Disney claims putting their movies on streaming day 1 hurt their future box office sales

Spence

Superstar
Daps
It's time for them to admit that everything ain't worth the theaters. Disney+ just exposed all that fodder they made more off of because there wasn't a platform to receive all the crap they put out. Now people look at a movie with a more discerning eye and say that's not worth a trip to the theater for.
It also doesn’t help that there lil $20 upfront charge to early access new movies during the pandemic still came out to wayyyyy less than a trip to the movies.

Plus I would pirate that shyt hours after it dropped for free :heh:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Waiting for something to go straight to video has been a thing since like 1985. Maybe make movies that people think are worth that trip for the family and they can make a billion dollars like spiderman or Mario :ohhh:

The key difference is when things went to video you then had to go out and buy or rent the movie. It was an additional cost. You could take your kids to the movies for 3 dollars a head and see the movie in the theater or wait until the VHS dropped and pay 15 bucks to purchase or get lucky and rent it if a copy was in stock.

Today, people are already paying for D+ so they look at it as “I’m already paying for a service to view Disney content, why should I pay 12 bucks a head to see it in the theater”. The fact that Disney pushed all this Pixar stuff out to D+ has conditioned families to view Pixar material as a D+ product. I still hear parents confused over why some movies are out but they can’t find them on D+. It’s a problem Disney created themselves.

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bad release day, just like Little Mermaid. I know it didnt flop but still it should’ve had way more legs than it did at #1

But fukk all that, just put a damn remove from continue watching feature on Disney+ pathetic they still dont have that

Spence

Superstar
Daps
The key difference is when things went to video you then had to go out and buy or rent the movie. It was an additional cost. You could take your kids to the movies for 3 dollars a head and see the movie in the theater or wait until the VHS dropped and pay 15 bucks to purchase or get lucky and rent it if a copy was in stock.

Today, people are already paying for D+ so they look at it as “I’m already paying for a service to view Disney content, why should I pay 12 bucks a head to see it in the theater”. The fact that Disney pushed all this Pixar stuff out to D+ has conditioned families to view Pixar material as a D+ product. I still hear parents confused over why some movies are out but they can’t find them on D+. It’s a problem Disney created themselves.
Dilute your best production studio brehs :mjlol:

They really truly fkd up with that Lightyear release nobody asked for and then tried to push the lesbian narrative on younger audiences which didn’t track well with the mainstream :heh:

They aren’t invincible, especially post John Lasseter

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The fact that execs say this yet don't do anything to fix the issue tells me there's still a major problem with leadership, or maybe the bad decision making is deliberate. Even films that do well are suffering. Creed 3 was obviously a major success but towards the tail end of the box office run, the studio announced it would go to VOD soon. Which of course killed the last weeks at the box office. I get that the film was a success but I don't understand why the fukk studios continue to train people to expect films immediately after a box office run. They're in a rush to lose money, basically.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The fact that execs say this yet don't do anything to fix the issue tells me there's still a major problem with leadership, or maybe the bad decision making is deliberate. Even films that do well are suffering. Creed 3 was obviously a major success but towards the tail end of the box office run, the studio announced it would go to VOD soon. Which of course killed the last weeks at the box office. I get that the film was a success but I don't understand why the fukk studios continue to train people to expect films immediately after a box office run. They're in a rush to lose money, basically.
It's too late to truly fix the fix the issue as pandora's box has already been opened as those VOD dates aren't going back to what they used to be.

Now what they could do is put them behind a paywall on those streaming services, but they got spooked and pulled back when they initially tried to do it. Someone is going to try it again though.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
They are right :manny: not just them but other services too. I have to really be hyped to go to the theaters now, my stance is usually “I’ll wait for streaming :manny:

Only movies I’ve seen in theaters since the pandemic:

Spiderman No Way Home
The Batman
Wakanda Forever
Scream 6
Spiderman Across The Spider-Verse
I don't think I've been to the theater once since the Pandemic hit. I more or less stopped going to the theater once my local Cinemark went out of business - you used to be able to go there to see movies several weeks after their release for just $1 (eventually went up to $1.50) on a matinee screening. IF you went at night it was only like $2.

There's another theater that popped up that does a similar thing but the seats aren't comfortable and it doesn't have stadium seating. They also have a lot less screens, I think only 8, and during the summer they will often devote 2-4 of them to children's movies because even the concessions are really fukking cheap so it's a good cheap family outing, so I can respect the hustle and the corners they've cut to make it cheap.

For like $12 a ticket it better be something amazing that is really enhanced by seeing it on a big screen in a dark theater, which frankly with the type of stuff I watch that is rare. Otherwise I'd just rather watch it at home where I can pause to go to the bathroom, won't be sitting in a likely freezing theater, and eat and drink whatever I want without having to try to sneak it in because I'm sure as fukk not paying $6 for a small soda that is probably smaller than a 20 oz. bottle.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Theatrical is definitely making more no doubt. My point is more about the access streaming provides which hurts the Theater exclusivity that it used to have. The Theatrical window is very short. Movies used to take months to come on VHS. Joints is out in 30-45 days now, People who missed "Super Mario" can now watch it 2 Months later since it was on the Big Screen. I've seen the movie in those Rent Boxes everywhere already so you know it's on streaming. That's my point. Even though Mario made 1.3 Billion, people could have waited and seen it this quickly. So now that feeling of "I need to see it now" Isn't really there because you honestly don't.
Yeah the quick turnaround from theater to streaming definitely further encourages waiting. Like if you don't get to see something within the first two weeks, it's like "well what's another two weeks to wait at this point?"

I bet if they bumped that window to like 6 months or more after the release date it would encourage more people to go to the theater. Make people wait longer tna the more they will get impatient and go to the theater to see. Then when you got a big release coming to streaming you can make a big deal about it and get it a fresh news cycle.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Yeah the quick turnaround from theater to streaming definitely further encourages waiting. Like if you don't get to see something within the first two weeks, it's like "well what's another two weeks to wait at this point?"

I bet if they bumped that window to like 6 months or more after the release date it would encourage more people to go to the theater. Make people wait longer tna the more they will get impatient and go to the theater to see. Then when you got a big release coming to streaming you can make a big deal about it and get it a fresh news cycle.
the only film I can remember doing a long after streaming release date is TG: Mav

Dropped in May, didn't hit streaming until dec

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I think of something like Dune and The Batman as two movies that if i had to wait 6 months after release to watch on streaming that I probably would have just gone to the theater to see.

Alas what happened? I stayed home and watched them on HBO Max that I would have stayed subscribed to even if I had zero interest in watching those two movies.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Lastly, MoviePass was great before it went down the path of insanity. That one summer I had it I probably saw like 8-10 movies. Had a ton of free time in the summer and very little during the school year working in college athletics, so summer was really the only time I'd want to take the time to go to a theater.

Now these theaters have their own MoviePass thing and require you to sign up for several months at a time if not a whole year and some months there just isn't anything releasing I want to watch. Why am I going to pay $20+ a month for nothing when I can pull up MAX Netflix, etc. for less money with access to a ton fo stuff I do want to watch and I can cancel it whenever I want with no minimum commitment?