Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Actually
Hip Hop in general started to decline once the Jamaican, carribbean, Islam/NOI/5% influence left the music.

When you say "decline" I take it you mean that the culture got watered down.

SMH always the same insecure poster trying to discredit the Jamaican and carribbean influence in EVERY THREAD like this. THinking that because he post some book with a narrative that supports his view on the matter is the end all. GTFOH!

What would you say the extent of the Caribbean influence in Hip Hop is/was?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
absolutely. Meaning the soul of hip hop is gone.

Are you specifically talking about the New York scene becoming watered down via corporate takeover or are you saying that the rest of the country watered the culture down?

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Are you specifically talking about the New York scene becoming watered down via corporate takeover or are you saying that the rest of the country watered the culture down?
Both
New York was definitely watered down by the corporate take over. Once the corporate takeover was in the effect, they did with real hip hop in the south (goodie mobb, outkast, scarface, etc). They phased out that sound and replaced it with the southern c00ns we see today.

Mr. Negative

Illumination, awesome. Interpretation; awkward
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
east coast's so-called "disconnect", comes not only from the caribbean influence.... just like Florida was a mix of island dancehall/bass and southern rap for what it was.....

but also the Harlem Renaissance and the Cocaine 80's.

Other regions don't have that.

You gotta remember, each region's primary sound is influenced by 3 things: The music of the area it's built off, the verbal communication of the people of the region, and damn near most importantly...

the blending at the borders where the music of other regions bleed in.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
G Funk is a specific subgenre in LA... if by "the birth of G Funk" you mean the introduction of P-Funk into Hip Hop then I disagree, Too $hort was doing it years earlier including on his first LP.

To me, that doesn't sound like G Funk. It sounds like early 80's hip hop particularly from that west coast 84 Breakin' movie era Similar to on the east like White lines, The Message, & Planet Rock. G Funk to me is a more distinct sound

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
If anything there was a more pronounced Carolinian (Afram) influence. Somehow the history got tangled/basterdized into people only knowing about Herc/Baam/Flash when there were many other's before them. The Carolinian influence is much bigger and goes back further.

Coke La Rock

one of the founders of the black spades and predated Herc, Disco King Mario

another black spades member, Kool D

Pete DJ Jones, taught flash Disco dj'ing and predated Herc

YEkY7ri.jpg

Grandmaster Flowers, another legend

Herc like ........:rudy:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
east coast's so-called "disconnect", comes not only from the caribbean influence.... just like Florida was a mix of island dancehall/bass and southern rap for what it was.....

but also the Harlem Renaissance and the Cocaine 80's.

Other regions don't have that.

You gotta remember, each region's primary sound is influenced by 3 things: The music of the area it's built off, the verbal communication of the people of the region, and damn near most importantly...

the blending at the borders where the music of other regions bleed in.

What do you mean by other regions didn't experience the Cocaine 80s?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
To me, that doesn't sound like G Funk. It sounds like early 80's hip hop particularly from that west coast 84 Breakin' movie era Similar to on the east like White lines, The Message, & Planet Rock. G Funk to me is a more distinct sound

Too Short isn't G Funk, but you're not gon tell me you don't see the influence in this

vs

That Too Short track came out back in '83

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a New Yorker who grew up in the 80's the Caribbean influence was not significant. Most people from the islands are in Brooklyn. Unless they're fresh off the boat they're usually Americanized. Hip Hop is African American culture as most black people in NY have southern roots especially in Harlem.

Musically where is the Caribbean influence in early hip hop? It was James Brown, break beats, funk, disco, and soul which are all American. The only reggae song I knew as a kid was "Pass the Dutchie." It wasn't until Shelly Thunder or Shabba Ranks did reggae/dancehall pick up in NY.

Mr. Negative

Illumination, awesome. Interpretation; awkward
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
What do you mean by other regions didn't experience the Cocaine 80s?

They didn't have the upper higher class glitz and shine of the cocaine 80s in their music. The glam rock and Blondies and KraftWerks and Studio 54s.

Florida didn't so much incorporate it

The West Coast glamorized it in another way

The South was decimated by it outside of nihilism

East Coast had folks dressing like T Rex in an effort to get in those self-same clubs. Kurtis Blow and Coke La Rock folks with "Ski" in their name.

It's where the money was. Folks were trying to cross over before there was an actual term for it. It started in the park, but the money was where the coke was.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
They didn't have the upper higher class glitz and shine of the cocaine 80s in their music. The glam rock and Blondies and KraftWerks and Studio 54s.

Florida didn't so much incorporate it

The West Coast glamorized it in another way

The South was decimated by it outside of nihilism

East Coast had folks dressing like T Rex in an effort to get in those self-same clubs. Kurtis Blow and Coke La Rock folks with "Ski" in their name.

It's where the money was. Folks were trying to cross over before there was an actual term for it. It started in the park, but the money was where the coke was.

I see what you're saying now. The coke club scene (not talking about crack) was huge though in Frisco and LA in the 80s, not to mention Miami. The main difference though I guess is that a lot more black folks in NYC were up on that.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
As a New Yorker who grew up in the 80's the Caribbean influence was not significant. Most people from the islands are in Brooklyn. Unless they're fresh off the boat they're usually Americanized. Hip Hop is African American culture as most black people in NY have southern roots especially in Harlem.

Musically where is the Caribbean influence in early hip hop? It was James Brown, break beats, funk, disco, and soul which are all American. The only reggae song I knew as a kid was "Pass the Dutchie." It wasn't until Shelly Thunder or Shabba Ranks did reggae/dancehall pick up in NY.
This is False.

Name a 90s rap album/artist that DIDN'T incorporate Patois/reggae/dancehall interplotation in their music?
Nas, Brand Nubian, Busta Rhymes, ATCQ, Smif and Wesson, Black Moon, BCC, Mobb Deep, Notorious BIG, Jay-Z, 2Pac, gangstarr, mos def, Das EFx, Redman, Method Man, Pete rock, Lil kim, Foxy, The Lost Boyz, 50 cent, Jeru The Damaja, The Fugees, KRS One

I can literally go and and on about this. Many of these artists are from Carrib backgrounds.

Even today: Drake, meek, etc does it. It's prob just going over your head.

Last edited: