EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Nah - I think they should do a top 100 list every 5 years (but they should also simultaneously publish the prior top 100 lists - would be an ill history lesson for younger cats)

The list was in alphabetical order. I don't remember if they called him 2pac or Tupac - I just cut and pasted something I found online. I don't think there was any intent to hide it though. I don't remember it being particularly controversial at the time either.
And an alphabetical list is better than no list.
Have you done a top 100 albums list? You should.

They were stingy from 92-Illmatic too.

Like what?
You said in an earlier post that they had the wrong albums for some people - who?

Like what?

She needs to stop acting like she unilaterally decided the mics.

Naah - its a 5.

they gave it 3.5 mics though. said you couldn't understand the lyrics.

:umad:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
What's crazy is once you actually sat and (after rewinding it a few times lol) listened to the lyrics, they were dropping gems.
That's actually exactly what they said - the lyrics were actually very complicated and good - but you probably won't catch them all b/c of the style/delivery.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Actually it didn't. "Ain't No nikka" was a b-side of "Dead Presidents", it went Gold. They did press up a solo "Ain't no N!gga" single, I had that two but it didn't move units like the "Dead Presidents" single did. Yes Jay had a certified plaque before NaS did so that's true. But NaS did go Platinum 1st. NaS's 1st certified plaque was the "Street Dreams" single.

220px-Jay-ZAintNoPlaya.jpg

(Ain't No N!gga was released After it was featured on the "Nutty Professor Soundtrack" and "Dead Presidents" Single but it was never certified as a single).

220px-Jay-ZDeadPresidents.jpg

(The original Dead Presidents single had "Ain't no N!gga" which helped it to give Jay Z his 1st certified Plaque)
Actually isn't Nas' first plaque, the Gold he got from Illmatic in January of '96?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Well I'd argue "YO!" was more impactful for it being on MTV and reaching a wider audience but "Rap City" is Legendary, no doubt. I loved them both. All I know is these young bucks got it so easy now. I had to come home from school in the afternoon and record Rap City and Yo MTV Raps on VHS just to see my favorite videos over and over again. Mind you had to fast forward and rewind tapes. Kids today get to see their favs with one click. But I acutally think Youtube is better for My generation cause we get to go back and see a lot of videos from the 90's that we didn't have if we didn't record them. One night I was on youtube for 3 hours no lie just watching old 90's videos, I could of done it all night. lol.

nah. youtube is terrible for the new generation. it just enables them to stay stuck in their own little worlds. its not breaking any new acts unless its some gimmick chit. thats why the vast majority of videos with the most viewership are the joints that are already being shoved down the public's throats via tv & radio.

imagine if we had youtube instead of rap city? we probably wouldnt even be aware of half of the artists that we liked. they'd just have videos with 15k views at best. prolly some stuck in the hundreds.

and i still watch my vhs tapes. wouldnt have it any other way. and imagine how much trouble you avoided? i can think of instances where i went home for a lil bit to watch rap city while the homies ended up getting into some chit at the exact same time. youtube aint saving nobody from nothing.

but yea, i agree with you about youtube being great for us. but not the kids.

East 1999 Eternal would be included easily

theyd prolly just do some slick chit like have it replace creepin.

:beli:

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
No grodt and they have Illmatic,,:mjlol::scust: shyt list​

:what:

Like what?
You said in an earlier post that they had the wrong albums for some people - who?

i have a top 40-50. with the next 25 completely out of order.
its in progress. i still have alot of top 100 contestants that i never listened to tho.

kool g rap & dj polo shouldve had "live & let die" up there if they were only gonna give them one slot.
spcm is outkast's best album. atliens isnt even top 100 material to me.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
:what:

i have a top 40-50. with the next 25 completely out of order.
its in progress. i still have alot of top 100 contestants that i never listened to tho.

kool g rap & dj polo shouldve had "live & let die" up there if they were only gonna give them one slot.
spcm is outkast's best album. atliens isnt even top 100 material to me.
Road to the Riches though :wow:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
E. 1999 was only 3 years old in 98. Yes to me it was an Instant Classic but during that time Bone wasn't as respected as they are now. I think the Source was sleeping on E.1999. Remember this is why the Mic Rating system was so respected. They were HARD on albums, they didn't give anything 5 MICS.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Actually isn't Nas' first plaque, the Gold he got from Illmatic in January of '96?

Yes, Daps, Reps. "Street Dreams" was NaS's 1st GOLD Single which I always thought was funny that "Street Dreams" did better than "If I ruled the world". But yes though it was a slow crawl, "ILLmatic" went Gold in Jan of 96, 5 months before "It Was Written" dropped. Talking about NaS and Jigga early years puts into context how Big Biggie was. He was going Gold, Platinum off singles and Muti off albums when both of them just couldn't sell.