EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

MIAlien

#FactsOnly
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wade County
Maybe it wouldn't mean as much now, but they should get together and revise this list. There's been plenty of classic albums in the last 16 years that would bump some others off the list. I'd also be in for the fukkery that would ensue if they put the albums in order.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Yes cause in 98 Jigga blew up thus "Reasonable Doubt" significance grew.

i keep telling yall reasonable doubt was always significant.

this list came out in january breh. jay didnt go onto superstardom until september.

Naw breh from 2001-2007 xxl was da goat.. It's mainstream bullshyt now.. But it had a great run.. I remember I bought that source wit da double rocafella covers in like 02 n nikkas dead ass :what::comeon::stopitslime::lolbron::mjlol::ufdup::bryan::dahell::shaq2: Ran home from da barbershop mad af.. Started stealing every xxl after dat

over-use of smilies.

and i hate to break the news to you but xxl was the biggest sellout piece of chit in hip-hop history. they took cooonery to unimaginable levels, and continued their ridiculousness all the way to their well-deserved death bed.

and you do realize that rocafella was one of the hottest labels ever during that time, right?

meanwhile, xxl turned into a monthly fan mag for corny ass shady/aftermath.

x2y

SOHH Stupid
Supporter
Daps
It's a fairly good list IMO. I can't say anything about the Schooly D and Doug E Fresh albums though. I would probably slide a couple of albums not on that list and remove those.

Figdcotton

Why are you mad at a real niguh??
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles.. Figside
I'd say XXL's run was more like 2001-2005 before people felt the politics started creeping in. The Source still had pretty consistency registration numbers even when they fell off. Again XXL did takeover The Source's lane but they did not at ANY POINT have the Dominance that the Source did at their peak. Nobody ever called XXL, "The Hip Hop Bible'. Even artist would get salty if The Source didn't give them props. Biggie was pissed at them for not giving him the Rhyme of the month one time.

Naw I say like 07.. And it's a unfair comparison because the source was the only true mainstream hip hop mag for a while.. It's like comparing yo MTV raps to the basement.. It's a good debate but hard to overthrow the nikka who started dis shyt.. But when xxl came with the worst rhyme insert :blessed: if they started the freshman class list 2-3 years earlier they run would of been longer.. nikkas started gettin tight bout dat list skipping em I.e vado :jawalrus:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
alot of these albums, ive never heard.

but out of the albums i heard, i can say that these albums shouldve been listed over alot of joints they had up there.

its a travesty that these werent included:
bone - e.99 eternal
makaveli - kiluminati
fat boys - fat boys

also i would include:
master p - ice cream man
i'll give them a pass for ghetto d, since it was literally just coming out at the time.

theres others i would include. just off the top of my head:
az - doe or die
cnn - war report(too early i guess)
dogg pound - dogg food
ghostface - ironman
im sure theres more.

then theres artist that they had up there once but mentioned the wrong album.

It's a fairly good list IMO. I can't say anything about the Schooly D and Doug E Fresh albums though. I would probably slide a couple of albums not on that list and remove those.

so you would remove albums just because you never heard them?

how ignorant is that? especially seeing that you can probably listen to them RIGHT NOW.

Maybe it wouldn't mean as much now, but they should get together and revise this list. There's been plenty of classic albums in the last 16 years that would bump some others off the list. I'd also be in for the fukkery that would ensue if they put the albums in order.

no theres not.

i'd be hard-pressed to come up with 10 legit classic albums from the past 16 years.

what they need to do is go back and revise the ommissions. then, see if they can fit the lil bit of newer classics in there.

Last edited:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Sorry guys, "It Was Written" and "Hell On Earth" didn't make the list cause in 98 they were not considered Classics. The Top 100 is about Classic albums only. As for the list it's the most credible Top 100 Hip Hop List on the books. Better than any list Rolling Stone or complex or any of these other magazines have done as far as Hip Hop. 98-99 was like the last great years for The Source before it went to hell.

I know what you mean. The Source really used to be the source. They let you know when albums were supposed to drop which was huge back then. Plus the Unsigned Hype and Quotable. I used to have a subscription in high school. This was the one with LL on the cover right? I do find it funny how they have Life After Death on there though which came out in 97. It Was Written and Hell on Earth both came out in 96. I personally think both albums were better but you could already see that East Coast Biggie bias coming thru.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Naw I say like 07.. And it's a unfair comparison because the source was the only true mainstream hip hop mag for a while.. It's like comparing yo MTV raps to the basement.. It's a good debate but hard to overthrow the nikka who started dis shyt.. But when xxl came with the worst rhyme insert :blessed: if they started the freshman class list 2-3 years earlier they run would of been longer.. nikkas started gettin tight bout dat list skipping em I.e vado :jawalrus:

i dont mean to keep quoting you but :what:

the source wasnt the only mainstream hip-hop mag for long. there were plenty of alternatives.

rap city >>> yo! mtv raps

stop proppin up xxl breh. youre looking like a cornball brother.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

the source wasnt the only mainstream hip-hop mag for long. there were plenty of alternatives.

Well I'd argue "YO!" was more impactful for it being on MTV and reaching a wider audience but "Rap City" is Legendary, no doubt. I loved them both. All I know is these young bucks got it so easy now. I had to come home from school in the afternoon and record Rap City and Yo MTV Raps on VHS just to see my favorite videos over and over again. Mind you had to fast forward and rewind tapes. Kids today get to see their favs with one click. But I acutally think Youtube is better for My generation cause we get to go back and see a lot of videos from the 90's that we didn't have if we didn't record them. One night I was on youtube for 3 hours no lie just watching old 90's videos, I could of done it all night. lol.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I know what you mean. The Source really used to be the source. They let you know when albums were supposed to drop which was huge back then. Plus the Unsigned Hype and Quotable. I used to have a subscription in high school. This was the one with LL on the cover right? I do find it funny how they have Life After Death on there though which came out in 97. It Was Written and Hell on Earth both came out in 96. I personally think both albums were better but you could already see that East Coast Biggie bias coming thru.
They gave LAD 5 mics though...they're hands were tied.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I agree, a little east bias with the Source and they were wrong for hating on Westcoast albums. They were a Legendary magazine but they did a lot of Westcoast albums Dirty. I think both "The Chronic" and "Doggystyle" got 4 MICS.
A lot of West Coast albums on that list though...
Above the Law
Digital Underground
Too Short
Spice One
Pharcyde
Souls

And Chronic got 4.5 during the period where nobody got 5.

Figdcotton

Why are you mad at a real niguh??
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles.. Figside

Cornball brother?? :umad: It's only so long these fukkin cac's can pretend.. fukk outta here cac :camby:

baracka zulu

I don't pop molly, but I'll fuk Rob Ford (nh)
Daps
Reppin
West Philly (215)
They fukked themselves & their retarded ass list up the ass by including an album from that cocksucking piece of sand dune dwelling shyt they call Camel.

:camby: