Due to rising rents, America’s homeless ranks graying as older people retire on streets

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Mane these nikkas know. They just want to talk that shyt and turn their noses up at the thought of living in small towns. We have some elitist ass people in this country that would rather live in a closet in New York than a 3 bedroom house in Holeinthewall County, Kansas.
I doubt the average person let alone a homeless person has the means to up and leave they current situation
And what are the jobs looking like in small towns

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
These stories don't make sense. People don't have to live in cities. They can relocate to smaller cities and rural areas where rent is more affordable. If she drove that big ass truck to a small ass town she might be able to afford a whole ass house or a trailer for a whole lot less.

Rents are up something like 16% nationwide. "Affordable" is $1200 or lower. Tell me of a minimum wage job that gets you rent for a $1200 apartment....even a $900 one? A $700 one?

JLova

Veteran
Daps
These stories don't make sense. People don't have to live in cities. They can relocate to smaller cities and rural areas where rent is more affordable. If she drove that big ass truck to a small ass town she might be able to afford a whole ass house or a trailer for a whole lot less.

This is a simple solution for young folk, but not sure about older folk.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Rents are up something like 16% nationwide. "Affordable" is $1200 or lower. Tell me of a minimum wage job that gets you rent for a $1200 apartment....even a $900 one? A $700 one?

Affordable is relative to where you live. The rent San Francisco is considerably higher than the rent in Meridian, Mississippi. You can get a whole ass 3 bedroom apartment in Meridian Mississippi for less than $1,000.00. You can get a one bedroom apartment for $700.00.

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Mississippi/Meridian/Oak-Manor-Apartment-Homes/100016505/

Why are people like you advocating that people try to live in cities that they can not afford? The lady in the story gets disability of around $800.00 per month. She sleeps in her car with a dog in Phoenix, because she can not afford an apartment. What is wrong with me pointing out that her money could go further by moving to a more affordable place in a smaller town like Jackson or Meridian, Mississippi or some of those small towns around those cities?

You all are pie in the sky. You are not practical and are unreasonable. You think that the government can or should step in to fix the problem, but in order to fix the problem of homelessness in the cities the working poor will have to be taxed if the federal government does not step in. A more reasonable solution is that people should move to cities and towns that they can afford to live in. That is not a slap in the face to them. That is reality. If I can not afford to live in a neighborhood in my city then I will have to move to a neighborhood in my city that I can afford or I will have to hit the burbs.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I doubt the average person let alone a homeless person has the means to up and leave they current situation
And what are the jobs looking like in small towns

What does the job situation look like where they are at? It can't be that good if they are homeless. Just like people left small towns to go to big cities for jobs, they can also leave the cities to return to small towns to have a quality of life. There has to be some quality to life otherwise what is the point.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Affordable is relative to where you live. The rent San Francisco is considerably higher than the rent in Meridian, Mississippi. You can get a whole ass 3 bedroom apartment in Meridian Mississippi for less than $1,000.00. You can get a one bedroom apartment for $700.00.

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Mississippi/Meridian/Oak-Manor-Apartment-Homes/100016505/

Why are people like you advocating that people try to live in cities that they can not afford? The lady in the story gets disability of around $800.00 per month. She sleeps in her car with a dog in Phoenix, because she can not afford an apartment. What is wrong with me pointing out that her money could go further by moving to a more affordable place in a smaller town like Jackson or Meridian, Mississippi or some of those small towns around those cities?

You all are pie in the sky. You are not practical and are unreasonable. You think that the government can or should step in to fix the problem, but in order to fix the problem of homelessness in the cities the working poor will have to be taxed if the federal government does not step in. A more reasonable solution is that people should move to cities and towns that they can afford to live in. That is not a slap in the face to them. That is reality. If I can not afford to live in a neighborhood in my city then I will have to move to a neighborhood in my city that I can afford or I will have to hit the burbs.

Don't come at me breh. I'm all for medium and small cities needing more people. I'm just saying it's much more complex than "rent". Even affordable rent.

So where the money for down payment? Security deposit? Furniture? Utilities? Food?!

Yes there's $700 apartments but that's only a part of the story. And even with that, you aren't even making that at minimum wage.

Also, $1200 is national average for a 1 bedroom.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Don't come at me breh. I'm all for medium and small cities needing more people. I'm just saying it's much more complex than "rent". Even affordable rent.

So where the money for down payment? Security deposit? Furniture? Utilities? Food?!

Yes there's $700 apartments but that's only a part of the story. And even with that, you aren't even making that at minimum wage.

Also, $1200 is national average for a 1 bedroom.

Were are they finding all of that money for security deposit in cities that they can't even afford to live in? Where are they finding money for furniture, utilities and food in Frisco, L.A. or NYC?

You quoted that the average is $1,200.00 which clearly means that there are a lot of places below that average. I literally just showed you that a one bedroom apartment in Meridian is $700.00. Minimum wage nationally is $7.25 per hour. Now I don't know what kind of math you learned in school, but that equals $1,160.00 per month for full time worker.

I don't understand why people are hesitant to relocate when they can't afford to live someplace. If you can't afford one neighborhood then you move to a neighborhood that you can afford. That is just common sense. It is just that straight forward, but I don't want local government raising local taxes to help build more housing for poor people if the end result is that local taxes will have to continue to go up to maintain that crap which means that more people will end up in homelessness.

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia
@Atlrocafella what constitutes a broke women?? how much money do they need to be making to not be considered broke??
It’s not about how much they make because they can have a lot of debt/bad spending habits that keep them broke.

they should be able to live comfortable with a healthy savings/checking account. Have their own living place and transportation.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
two broke people can sometimes make a decent way together, but there are some absolute no-nos. if a woman has $200k in student loan debt from university of phoenix, you have to let her go. i dont give a damn how great she is or how fine she is, you absolutely do not get entangled in that.

What if one person makes 10 dollars an hour and the other person makes 15 dollars an hour?? Would they be able to make it work??

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
What if one person makes 10 dollars an hour and the other person makes 15 dollars an hour?? Would they be able to make it work??
yeah, but in a very rough part of town. best if childless but they could even have a kid. i know many people in a similar description who are juggling that, but there is an exception: the more kids they have, the more they lean on the kid's grandparents to help. you do need grandparents if you are going to try it with kids.

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
The homeless problem here in Denver is INSANE!

Straight up tent cities in public parks and on sidewalks.

And alot of the increasing number of homeless are Black...

13% of the population nationally and 44% of the homeless.
:snoop:

But let the coli tell it homelessness is a white people problem.
The lies ya'll spill in here. The coli has never said homelessness doesn't affect black people

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I don't disagree with anything that you wrote. Small towns definitely have drawbacks that people in bigger cities would never understand. You are right there is a lot of conveniences that you don't have in small towns.

My point was that there are affordable houses in this country. It might not be convenient for the elderly and you are more likely to be underemployed or underpaid in small towns. With all that said I would still think that life is better paying $600.00 a month for rent in a house in Chattahoochie, Mississippi, with the nearest Wal Mart being 15 miles away than living in a truck in hot ass Phoenix, Arizona, with my stanking dog.

Put aside the convenience food or entertainment, the problem with a lot of small towns is the “underpaid” part is how you get stuck there instead of joining 6 cert gang. You save money with 600 rent but making 900 a month means you don’t have the money to buy 150.00 text books or money to drive hours away for training.

That’s always what made bigger cities more attractive. Yeah, you can come in at the bottom but it’s possible to climb because of how the city is structured. ( subway or buses across the city)( more public assistance programs because of the tax base)

Same reason McConnell will attack NY’s public transit spending while his state can’t even get internet access to rural Kentucky as a priority.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Were are they finding all of that money for security deposit in cities that they can't even afford to live in? Where are they finding money for furniture, utilities and food in Frisco, L.A. or NYC?

You quoted that the average is $1,200.00 which clearly means that there are a lot of places below that average. I literally just showed you that a one bedroom apartment in Meridian is $700.00. Minimum wage nationally is $7.25 per hour. Now I don't know what kind of math you learned in school, but that equals $1,160.00 per month for full time worker.

I don't understand why people are hesitant to relocate when they can't afford to live someplace. If you can't afford one neighborhood then you move to a neighborhood that you can afford. That is just common sense. It is just that straight forward, but I don't want local government raising local taxes to help build more housing for poor people if the end result is that local taxes will have to continue to go up to maintain that crap which means that more people will end up in homelessness.

Wages are also below average in those towns as well. Again. The issue is nationwide. Also compound this with things like the opioid crisis and lack of mental health services and we're in the situation we're in.

Homelessness isn't even as simple as gun violence. Which is very much so a "If kids don't have guns they can't shoot up schools".

Homelessness isn't a "if they have jobs they have a home". Or " if they live in a small city they can afford it."

Most people aren't homeless out of laziness or ineptitude or stubbornness. The answers isn't even "affordable housing". It's many solutions that need to work in concert. And ALL of it would take money/taxes to work.

If that means Bezos can't go to the moon this year for it...then so be it.