Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
You must be upset that y'all only contribution to music is derived from AMERICAN R&B.
"Toasting" = emulating AMERICAN deejays talking jive talk over the air.
The little shyt y'all folks made still came from us.
I guess reggae is original because y'all added some "mento" "riddim" to already written R&B standards from the 40s and 50s...riiiiiiiiiiiiiight?
Y'all didn't create hip hop. You didn't contribute to it. It has nothing to do with your home island. Incorporating dancehall "styling" after....modern dancehall emulated rap and took the singing out of the delivery, right?
Don't ask me anything about my personal life trying to hype your people up. Y'all get taken to task EVERY DAY.
Stop trying to rewrite history, you weren't there....I wasn't, either.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
You must be upset that y'all only contribution to music is derived from AMERICAN R&B.
"Toasting" = emulating AMERICAN deejays talking jive talk over the air.
The little shyt y'all folks made still came from us.
I guess reggae is original because y'all added some "mento" "riddim" to already written R&B standards from the 40s and 50s...riiiiiiiiiiiiiight?
Y'all didn't create hip hop. You didn't contribute to it. It has nothing to do with your home island. Incorporating dancehall "styling" after....modern dancehall emulated rap and took the singing out of the delivery, right?
Don't ask me anything about my personal life trying to hype your people up. Y'all get taken to task EVERY DAY.
Stop trying to rewrite history, you weren't there....I wasn't, either.

Name a 90s rap album/artist that DIDN'T incorporate Patois/reggae/dancehall interplotation in their music?
Nas, Brand Nubian, Busta Rhymes, ATCQ, Smif and Wesson, Black Moon, BCC, Mobb Deep, Notorious BIG, Jay-Z, 2Pac, gangstarr, mos def, Das EFx, Redman, Method Man, Pete rock & CL Smooth, Lil kim, Foxy, The Lost Boyz, 50 cent, Jeru The Damaja, The Fugees, KRS One, Heavy D, Salt and Pepper, CNN, etc

Yet no influence?:mjlol:
I can literally go and and on about this. Many of these artists are from Carrib backgrounds.
You nikkas wont address the above, because the second you do, i'm about to drop them links.

Even today: Drake, meek, etc does it. It's prob just going over your head.
False. Read the entire thread.
Are you from NY? How long did you live there?
Also is the dominican republic and puerto rico NOT in the carribbean? I listed the west indian carrib influence. I didn't even get to PR/DR.

To ignore this, is like ignoring soul music samples in Hip Hop music. Age is important in this discussion. I LIVED through this era. In 90s NY listening to hot 97, every other song was Patois/reggae/jamaican/carrib influenced. Yes SINGLES on the radio, being played by a Jamaican DJ (FMF).
If you didn't grow up in that era/live in NY at the time:camby:
]

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
False. Read the entire thread.
Are you from NY? How long did you live there?
Also is the dominican republic and puerto rico NOT in the carribbean? I listed the west indian carrib influence. I didn't even get to PR/DR.

To ignore this, is like ignoring soul music samples in Hip Hop music. Age is important in this discussion. I LIVED through this era. In 90s NY listening to hot 97, every other song was Patois/reggae/jamaican/carrib influenced. Yes SINGLES on the radio, being played by a Jamaican DJ (FMF).
If you didn't grow up in that era/live in NY at the time:camby:
The reason why dancehall started popping was because of Red Alert, and Dancehall being a Jamaican version of rap. If you grew up in NYC in the 80's and 90's, you know this. You can easily blend a danehall track with rap because they both focused on drums. No other music did that besides the new jack swing era.

As far as Caribbean being the influence on east coast rap, that would sound true if damn near every song sampled wasn't from James Brown or some other southern music from the 60's,70's. Let's not make shyt up.

Most of these rappers may have caribbean parents, but most of them don't incorporate it into their styles. The only time I will say Jamaican did influence rap, and it was from brooklyn mostly, it was in the late 80's with the bally's, silk suites, and travel fox. Everything else is American NYC style.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
The complex that SOME AA's has on this matter is :mjlol:
Every artist I posted above I can post a reggae/dancehall influence tracks. Patois, Lyrics, instrumentals, and samples. Yet these nikkas will say " there is NO carrib influence":heh:

I can even post links proving that many of these artists are of carrib descent. Again these nikkas will still be like " bu, bu, but there is NO carrib influence, its AA culture":snoop:

NY hip hop is a melting pot. It's AA/Carrib (PR included. DR too, even tho they came later) influenced.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I don't but Malcolms father was a member of the UNIA started by MARCUS GARVEY (Jamaican).

This list IS accurate and widely known info for years.

List isn't accurate. I posted on Alicia Keys before (repost)

Alicia Keys (Father from Jamaica)

Na...she addressed this because the false internet rumor was floating around

A lot of people believe I'm part Jamaican, though I'm not. I'm definitely black and Italian and a little Irish or Scottish

http://www.startribune.com/more-keys/18138354/?elr=KArksD:aDyaEP:kD:aUt:aDyaEP:kD:aUiacyKUUr

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The complex that SOME AA's has on this matter is :mjlol:
Every artist I posted above I can post a reggae/dancehall influence tracks. Patois, Lyrics, instrumentals, and samples. Yet these nikkas will say " there is NO carrib influence":heh:

I can even post links proving that many of these artists are of carrib descent. Again these nikkas will still be like " bu, bu, but there is NO carrib influence, its AA culture":snoop:

NY hip hop is a melting pot. It's AA/Carrib (PR included. DR too, even tho they came later) influenced.
You are not being honest with yourself. The influence for most isn't there. Yeah, some slang, a few beats, but that's it, and I'm someone who grew up in the heart of the caribbean in the u.s. known as FLATBUSH. I remember when west indians HATED rap music. Even Krs-One tells the story. "the dreads in brooklyn was CRAZY. You couldn't bring out your set with no hip-hop Because the pistols would go."

No one is denying west indian first, and second generation KIDS, did play a part in hip hop, but to add all this other stuff is not being fair, and honest.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Are we forgetting how common it was to hear tunes like this on Hot 97 (Funk Flex is a yardie) in the 90s?

There were no clear carib/jamaican sounds in in early HipHop. Now for sure, there were Jamaicans/West Indians around but their own heritage was submerged because, Afram culture/music was the dominant force and they wasn't trying to hear West Indian music. This then made the West Indians of the younger generation more "American" in their tastes.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
You are not being honest with yourself. The influence for most is there. Yeah, some slang, a few beats, but that's it, and I'm someone who grew up in the heart of the caribbean in the u.s. known as FLATBUSH. I remember when west indians HATED rap music. Even Krs-One tells the story. "the dreads in brooklyn was CRAZY. You couldn't bring out your set with no hip-hop Because the pistols would go."

No one is denying west indian first, and second generation KIDS, did play a part in hip hop, but to add all this other stuff is not being fair, and honest.
So a rapper being of carib descent isn't going to have some type of influence in they're music? Even if they are rapping in a Jamaican accent? Chatting Patois? on a reggae sample?

Yet theres NO influence?:francis:

Nobodies saying that it's a carrib sound! But to deny that it doesn't have carrib influences, carrib descent rappers, etc is being disingenous.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
There were no clear carib/jamaican sounds in in early HipHop. Now for sure, there were Jamaicans/West Indians around but their own heritage was submerged because, Afram culture/music was the dominant force and they wasn't trying to hear West Indian music. This then made the West Indians of the younger generation more "American" in their tastes.
My dude you missing the point! I'm pointing out the carrib influences in 80s/90s hip hop. It was ALWAYS there.

Where you from? and Age?
My bad on the alicia keys. Floyd Mayweather and Mike Tyson is def of Jamaican descent tho. As well as 90 percent of the list

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
NY in the 1990s. Lord Jamar

I'm glad you posted this because it brings another point. In the late 80's early 90's, it was about black power in the 90's in NYC, and roots reggae helped a lot being that the dreads are about ital food, drinks, they smoke herb, and they had locks, so it was something people who didn't want to live the western way to emulate. Of course it would effect some of the music, but again you can't ignore the tons of music that wasn't like that.

I feel the reason why NYC was separate from the rest was because we thought we the shyt. You want the newest, and best clothes, you go to NYC. You want to party all day, you go to NYC. I used to go down south, and everyone worshiped you because you was from NYC. We just thought we was the shyt, but time proved us wrong.