Elliot Wilson doesn’t think Donald Glover is Hip Hop culture

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Would he say Tyler isn't hiphop? Because they about the same to me and nobody questions if he's hiphop. He just propped BTI and that's clearly hiphop. Everything prior to Awaken My Love are rap albums.
good comparison. but aesthetically they look the same.. but Tyler a dawg on the mic:dame:

They in two different leagues of zesty rappers

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But this makes no sense :russ:
All of his early music is weird rap mixtapes though :dead:

He didn't make a "rock" album until way way after he achieved mainstream success with rap and r&b music?

Did you just hear about him in 2016? :what:

Even if you said "he wanted to be a dj" or some shyt I'd agree as he made a couple of instrumental/chop loop tapes around the same time.

He literally has two mixtapes called I AM JUST A RAPPER :russ:

Breh.

Please try this with someone else man.

Childish Gambino as an act was meant to be a breakdown of the Gangster rapper.
The ANTI-THESIS of what Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) sees as BLACK MASCULINITY.

This interview is from 2012
Childish Gambino - The Guardian Interview

From the man's mouth:
The Guardian Interview said:
But last night, Glover appeared before a crowd of 2,500 as Childish Gambino, a rap alter-ego that allows him to write the sort of brutally sharp lines about race, class, gender and sexuality that would never make it into a mainstream TV show. Glover calls it Black Rock.

......"I'm influenced by LCD Soundsystem as much as Ghostface K[illah," he says. "A lot of the rap shows I saw as a kid were boring, but if you went to a Rage show or a Justice show, the kids were losing their minds.

The Guardian Interview said:
Black men struggle with masculinity so much. The idea that we must always be strong really presses us all down – it keeps us from growing. Black culture is a fight. We want to hold on to what we are, but sometimes the things that we are can be totally negative.

The problem is, it wasn't original when he tried it and still it isn't original in 2024.
De La Soul did it in the 90s.

Donald Glover preys on people's ignorance not just to Hip-Hop as a genre but his own VERY PUBLIC history.

There are other interviews and they can be found pretty easily.

Last edited:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Childish Gambino (Donald Glover's)
Hip-Hop card has been up for grabs since he decided to get his rap name from a fukking name generator.

We not about to let this clown rehab his image and suddenly gain legitimate musical clout and compare himself to his betters.

And truthfully, frankly, fukk your opinion if you were losing your shyt over "Camp" and "Because the internet" when his peers were dropping shyt like
Good Kid Madd City or To Pimp A Butterfly or 2014 Forest Hills Drive or For Your Eyez Only Or WOLF or Flower Boy etc.

Bro gets that "Black nerd" stimulus and is seen as special by people who only listen to Linkin Park and MidWest Emo.

:pachaha:

I'm sorry, that shyt don't fly here, this is a Hip-Hop messageboard.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
Hip-Hop card has been up for grabs since he decided to get his rap name from a fukking name generator.

We not about to let this clown rehab his image and suddenly gain legitimate musical clout and compare himself to his betters.

And truthfully, frankly, fukk your opinion if you were losing your shyt over "Camp" and "Because the internet" when his peers were dropping shyt like
Good Kid Madd City or To Pimp A Butterfly or 2014 Forest Hills Drive or For Your Eyez Only Or WOLF or Flower Boy etc.

Bro gets that "Black nerd" stimulus and is seen as special by people who only listen to Linkin Park and MidWest Emo.

Damn you can’t like all types of rap I thought all the bolded projects were dope

Theodoresolderbreh

No Shorts No Malarkey
Daps
Reppin
Theodore breh and associates

My brother in Christ all those albums are dope besides camp. Including his dj drama mixtape right after that.

So respectfully that Opinion that he doesn't deserve legitimate musical clot, black nerd culture, Linkin park and Midwest emo's can all :camby: respectfully