Elliot Wilson doesn’t think Donald Glover is Hip Hop culture

JarrodG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Gambino is HipHop just not in the traditional meaning. Drake on the other hand is not imo

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
Hip hop is a spectrum. Digital underground said it best all around the world the same song.

But I hate when people grasp on to random things to make themselves more hip hop than others like just because you from NY it shouldn’t give you more power. Another example is asking someone to rap and they start rapping fast lol.

Ya Sinning Mane

Superstar
Daps
:patrice:
My dude, where were you in 2018 when "This is America" was one of the biggest hip hop songs that year? Like how did that song not come across your radar? And that song and video dropped on the heels of Atlanta being one of the hottest tv shows.
I like fun music like what they call mumble rappers back then

Now I can’t stomach mumble rap
Funny how time and maturity happens

DOSDUMUNI

Pass N' Fly Records
Daps
I think the show Atlanta (and I only watched a few eps of S1)

Him shouting out Bad N Boujee at (the Grammys?)

And his musical output

Are fair points to consider him a member of hip-hop culture. Didnt watch the clip in the OP but I dont think itd change my opinion.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Donald Glover is "Black by Default".
IF he were some middle of the road white celebrity.
He would've gone down the lane he originally wanted too.
Which was rock music.

But this makes no sense :russ:
All of his early music is weird rap mixtapes though :dead:

He didn't make a "rock" album until way way after he achieved mainstream success with rap and r&b music?

Did you just hear about him in 2016? :what:

Even if you said "he wanted to be a dj" or some shyt I'd agree as he made a couple of instrumental/chop loop tapes around the same time.

He literally has two mixtapes called I AM JUST A RAPPER :russ:

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
I don't fukk with Childish Gambino but this is such a weird statement, from a guy who constantly makes weird statements. Hip hop has different facets. Gambino can rap...he also does other shyt. And given that white people have decided black artists have to be put in specific boxes (SZA can't be pop, Beyonce can't be country, etc) it's weird hearing a black person use the same framework in reverse to kick Gambino OUT of a box.
Might be weird but not surprising. Black men have been put in a narrow ass box and is one of the reasons I think many young brehs struggle overall. That shyt is for the birds and a main reason why brehs crash out at alarming rate.. They can have it.. :francis:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
1). Black Americans cannot “Cosplay” a genre of music we INVENTED. If you are black and American, Hip Hop is a part of you whether it plays a significant role in your life or not. Donald Glover grew up in Stone Mountain, Ga and was immersed in rap music/culture from an early age despite being the son of strict Jehovah Witness parents and also being a bit of a theater kid. He’s literally been rapping since he was 17 years old.

2). Donald Glover has EIGHT mixtapes, an EP, 2 albums, and a Gangsta Grills tape of him rapping. If thats not Hip Hop then neither is the discography of Tyler The Creator, who everyone dikkrides, or Drake, who can’t even WRITE a rap lyric to save his life.

3). F U C K Elliot Wilson.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Atlanta >>>>> whatever this weirdo talking about.

Drake is hip hop to him though :mjlol:

I think both of them are hip hop btw but a Drake stan w this take is wild :dead:
He been fell out with Drake . He now acts like a scorned ex mad that Drake won’t do more interviews with him .