Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
As a New Yorker who grew up in the 80's the Caribbean influence was not significant. Most people from the islands are in Brooklyn. Unless they're fresh off the boat they're usually Americanized. Hip Hop is African American culture as most black people in NY have southern roots especially in Harlem.

Musically where is the Caribbean influence in early hip hop? It was James Brown, break beats, funk, disco, and soul which are all American. The only reggae song I knew as a kid was "Pass the Dutchie." It wasn't until Shelly Thunder or Shabba Ranks did reggae/dancehall pick up in NY.
extremely accurate post.
The caribbean influence is revisionist history at its best
Im born and raised in the south bronx. The bronx was never heavy on caribbean culture outside puerto rican culture

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Are we forgetting how common it was to hear tunes like this on Hot 97 (Funk Flex is a yardie) in the 90s?

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
extremely accurate post.
The caribbean influence is revisionist history at its best
Im born and raised in the south bronx. The bronx was never heavy on caribbean culture outside puerto rican culture

How old are you?
We know that carribs don't stay in the SOUTH bronx today. Most migrated to northern areas of the bronx and queens. How can you say that the Bronx doesn't have a heavy carrib population? Today its in Northern Bronx

My pops was born in Jamaica. My mom was born in the South Bronx (Jamaican and Puerto Rican parents). I was born in Queens my dude. This is typical for jamaican americans. NO WAY ARE WE STAYING IN THE SOUTH BRONX. The south bronx in the 70's did have a significant carrib presence. but again, we move out the first chance we get. Carribs are not coming to America to remain in these areas.
You completely ignored everything I wrote.
nikka i can't take you serious. First of all I said the BRONX.

Most Jamaican's that moved to the south bronx:scust: in the 70s/80s ended up moving to the Northern Bronx or Queens. That's how Yardies stay. When we come up we may have no choice but to live in the hoods/ghetto, but the majority do what they can to make it out of those areas.

Im turning 32 in less than 2 months. 28 is still kinda young to know and experience what I'm talking about. Also brahs of carrib descent can usually recognize another brah of carrib descent. Most AA's usually can't recognize a 2nd/3rd generation carrib, unless they tell them!:umad:

I didn't even start with the 2000's New York rappers/singers of carrib descent (Dipset, G-unit, Fab, Nicki Minaj, dame dash, rihanna, etc)[/QUOte

Last edited:

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Last edited:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
A little off topic, but how many knew Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather are of Jamaican descent?
Kerry Washington? Alicia Keys? Naomi Campbell, etc?
40 Black Celebrities You May Not Have Known Were of Jamaican Descent - Atlanta Black Star

Even gay ass Tyga :scust:

Point is: we out chea. Whether yall like it or not. Most of the times AA's can't distinguish an AA from a Caribb. Case and point. But we can....
:mjlol::martin::mjlol:

Like most of these list completely inaccurate. Caribbeans fight for Malcolm X to be recognized as caribbean. A man whose mother is only half grenadian so:yeshrug:

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
:mjlol::martin::mjlol:

Like most of these list completely inaccurate. Caribbeans fight for Malcolm X to be recognized as caribbean. A man whose mother is only half grenadian so:yeshrug:
I don't but Malcolms father was a member of the UNIA started by MARCUS GARVEY (Jamaican).
The NOI leader today is Farrakhan (half Jamaican/Half bajan).:umad:

This list IS accurate and widely known info for years.
The other list your referring to is a list compiled by Mediafakeout, so we already know that it isn't credible.

You still didn't answer: How old are you?

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
NYC rappers make "head music" for headphones...that you wear while walking or riding the train.
Other regions make music for driving to the store, places you can walk. You need big speakers and bass...chanting. Nobody is listening to the words. Words came later for other regions because they had a car culture before rap.

Dreadknox77

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Chronixxx and Ebro kinda talk about the relationship in this interview. Starts around 9:40

FeloniousMonk

Dont mind me..Im a azzhole
Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
I don't think the disconnect is because that. If it was then ny hip hop would sound more like dancehall, grime, toronto.
This I feel is false, for the fact being the difference between, whats influenced and whats listened to.

If thats the case DJ's Kool Herc etc would had been spinning dancehall tracks/riddm's and not disco and funk beats in the 70's.

Dancehall is a west indian culture, not American.

Its also another reason why many emcees in the 80's and 90's would INCLUDE a dancehall track on their hip hop album.

To pay homage to the culture AND their heritage.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Hip hop was not caribbean influenced in any way, shape, or form.
Stop trying to add yourselves to the narrative...your heritage is not part of the art form outside of emulation, collaboration, and somebody's dna. That's it.
False. Read the entire thread.
Are you from NY? How long did you live there?
Also is the dominican republic and puerto rico NOT in the carribbean? I listed the west indian carrib influence. I didn't even get to PR/DR.

Name a 90s rap album/artist that DIDN'T incorporate Patois/reggae/dancehall interplotation in their music?
Nas, Brand Nubian, Busta Rhymes, ATCQ, Smif and Wesson, Black Moon, BCC, Mobb Deep, Notorious BIG, Jay-Z, 2Pac, gangstarr, mos def, Das EFx, Redman, Method Man, Pete rock & CL Smooth, Lil kim, Foxy, The Lost Boyz, 50 cent, Jeru The Damaja, The Fugees, KRS One, Heavy D, Salt and Pepper, CNN, etc

I can literally go and and on about this. Many of these artists are from Carrib backgrounds.

Even today: Drake, meek, etc does it. It's prob just going over your head.

To ignore this, is like ignoring soul music samples in Hip Hop music. Age is important in this discussion. I LIVED through this era. In 90s NY listening to hot 97, every other song was Patois/reggae/jamaican/carrib influenced. Yes SINGLES on the radio, being played by a Jamaican DJ (FMF).
If you didn't grow up in that era/live in NY at the time:camby:

Last edited: