Elliot Wilson doesn’t think Donald Glover is Hip Hop culture

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Donald Glover is "Black by Default".
IF he were some middle of the road white celebrity.
He would've gone down the lane he originally wanted too.
Which was rock music.

He's not unique or special in deciding to "go outside of the traditional lanes of Hip-Hop".
SO many black musicians have done that and several don't even have the acknowledgement to show for it.

Guys like Flying Lotus, Thundercat, Taylor Mcferrin, Yussef Dayes and many others regularly
flirt with Hip-Hop and/or blend it with several styles and do so at a much higher level than Donald Glover.
They just don't have the fame nor star power to get their works in front of a much larger audience.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
This just gon turn Donald c00nin and jivin up a thou lol get that nikka heated

Ya know he was one of em nikkas who aint chill wit the brothas in high school. nikka was probably coolin wit the asians and cacs :russ:

This here.

EW gets annoying at times. But I've said on here mad times that Gambino is basically cosplaying all day. I think he's just an artist. But I never saw dude as Hip Hop either. Raven Symone was rapping too. That doesn't mean she's Hip Hop, lol.

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
So the old ass koon with the literal flat top that spends all his time trying to be a social media influencer gets to make that call? :camby:

Nothing good has EVER come from anybody named Elliot :mjlol:

Telegraph Ave >>>> Elliot's entire 80 years on this planet (he could live to be 160 and this would still be a true statement) :russell:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Not going to try and revoke some kinda pass but I never viewed him as being Hip Hop like that.

He just seemed like an artist that utilized the artform of rap. Country artists use rap in their music…so they may even be rappers. But how steeped in the culture are they really just because they rhyme occasionally?

So I see why he’s perceived that way though it may not apply 100%

Last edited:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While we're talking about R&B, Anderson .Paak is really out here dropping
back to back works with all kinds of great mixing, mastering, song writing and concepts.
And he was Soul/Hip-Hop/R&B from the jump, no disparaging needed.

Bro has grinded hard as fukk out here in the indie scene too, same one I'm currently in.
Probably a perfect example of "keeping it real" but still pursuing musical excellence.

Last edited:

KnickstapeCity

:mjpls:
Daps
Reppin
New York
It's funny because I'm pretty sure he veered into different lanes outside of traditional HipHop because he's versatile enough to do so, and because of takes like this about him.

Why continue to make music in a genre that feels a way about you?

He's won Grammy's for R&B and alternative records, and this is an example of why he does his own shyt.
Versatile like a fakkit