Due to rising rents, America’s homeless ranks graying as older people retire on streets

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Don't know where you live, but here in Toronto, post covid, the cities within a 2 hour radius shot up in price to as much, or more expensive then Toronto. Since people didn't have ti work in the office anymore and could work from home, the suburbs and small city prices went through the roof.

I live in the USA. I was born in a small southern town. I grew up in Chicago. There is plenty of space in the USA for people to find affordable houses.

The problem is that people are entitled and elitist. They look down on anything that is not a big city and therefore they deem it unsuitable.

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
How is a person living in their car with a funky ass dog in better position than somebody living in a house in a small town? Small town might have not have modern amenities, but that is better than the amenities that she has in that truck with that funky ass dog.

rolling-eyes-eye-roll.gif

I'm not only addressing homegirl and her funky ass dog. I'm addressing why someone wouldn't automatically rush to a small town to try and make it. We're in a situation now where anyone and everyone can get it. It's not that simple.

Either way, an $800 disability check isn't flying anywhere. What will she do for groceries, her income is fixed...in a truck all she got to worry about is gas. There's depressing levels to that shyt breh.

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
I live in the USA. I was born in a small southern town. I grew up in Chicago. There is plenty of space in the USA for people to find affordable houses.

The problem is that people are entitled and elitist. They look down on anything that is not a big city and therefore they deem it unsuitable.

See we have the opposite problem here. Affordable housing is gone. Our housing market for towns outside of Toronto is almost as expensive as housing in Los Angeles. A million dollars won't even get you a house here anymore. The only thing left is condo's which are getting more and more expensive.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not only addressing homegirl and her funky ass dog. I'm addressing why someone wouldn't automatically rush to a small town to try and make it. We're in a situation now where anyone and everyone can get it. It's not that simple.

Either way, an $800 disability check isn't flying anywhere. What will she do for groceries, her income is fixed...in a truck all she got to worry about is gas. There's depressing levels to that shyt breh.

O.K., if she is getting disability then she will probably also be getting food stamps/snap. She might also qualify for medicare if she picks the right state and other governmental programs that they have available for the poor.

What we really need to say is that people don't want to move to no small ass town and be done with it. But can we please stop pretending that there is not affordable housing in this country? Can we at least agree to that?

But on the real tip if she is homeless and living with her damn dog in a cramped ass car is that really better than living in an affordable house in wherethefuggamIat, Mississippi?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
See we have the opposite problem here. Affordable housing is gone. Our housing market for towns outside of Toronto is almost as expensive as housing in Los Angeles. A million dollars won't even get you a house here anymore. The only thing left is condo's which are getting more and more expensive.

See I don't know the issues in Canada so I am not speaking on those, but every American this board whether they are White or Black knows that there are plenty of small ass towns in the USA that has affordable housing. Yeah nobody wants to live in those fugging places, which is true and I concede that; but it can't be worse living in some of those little towns than it is living with a smelly dog in a damn truck.

Yeah small towns suck for a whole lot of reason, but there are affordable houses in those little shytholes.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
How much can a landlord really charge a person to live in places like rural ass Arkansas, Mississippi, etc.? There are literally whole vacant ass small towns all across this country outside of the cities where the prices are more affordable and where the poor afford to live. Yeah I realize that life in a small house or trailer in small town Arkansas, Nebraska, Iowa or Mississippi might suck, but that shyt would be more appealing to me than sleeping in my car on the streets of Phoenix.

There are no real good jobs out there in those isolated states. No good jobs= being trapped with no social mobility. You are essentially stuck, living in 3rd world conditions.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Housing needs to stop being treated as an investment vehicle. It's disgusting

A lot of people dream of keeping other poor people in CRIPPLING poverty by being landlords of their own. :heh:

If You have to build wealth at the expense of everyone else's well being, that's essentially structured theft and ending social mobility.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Small towns have jobs too. It may not be sexy, but it is work. Illegal and legal immigrants literally flock to small towns in the USA and they can find work and homes, but somehow are we saying that American citizens can not?

For what it is worth the story indicated that the lady in the story was receiving some kind of benefits. What is stopping her from looking up the States that have the best social benefits and then relocating to a rural town in that State?

What is keeping her in Phoenix? She is sleeping in truck with a dog, so clearly that ain't it.

What kind of jobs? Being a McDonalds worker? Wal-Mart ? Amazon? :hhh:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There are no real good jobs out there in those isolated states. No good jobs= being trapped with no social mobility. You are essentially stuck, living in 3rd world conditions.

200.gif

Can we please stop this line of thinking? There are literally people living and working in those small towns that are literally from 3rd World Countries. They are making it just fine in those small towns and they don't even speak the language or know the customs of the land, but we are trying to pretend that Americans can not make it in those towns?

Seriously though. I understand it when you guys say that people don't want to live in those damn towns. I get it. My parents are from a small ass town and they hated it, but can we please stop pretending like people can not make it in small towns especially when the lady in the story was living in a damn truck with her dog. Do we really think that her life would be worse in Kansas or Mississippi?

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What kind of jobs? Being a McDonalds worker? Wal-Mart ? Amazon? :hhh:

The lady in the story is on disability and living in her truck with a dog. Getting a job at Wal-Mart, McDonalds or Amazon in Bumfugg, Arkansas, or Stinkweed, Louisana, would be a damn improvement for her.