folks I named.

The Def Jux cats like Sage Francis and Asop Rock

Rawkus artists like Pharoah, Mos, and Talib

Also independent artists like Homeboy Sandman.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
rakim can criticize the rap because he one of the legends

but eric b? he is the fukking business man, he did none of that shyt on their albums, it was rakim and marley marl doing all the work. Like am I supposed to take eric b's opinion on rapping seriously? :why:

Suspicions

All Star
Daps
rakim can criticize the rap because he one of the legends

but eric b? he is the fukking business man, he did none of that shyt on their albums, it was rakim and marley marl doing all the work. Like am I supposed to take eric b's opinion on rapping seriously? :why:
Dog its two nikkas on one twitter account i doubt either of them typed that lmao

Tigron

Superstar
Daps
NONE of them are good. Trash beats, lame voices, dull rhymes. Tired subject matter in parts.

Solid is the new "I'll mark this as good even though I'll never bump it regularly ever again."

Agreed.
struggle-list.
and I don't know anything about the fakkit freestyle yall talkin about.

the fact that youre listing "solid albums" says it all.
I remember when stuff you rank as solid albums, wouldn't even get mentioned.
and some of this stuff is just weak. not solid. but that's besides the point.
Not gonna link that stupid freestyle but it's on the page I first replied on. If you guys just want to sit and call newer albums trash, struggle etc. then there is really no discussion to be had. And no, the albums I've deemed solid get play on my end, because to me, solid means it has replayability. But if you're not starting threads on good, new music, and you're attacking any and all new music being put out with these blanket statements, then why are y'all even in the booth?
:heh:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
The Def Jux cats like Sage Francis and Asop Rock
:picard:
Can't fukk with any of them
Rawkus artists like Pharoah, Mos, and Talib
:ehh:
Mos was an animal, but I wouldn't say he took it to the next level.
Pharoah was out way before 96, but you know that and I guess you're arguing he ramped up with Equinox and Internal Affairs?
Talib was dope too :ehh:
Also independent artists like Homeboy Sandman.
Heard a little from him. Nothing that would make me put him in this conversation.
Admittedly I haven't heard much :yeshrug:

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Not gonna link that stupid freestyle but it's on the page I first replied on. If you guys just want to sit and call newer albums trash, struggle etc. then there is really no discussion to be had. And no, the albums I've deemed solid get play on my end, because to me, solid means it has replayability. But if you're not starting threads on good, new music, and you're attacking any and all new music being put out with these blanket statements, then why are y'all even in the booth?
:heh:

Because we're hip hop fans hoping to hear something good and talk about the genre we love :russell:

This "only be in the forum/thread to show love and nothing else" is getting tired as fukk.

The funny thing is that the tracks I liked in 2017 are better than anything on those albums you listed. You will of course disagree but that's the point isn't it - nothing being made now is strong enough to transcend its core base. Everyone's pandering. And most people have no idea what's actually interesting, fresh and innovative. They'd rather stick to the same ol tiring formula they're used to. At least the shyt I like was actually played and enjoyed by hip hop fans.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
:picard:
Can't fukk with any of them

Mos was an animal, but I wouldn't say he took it to the next level.
Pharoah was out way before 96, but you know that and I guess you're arguing he ramped up with Equinox and Internal Affairs?
Talib was dope too :ehh:

Heard a little from him. Nothing that would make me put him in this conversation.
Admittedly I haven't heard much :yeshrug:

I don’t fukk with all of their music either, but they did some incredible shyt with their pens.

Gotta add cats like Elzhi, Royce, Crooked, and Gift of Gab to the convo as well

Tigron

Superstar
Daps
Because we're hip hop fans hoping to hear something good and talk about the genre we love :russell:

This "only be in the forum/thread to show love and nothing else" is getting tired as fukk.

The funny thing is that the tracks I liked in 2017 are better than anything on those albums you listed. You will of course disagree but that's the point isn't it - nothing being made now is strong enough to transcend its core base. Everyone's pandering. And most people have no idea what's actually interesting, fresh and innovative. They'd rather stick to the same ol tiring formula they're used to. At least the shyt I like was actually played and enjoyed by hip hop fans.

But that's not what you're doing. You love the genre? Post some good shyt about the genre. Or at least come through with good criticism. Saying 'everything sucks' is disingenuous nonsense. It's lesser known artists out there doin their thing, and not getting the shine they deserve. Instead of poppin up with some underground heat, I just see a bunch of 'back in the good old days' posts, and those are disingenuous as well. There were some bad artists who got plenty of burn in every era. Feel free to drop the list of individual songs that are 'so much better.' Even though judging by the responses to my initial post, a lot of people are pretending not to know what etc. means. If that's you in that vid, no disrespect but I don't click random YT videos.

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
One thing us older cats gotta realize is it ain't no point in trying to relate to 18- 25 yr olds.....so of course the shyt is dumb to us cause we in another place or at least we should be. 1998 and before is over and ain't coming back....so I just learned to fall back on the classics from my era and I check for those guys from then...but to me most if them are releasing trash too because they are 40+....Scarface who is my fav even recently dropped a dud with too much damn singing on every song damn near ....hip hop is for younger people at its core so we just gotta deal with it for better or for worse.

Daps
Reppin
St louis
this generation hates the truth.
this bullshyt ya'll bumping is nothing
but degenerate junkie music.

wat6rr.jpg

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
But that's not what you're doing. You love the genre? Post some good shyt about the genre. Or at least come through with good criticism. Saying 'everything sucks' is disingenuous nonsense. It's lesser known artists out there doin their thing, and not getting the shine they deserve. Instead of poppin up with some underground heat, I just see a bunch of 'back in the good old days' posts, and those are disingenuous as well. There were some bad artists who got plenty of burn in every era. Feel free to drop the list of individual songs that are 'so much better.' Even though judging by the responses to my initial post, a lot of people are pretending not to know what etc. means. If that's you in that vid, no disrespect but I don't click random YT videos.

I offered good criticism. I said the beats were trash, the vocals were lame and the rhymes were lame. That's pretty specific.

You say there are incredible hip hop artists not getting shine. Please post names and specific incredible songs. This is your chance to give em some shine.