Eric B. and Rakim tweet: Witnessing devolution of Rap

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Not gonna link that stupid freestyle but it's on the page I first replied on. If you guys just want to sit and call newer albums trash, struggle etc. then there is really no discussion to be had. And no, the albums I've deemed solid get play on my end, because to me, solid means it has replayability. But if you're not starting threads on good, new music, and you're attacking any and all new music being put out with these blanket statements, then why are y'all even in the booth?
:heh:

you wasted your time typing all that, seeing how my alter-ego makes threads on new artists all the time.

and like I said, if your year-end list is made up of a bunch of music that's just solid(imo below-solid), then its a weak year bro.

your bar is prolly on low because you maybe never experienced a great year first-hand.

You wanna talk about what's :russell:?

The same fukking 'music is declining, what happened to yesterday' ass threads that get posted in the booth every other day.

says the guy gassing up jay-z & wutang in 2017-18.

besides, the topics in here are moreso a testament to how weak the current scene is, at least in terms of whos ON.

Last edited:

Maximus Rex

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Evils of Men
they should put out new music then and save rap

oh wait they only people still checking for their music is ripping albums off bearshare to their 20GB iPod

sad :mjlol:

also post and delete :scust:

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
I wouldn't say it's completely dead, maybe mainstream wise. The youth don't care as much. That's a fact. There's still a lot of older artists that are still sticking to their guns on what the music is supposed to sound like. You even got some younger artists making their own wave off of older rappers they used to listen to as well. you just got to look for what you like.

Tigron

Superstar
Daps
I offered good criticism. I said the beats were trash, the vocals were lame and the rhymes were lame. That's pretty specific.

You say there are incredible hip hop artists not getting shine. Please post names and specific incredible songs. This is your chance to give em some shine.
You truly believe, 'X is trash, Y is lame' is good criticism? I have no words. I gave you Rapsody, who is on 9th's label, along with a bunch of underground artists; this is the age of google, good music is a couple keys away.
you wasted your time typing all that, seeing how my alter-ego makes threads on new artists all the time.

and like I said, if your year-end list is made up of a bunch of music that's just solid(imo below-solid), then its a weak year bro.

your bar is prolly on low because you maybe never experienced a great year first-hand.
Alright Clark Kent, if you were contributing more as one individual rather than an alter ego, maybe some better quality threads would be at the top. I gave some albums as examples. Do y'all really not know what etc. means? Or do you need it to be a short list you can dismiss to prove a non-existent point? There is very little shared between the albums I've listed as far as:
Lyricism level
Flow
Beat
Vocals
Sound
And somehow they're ALL 'below solid?' Do better y'all.
And I'm not Sugar Hill Gang old, but trust me when I say I didn't miss any year you'd consider 'great.'

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
One thing us older cats gotta realize is it ain't no point in trying to relate to 18- 25 yr olds.....so of course the shyt is dumb to us cause we in another place or at least we should be. 1998 and before is over and ain't coming back....so I just learned to fall back on the classics from my era and I check for those guys from then...but to me most if them are releasing trash too because they are 40+....Scarface who is my fav even recently dropped a dud with too much damn singing on every song damn near ....hip hop is for younger people at its core so we just gotta deal with it for better or for worse.
Is this accurate tho?
25 to 40 year olds literaly filled the crowd at Pac shows and consumed 16 to 30 dollar CDs, those weren't just 15 to 25 year olds.

The age thing is a cop out imo

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Is this accurate tho?
25 to 40 year olds literaly filled the crowd at Pac shows and consumed 16 to 30 dollar CDs, those weren't just 15 to 25 year olds.

The age thing is a cop out imo
Its just my take but it ain't no damn cop out to say that as a 40 yr old man I don't relate to mumbling 20 yr olds and the content in the songs ...Do U really think most 40 yr olds are really into today's music tho? Especially considering the rappers from our era 20-30 yrs ago are some of the all-time greats of the genre....I don't hate on the new generation I just don't check for them like that....I'm not afraid to grow up ...therefore being bombarded about the "Trap" doesn't appeal to me these days plus a lot of ol school was also played in ppl my age house ...so I feel like we can appreciate other music just as much if not more than hip hop.....but like I said it's my opinion and how I feel

Last edited:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Its just my take but it ain't no damn cop out to say that as a 40 yr old man I don't relate to mumbling 20 yr olds and the content in the songs ...Do U really think most 40 yr olds are really into today's music tho? Especially considering the rappers from our era 20-30 yrs ago are some of the all-time greats of the genre....I don't hate on the new generation I just don't check for them like that....I'm not afraid to grow up ...therefore being bombarded about the "Trap" doesn't appeal to me these days plus a lot of ol school was also played in ppl my age house ...so I feel like we can appreciate other music just as much if not more than hip hop.....but like I said it's my opinion and how I feel
Nah I meant cop out for the artist. The artist should be able to make relatable or at least tolerable music that even 25 to 45 can get into, like Biggie and Pac did.

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
You truly believe, 'X is trash, Y is lame' is good criticism?

White Jesus Christ, breh. What else do you want me to say? :dahell: Do you really want me to go into depth as to why those beats/vocals/rhymes are lame? :snoop: Seriously... it's like you're trying hard to avoid the obvious.

I like beats that bang with interesting, hypnotic melodies. None of those albums have the top 5 beats of the year by any stretch.

What I find super funny is that you're saying how I'm only in The Booth to hate yet I actually took the time to record myself talking about my favorite hip hop records of 2017 (which you didn't even bother to check, as expected from a lazy poster). Anyone who's in The Booth knows I'm by far one of the top passionate hip hop fans here (if not the most passionate, and there are receipts for this everywhere with stalkers attached).

I have no words. I gave you Rapsody, who is on 9th's label, along with a bunch of underground artists; this is the age of google, good music is a couple keys away.

Rapsody is fukkin trash. Y'all like these lame platitude-spitting rappers but their dull beats and dull vocals can't save them.

And it's hilarious how you're talking about great underground artists not getting shine yet here you are NOT giving them shine. You can't make this shyt up :laff:

At the end of the day, you don't even care if they get shine or not. You're not mentioning them because you're too shook to rep them for fear of being dissed. If that aint some sad shyt, I don't know what is. Call new artists great but have no backbone to provide specifics, brehs :mjlol:

Good music is a couple keys away to people who celebrate mediocrity.