“Dudes gotta stop congregating outside of gas stations..just making everyone uncomfortable.” Is this anti-black?

Paradoxx

All Star
Daps
:francis: I don’t think it is but at the same time I have taken care of a lot old and young black people in the ER that had an altercation at a gas station.

The story always starts at “hanging out with friends at a 7/11, Wawa or Mobile” and then it ends the same way. With someone getting shot at or stabbed.

The worst had to be the black homeless man that got stabbed 45 times and it was over a cup of change too….

Last edited:

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Well that’s pretty annoying. Why are you blocking pumps?

That being said- we are referring to men LOITERING

This is how I feel, but in NYC it's the corner stores. How much of a bum are you that the only thing you can do is chill out by the bodega ALL DAY?

^^^ @Wildin

The point is why are people loitering? Why are people hanging around places of business? It’s not a damn park.

Can someone explain the appeal of hanging out in front of a business?

They don't got back yards?

And this case is all too familiar: It calls to mind the spate of nationally reported killings of unarmed black men and boys, often by white police officers, over the last six years. But it's also reminiscent of a longer American history of doing violence to black men for the "crime" of being out in public. Arbery's death resembles nothing so much as lynchings conducted in the name of vagrancy laws, Jim Crow-era legislation crafted to create an endless supply of excuses to harass African Americans and even arrest them, jail them, and profit from their labor.

"We have the power to pass stringent laws to govern Negroes — this is a blessing — for they must be controlled in some way or white people cannot live among them," said one Alabama planter in the post-Civil War era. The Jim Crow "black codes" were indeed stringent. "Nine Southern states adopted vagrancy laws," writes Michelle Alexander in The New Jim Crow, "which selectively made it a criminal offense not to work and were applied selectively to blacks."...

While the classic vagrancy law required proof of employment, some of these measures also included "loitering" as an offense. An 1866 Georgia law banned "wandering or strolling about in idleness." Kentucky enacted "laws which allowed persons guilty of 'keeping a disorderly house, loitering, or rambling without a job' to be arrested and bound out to the highest bidder for a year's service."

And like most vagrancy laws more broadly, anti-loitering laws were race-neutral on paper. In practice, they gave police a reason to arrest black people, especially black men, simply for their public presence as opposed to any specific criminal act. The concept of vagrancy, including loitering, as a criminal offense was also used by racist vigilantes to justify lynching.

And, no, them nikkas out front the gas station or bodega don't have "back yards." Is that a serious question? :skip:

When I have known ppl who chilled in front the store, very long ago, they were usually unhoused, possibly staying with somebody. They don't have nowhere to be.

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
And this case is all too familiar: It calls to mind the spate of nationally reported killings of unarmed black men and boys, often by white police officers, over the last six years. But it's also reminiscent of a longer American history of doing violence to black men for the "crime" of being out in public. Arbery's death resembles nothing so much as lynchings conducted in the name of vagrancy laws, Jim Crow-era legislation crafted to create an endless supply of excuses to harass African Americans and even arrest them, jail them, and profit from their labor.

"We have the power to pass stringent laws to govern Negroes — this is a blessing — for they must be controlled in some way or white people cannot live among them," said one Alabama planter in the post-Civil War era. The Jim Crow "black codes" were indeed stringent. "Nine Southern states adopted vagrancy laws," writes Michelle Alexander in The New Jim Crow, "which selectively made it a criminal offense not to work and were applied selectively to blacks."...

While the classic vagrancy law required proof of employment, some of these measures also included "loitering" as an offense. An 1866 Georgia law banned "wandering or strolling about in idleness." Kentucky enacted "laws which allowed persons guilty of 'keeping a disorderly house, loitering, or rambling without a job' to be arrested and bound out to the highest bidder for a year's service."

And like most vagrancy laws more broadly, anti-loitering laws were race-neutral on paper. In practice, they gave police a reason to arrest black people, especially black men, simply for their public presence as opposed to any specific criminal act. The concept of vagrancy, including loitering, as a criminal offense was also used by racist vigilantes to justify lynching.

And, no, them nikkas out front the gas station or bodega don't have "back yards." Is that a serious question? :skip:

When I have known ppl who chilled in front the store, very long ago, they were usually unhoused, possibly staying with somebody. They don't have nowhere to be.
It took to that many words to say let bums be bums? :russ:

Giselle

Daps

How is it anti black if no one mentioned race? And I don’t see tweets calling it anti black either

No one should be loitering around anywhere. They should find an actual place meant for socializing to socialize

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
How is it anti black if no one mentioned race? And I don’t see tweets calling it anti black either

No one should be loitering around anywhere. They should find an actual place meant for socializing to socialize
Anti loitering laws in this country have ALWAYS been anti black. Receipts in my last post.

I'm shocked that ppl apparently don't know this...?

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Anti loitering laws in this country have ALWAYS been anti black. Receipts in my last post.

I'm shocked that ppl apparently don't know this...?
This video breaks down your post perfectly:

Some people only have a surface level of thinking unfortunately. I’m anti-dusty behaivor but I also understand the conditions that created that environment.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
I know there are some corner spots uptown that you avoid because of brehs quote unquote "loitering". :russ:

Like someone said it's not anti-black but anti-dust

:mjlol: If I didn't go places cuz nikkas be there, I'd have very few places to go.

Incidentally, nikkas in front the store have saved me several times from stumbling in on some shyt that wasn't my concern. :usure:

peppe

Superstar
Daps
we don't have that at gas stations but we have that at the train station. There are 2 ATM in the whole city and one of them is at the train station. Everytime i'm trying to get my money out grimey arabs be looking.

Like do these sand nikkas wake up and be like let's go to the train station and hall all day