Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
No Ghostface - Ironman?
No Nas - It Was Written?
No AZ - Doe or Die?

:wtb:

"It Was Written" just wasn't considered Classic then guys, You have to look at the time period, January of 1998. I remember it vividly also NaS again was getting backlash from the Firm album. People just didn't view "Jiggy-NaS" as dope, I didn't agree with that but I remember the debates with friends saying he fell off. What's funny is "NaStradamus" is the album credited with NaS falling off but technically people felt he fell off with I.W.W., The Firm and I am too. Ghostface "Iron man" is a Classic now yes but in 98 it was just a solid Wu album. "Do or Die" people thought was fire, maybe even 4-4.5 MICS but it wasn't considered a Classic. You guys have to remember the standard for Classic Rap albums was VERY high in the 80's and 90's.

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
"It Was Written" just wasn't considered Classic then guys, You have to look at the time period, January of 1998. I remember it vividly also NaS again was getting backlash from the Firm album. People just didn't view "Jiggy-NaS" as dope, I didn't agree with that but I remember the debates with friends saying he fell off. What's funny is "NaStradamus" is the album credited with NaS falling off but technically people felt he fell off with I.W.W., The Firm and I am too. Ghostface "Iron man" is a Classic now yes but in 98 it was just a solid Wu album. "Do or Die" people thought was fire, maybe even 4-4.5 MICS but it wasn't considered a Classic. You guys have to remember the standard for Classic Rap albums was VERY high in the 80's and 90's.
I'll dap you, but I dont agree......esp about the Ghostface shyt....:leostare:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I'll dap you, but I dont agree......esp about the Ghostface shyt....:leostare:

Look I'm not saying I don't view those albums as Classics cause I do but I'm talking about the time period. I was a senior in High School during that time and remember the debates well. At that point Ghostface album wasn't more popular than Rae's, Gza Ol' D B or Meth's album but it was considered dope. I think the Source gave it 4 MICS at the time. It wasn't until "Supreme Clientle" that people were finally came around like "Damn Ghost really do got 2 Classic ya'll"

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Look I'm not saying I don't view those albums as Classics cause I do but I'm talking about the time period. I was a senior in High School during that time and remember the debates well. At that point Ghostface album wasn't more popular than Rae's, Gza Ol' D B or Meth's album but it was considered dope. I think the Source gave it 4 MICS at the time. It wasn't until "Supreme Clientle" that people were finally came around like "Damn Ghost really do got 2 Classic ya'll"
I am biased bc Nas and Ghost BEEN my fav 2 MCs forever....when they dropped I was just done graduating senior year (Nas) and into freshman year in college (Ghost) and them shyts were fire --- Ironman my 2nd fav Wu solo after OB4CL so :manny:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
RD was already classic by the source in 98? :mjpls:

When it comes to The Source

Good east coast album>>>>Great west coast album

Not hating on RD, I think that's Jay's best album, but at the time, a west coast album like Dogg Food was getting more play.

Dogg Food couldn't make the list, though:mjpls:

And the novelty of Life After Death being listed after being out for only 1 year, but no All Eyez On Me?
beltreisawesome.gif

That east coast bias is a muthafukka

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Tribe, Eric B. and Rakim, LL and EPMD with 3 albums each :wow:

edit..missed PE

Last edited:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

Not hating on RD, I think that's Jay's best album, but at the time, a west coast album like Dogg Food was getting more play.

And the novelty of Life After Death being listed after being out for only 1 year, but no All Eyez On Me?
beltreisawesome.gif

I can't even agrue with this.

Chronic 4 Mics? :ufdup::what:

Doggystyle 4 Mics? :scust::snoop:

All Eyes On Me (NO Reviewed) :pacspit:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

beltreisawesome.gif

What about all the West Coast albums that are on the list though?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I like the list cause it puts into context how quality the 90's and 80's was. Notice how the albums people are arguing should of made the list are Better than what's being released today but people didn't view them as Classics. So even the 2nd Teir albums are superior to

I can't even agrue with this.

Chronic 4 Mics? :ufdup::what:

Doggystyle 4 Mics? :scust::snoop:

All Eyes On Me (NO Reviewed) :pacspit:
Chronic got 4.5 and they didn't review albums that weren't submitted to them in advance (AEOM).

dre_chronic.jpg