Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
As a New Yorker who grew up in the 80's the Caribbean influence was not significant. Most people from the islands are in Brooklyn. Unless they're fresh off the boat they're usually Americanized. Hip Hop is African American culture as most black people in NY have southern roots especially in Harlem.

Musically where is the Caribbean influence in early hip hop? It was James Brown, break beats, funk, disco, and soul which are all American. The only reggae song I knew as a kid was "Pass the Dutchie." It wasn't until Shelly Thunder or Shabba Ranks did reggae/dancehall pick up in NY.

Clearly Hip Hop is not an offshoot of Reggae, my question is moreso whether so many people of Caribbean descent being arbiters of the NY Hip Hop culture has created a fundamental disconnect in culture between the New York/Tri-State scene and the scenes virtually everywhere else in the country.

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Too Short isn't G Funk, but you're not gon tell me you don't see the influence in this

vs

That Too Short track came out back in '83

Toddy Tee and Mixmaster Spade influenced Short. The Westcoast sound is based off Bernie Worrell (Funkadelic/Parliment) Bass Synth sound.

The Difference between Bay/LA old school sound is that, LA artist hired professional musician to play while Too Short played a simple basic rhythm themselves.

Too Short on the Keyborad.

Ice T using a profession keyboard player.

Last edited:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
This is False.

Name a 90s rap album/artist that DIDN'T incorporate Patois/reggae/dancehall interplotation in their music?
Nas, Brand Nubian, Busta Rhymes, ATCQ, Smif and Wesson, Black Moon, Mobb Deep, Notorious BIG, Jay-Z, 2Pac, gangstarr, mos def,
I can literally go and and on about this.

Even today: Drake, meek, etc does it. It's prob just going over your head.

One interesting example of this is Kevin Gates... he has a number of songs with obvious Caribbean influence (which is not suprising considering that he's Puerto Rican) and on top of that he's one of the only mainstream Southern rappers who clearly sounds like he's influenced in part by the NYC sound/culture.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
One interesting example of this is Kevin Gates... he has a number of songs with obvious Caribbean influence (which is not suprising considering that he's Puerto Rican) and on top of that he's one of the only mainstream Southern rappers of this culture who clearly sounds like he's influenced in part by the NYC sound/culture.

Exactly. Hip Hop is NOT just african american culture. Its Afram and Carribean culture. You can not separate the two. I'm 31 years old. Born and raised in NY(Jamaican parents) and later moved to Miami (also influenced by reggae dancehall. Luke is Jamaican. It's also a fact that miami bass music influenced ATL beats/instrumentals.)

NY= More of the Reggae/Ragga/Rasta influence
Miami = More of the dancehall influence.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Toddy Tee and Mixmaster Spade influenced Short. The Westcoast sound is based of Bernie Worrell (Funkadelic/Parliment) Bass Synth sound.

The Difference between Bay/LA old school sound is that, LA artist hired professional musician to play while Too Short played a simple basic rhythm themselves.

Too Short on the Keyborad.

Ice T using a profession keyboard player.

I agree that Parliament/George Clinton/Funkadelic is the influence on the West Coast sound, I disagree that Toddy Tee and Mixmaster Spade/King Tee were influencing Short. If anything, it was the other way around.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
:mjlol::mjlol:Where did this myth of Caribbean influence start?
How old are you?
Do your research
Also, most NY rappers and black people in general have carrib backgrounds.
Name a NY 90s rap album/artist that DIDN'T incorporate Patois/reggae/dancehall interplotation in their music?
Nas, Brand Nubian, Busta Rhymes, ATCQ, Smif and Wesson, Black Moon, BCC, Mobb Deep, Notorious BIG, Jay-Z, 2Pac, gangstarr, mos def, Das EFx, Redman, Method Man, Pete rock, Lil kim, Foxy, The Lost Boyz, Jeru The Damaja, The Fugees,KRS one , heavy d, etc
Too many to name.

I can literally go and and on about this. Many of these artists are from Carrib backgrounds.

If you not from NY, or grew up listening to 70s/80s/90s reggae, or have carrib parents/fam/friends you prob WONT get many of the lyrical references and sample interplotations.

Reggae dancehall also gave birth to miami bass music scene, which then influenced ATL. Uncle Luke is Jamaican BTW...

Last edited:

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Do your research
Also, most NY rappers and black people in general have carribbean backgrounds.

If you not from NY, or grew up listening to 70s/80s/90s reggae, or have carrib parents/fam/friends you prob WONT get many of the lyrical references and sample interplotations.

Reggae dancehall also gave birth to miami bass music scene, which then influenced ATL. Uncle Luke is Jamaican BTW...

Maybe in BK, but not in the South Bronx.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Maybe in BK, but not in the South Bronx.
No the Bronx as well. Many are 2nd, 3rd, and now even 4th generation.

But again the Carrib influence in ny hip hop in the 80s/90s was HEAVY. Singles and Albums.
again:
Name a NY 90s rap album/artist that DIDN'T incorporate Patois/reggae/dancehall interplotation in their music?
Nas, Brand Nubian, Busta Rhymes, ATCQ, Smif and Wesson, Black Moon, BCC, Mobb Deep, Notorious BIG, Jay-Z, 2Pac, gangstarr, mos def, Das EFx, Redman, Method Man, Pete rock, Lil kim, Foxy, The Lost Boyz, Jeru The Damaja, The Fugees ,KRS one, Heavy D, Salt and Pepa, etc. Too many to name.

I can literally go and and on about this. Many of these artists are from Carrib backgrounds.
nikka FUNKMASTER FLEX IS JAMAICAN. His rotation on hot 97 in the 90s:krs:

How old are you?
Do your research
Also, most NY rappers and black people in general have carrib backgrounds.

Last edited:

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
I'm 28, a slight interpolation doesn't mean much. And if you saying most Black in the South Bronx are of Caribbean descent I can't take you serious.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
I'm 28, a slight interpolation doesn't mean much. And if you saying most Black in the South Bronx are of Caribbean descent I can't take you serious.
You completely ignored everything I wrote.
nikka i can't take you serious. First of all I said the BRONX.

Most Jamaican's that moved to the south bronx:scust: in the 70s/80s ended up moving to the Northern Bronx or Queens. That's how Yardies stay. When we come up we may have no choice but to live in the hoods/ghetto, but the majority do what they can to make it out of those areas.

Im turning 32 in less than 2 months. 28 is still kinda young to know and experience what I'm talking about. Also brahs of carrib descent can usually recognize another brah of carrib descent. Most AA's usually can't recognize a 2nd/3rd generation carrib, unless they tell them!:umad:

I didn't even start with the 2000's New York rappers of carrib descent (Dipset, G-unit, Fab, etc)

Last edited: