EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Maybe it wouldn't mean as much now, but they should get together and revise this list. There's been plenty of classic albums in the last 16 years that would bump some others off the list. I'd also be in for the fukkery that would ensue if they put the albums in order.

If they revise it, it should be the top 150 albums. They shouldn't take any of these off the list to make room for others. The Source Top 100 is actually referenced by a lot of mainstream publications cause of it's credibility amongst Rap fans and Historians.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
True. They were on Bigs dikk so much

They had to give "LAD" 5 cause they sh!tted on "RTD" by taking .5 mics away cause of the "5 Mic" rule by not giving 5 MICS to two albums. They owed Biggie those mics. But it worked out for them cause "LAD" ended up being Classic anyway. It's funny some people did write in complaining that Biggie only got 5 MICS cause he died, lol.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
They had to give "LAD" 5 cause they sh!tted on "RTD" by taking .5 mics away cause of the "5 Mic" rule by not giving 5 MICS to two albums. They owed Biggie those mics. But it worked out for them cause "LAD" ended up being Classic anyway.
Has anyone actually gone on record about RTD not getting 5 b/c of Illmatic?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
im peepin game.

notice how they spelled 2pac as "Tupac". that way they didnt have to put his name at the top of the list for everybody to clearly see that they only gave em 1 joint.

f*ck these magazines man.

and im not giving anybody props for an alphabetical order list. any joe schmoe whose been around long enough could put together a credible enough list using that method.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Has anyone actually gone on record about RTD not getting 5 b/c of Illmatic?

Yep. Miss Info did during the Ready To Die 20th Anniversary, she said it was her biggest mistake and she said others in the magazine felt it was a huge error in history when Biggie died. I think that's why LAD was going to get 5 MICS no question cause they knew they messed up on "READY TO DIE". It's like when Denzel got an Oscar for Trainning day. Yes he killed it but you knew it was an "I'm sorry Oscar". Big's 5 MICS was an apology but again it's not like LAD wasn't Classic, that's why I said it worked out for them anyway. They revised "Ready To Die" to 5 MICS.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
If they revise it, it should be the top 150 albums. They shouldn't take any of these off the list to make room for others. The Source Top 100 is actually referenced by a lot of mainstream publications cause of it's credibility amongst Rap fans and Historians.
Nah - I think they should do a top 100 list every 5 years (but they should also simultaneously publish the prior top 100 lists - would be an ill history lesson for younger cats)
im peepin game.

notice how they spelled 2pac as "Tupac". that way they didnt have to put his name at the top of the list for everybody to clearly see that they only gave em 1 joint.

f*ck these magazines man.

and im not giving anybody props for an alphabetical order list. any joe schmoe whose been around long enough could put together a credible enough list using that method.
The list was in alphabetical order. I don't remember if they called him 2pac or Tupac - I just cut and pasted something I found online. I don't think there was any intent to hide it though. I don't remember it being particularly controversial at the time either.
And an alphabetical list is better than no list.
Have you done a top 100 albums list? You should.
I don't know if anybody said it directly but I do remember the Source being real stingy with the mics. There were so many classics that dropped between Illmatic and Cuban Linx
They were stingy from 92-Illmatic too.
nowhere.

it wasnt held in high-regard in the '90s.

its better than some of the chit on the list tho. i can say that much.
Like what?
You said in an earlier post that they had the wrong albums for some people - who?
Some of the albums they selected instead of IWW is crazy.
Like what?
Yep. Miss Info did during the Ready To Die 20th Anniversary, she said it was her biggest mistake and she said others in the magazine felt it was a huge error in history when Biggie died. I think that's why LAD was going to get 5 MICS no question cause they knew they messed up on "READY TO DIE". It's like when Denzel got an Oscar for Trainning day. Yes he killed it but you knew it was an "I'm sorry Oscar". Big's 5 MICS was an apology but again it's not like LAD wasn't Classic, that's why I said it worked out for them anyway. They revised "Ready To Die" to 5 MICS.
She needs to stop acting like she unilaterally decided the mics.
IMO RTD deserved 4 1/2. 5 mic albums you should be able to listen to all the way thru but there have always been a couple tracks I skipped on RTD
Naah - its a 5.
East 1999 Eternal would be included easily
they gave it 3.5 mics though. said you couldn't understand the lyrics.