Disney claims putting their movies on streaming day 1 hurt their future box office sales

Daps
Wait, so saying something ppl can watch for "free" in their own home/home theater, is stopping ppl from going out and spending $60 to take their kids to the movies?

Duhhh

I know multiple people who will wait until the digital release is out for a movie they really want to watch and make an event out of it. I'm talking Husband and Wife will make themselves steaks, and get their kids takeout pizza/candy, and it's still cheaper than taking out a family of 4 to the theater in most cases.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Lightyear was the last animated film I saw. It was ok but I havent cared about any of these films animated movies that have come out the last few years.
They gotta impress their audiences again. One glaring thing that pops out is how much these Pixar films cost in comparison to their rival animated projects.

There’s no reason Elemental should cost $200 million to make when Across the Spider-Verse and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish accomplished their feats for way less. It would be understandable if they were pushing the envelope, but the output is akin to something that came out in the early 2000s.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I said it back when Black Widow tanked that Disney+ wasn't gonna be the way to release these expensive movies. But I don't think that's why Elemental is tanking because Disney has gone away from that release method for the most part.

Maybe people just weren't fukking with Elemental like that? I saw the trailer and it looked meh..

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
I know multiple people who will wait until the digital release is out for a movie they really want to watch and make an event out of it. I'm talking Husband and Wife will make themselves steaks, and get their kids takeout pizza/candy, and it's still cheaper than taking out a family of 4 to the theater in most cases.
Yup just invest in a projector screen get ya setup and essentially it’s the same without overpriced snacks and food

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Waiting for home release is as old as VHS. Disney knew ticket sales would drop with Disney+, they just hoped they'd get enough Disney+ subscription to make up for it. The idea wasn't bad, they just put out a ton crappy shows and movies, and no one had a reason to subscribe after the first few months. Netflix puts out some crap too, but they mix it in with bangers as well. Saw Elemental with my kids today and it was trash. It essentially was a story of an immigrant girl being saved by her new white suburbanite boyfriend. Shyt was painful to watch. Pre-Covid, I took my kids to the movies about once a month. The selection of kids movies ever since has been very slim. So I barely take my kids to the movies once every 3 months.

The movie going experience is top notch today. I have a very nice livingroom surround system; far better than average, but the movie theaters have really stepped up their game. Put out a good movie and folks will go to the theater to see it.

Carrera Lu

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jerz
I believe it. The last film I actually went to a theatre to see was the first Deadpool.