Disney claims putting their movies on streaming day 1 hurt their future box office sales

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, huge fall off for the biggest animation studio in the business for over 3 decades. Just saw that they are making a Toy Story 5 :snoop:

I honestly feel like its been downhill since that ousted Lasseter
He’s been back as an executive producer but it’s clear he was the engine to Pixar’s success. Sucks that them charges of him being a total fkn weirdo kind of stains our childhood stories he was behind.

Ralph breaks the internet was his last story and they fired him mid production and it shows greatly.

They need to find someone new with the juice and quick fast! Or else they are going to get mothballed as a Disney division, Iger don’t play that shyt when something or someone isn’t turning a profit.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
People will go to the theater if the movie is worth seeing in the theater. Top Gun: Maverick, No Way Home, Super Mario Brother's, The Batman, etc proved it. I'm betting Oppenheimer, Indiana Jones, and Mission: Impossible will prove it again next month.
Indiana is getting not great reviews

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Indiana is getting not great reviews
Nobody trying to see 97 year old Harrison Ford complain for 2 hours about how he’s too old for any of that shyt :heh:
Crystal skull was bad too so it’s a hangover, they really should’ve given it to Shia Lebouf like they set it up for but they chickened out (and he went fkn full retard :mjlol: )

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Nobody trying to see 97 year old Harrison Ford complain for 2 hours about how he’s too old for any of that shyt :heh:
Crystal skull was bad too so it’s a hangover, they really should’ve given it to Shia Lebouf like they set it up for but they chickened out (and he went fkn full retard :mjlol: )
i gotta say though
seeing him be grumpy as hell in interviews is funny

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
They're correct but I don't feel sorry for them because they are still getting paid by Disney + regardless if it flops in the Theater or not. What you are seeing at the Box Office is Consumers aren't just going for anything and everything anymore. Because they have way more entertainment options than in the past. Streaming has change the game, there no turning back now. This is Napster/Music Industry all over again. Now a "Must See" is a "I'll wait a month or 2". Now don't get it twisted, there were people like that in the past. They would wait for Home Video or VHS. But the Theater Experience was still a very big option for most people.

People are clearly still watching movies on the Big Screen but these numbers aren't getting any better. Again Hollywood is still to blame for the Box Office numbers not really improving post Pandemic. . There have been some average films for years and relying too heavily on Comic/Superhero movies. The bottom line is Theaters survived TV, Home Video even the Internet. But with Steaming, this is a different ball game. So though it took 30 years, The Internet is now effecting the Theater on a different level than before. Having access to that much entertainment at the touch of a finger means the Consumer can basically say, "No I don't have to see it now, I'll see it later".

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I mean Cruise out here still bringing heat. Most of Hollywood ain’t trying to do those Mission Impossible/ Death Race/ Mad Max practical stunt work anymore.

They either just should have done another Young Indiana Jones attempt with a new actor or just let it go.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
They're correct but I don't feel sorry for them because they are still getting paid by Disney + regardless if it flops in the Theater or not. What you are seeing at the Box Office is Consumers aren't just going for anything and everything anymore. Because they have way more entertainment options than in the past. Streaming has change the game, there no turning back now. This is Napster/Music Industry all over again. Now a "Must See" is a "I'll wait a month or 2". Now don't get it twisted, there were people like that in the past. They would wait for Home Video or VHS. But the Theater Experience was still a very big option for most people.

People are clearly still watching movies on the Big Screen but these numbers aren't getting any better. Again Hollywood is still to blame for the Box Office numbers not really improving post Pandemic. . There have been some average films for years and relying too heavily on Comic/Superhero movies. The bottom line is Theaters survived TV, Home Video even the Internet. But with Steaming, this is a different ball game. So though it took 30 years, The Internet is now effecting the Theater on a different level than before. Having access to that much entertainment at the touch of a finger means the Consumer can basically say, "No I don't have to see it now, I'll see it later".
But since we don’t know streaming numbers, it’s objectively hard to say it’s actually doing better or worse than the movies.

if anything it just reinforces how disjointed we all are. Unless there’s a Stranger Things or early Black Mirror that takes over online discussion for weeks, it just feels like this forum. A few sticked subjects running hot for a week then it’s gone to page 3.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I mean Cruise out here still bringing heat. Most of Hollywood ain’t trying to do those Mission Impossible/ Death Race/ Mad Max practical stunt work anymore.

They either just should have done another Young Indiana Jones attempt with a new actor or just let it go.
Shia would’ve held the shyt down just fine. They fumbled the bag :manny:

And yeah practical stunts is why we are about to get Fast and Funnyasfk 11/12/13 :beli:

also the reason John Wick does so well.

Tom knows how to get butts in seats, Top Gun Maverick I’m still pissed I didn’t get to see in theaters but I have my own movie room that does the film Justice :blessed:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
But since we don’t know streaming numbers, it’s objectively hard to say it’s actually doing better or worse than the movies.

if anything it just reinforces how disjointed we all are. Unless there’s a Stranger Things or early Black Mirror that takes over online discussion for weeks, it just feels like this forum. A few sticked subjects running hot for a week then it’s gone to page 3.

Theatrical is definitely making more no doubt. My point is more about the access streaming provides which hurts the Theater exclusivity that it used to have. The Theatrical window is very short. Movies used to take months to come on VHS. Joints is out in 30-45 days now, People who missed "Super Mario" can now watch it 2 Months later since it was on the Big Screen. I've seen the movie in those Rent Boxes everywhere already so you know it's on streaming. That's my point. Even though Mario made 1.3 Billion, people could have waited and seen it this quickly. So now that feeling of "I need to see it now" Isn't really there because you honestly don't.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Theatrical is definitely making more no doubt. My point is more about the access streaming provides which hurts the Theater exclusivity that it used to have. The Theatrical window is very short. Movies used to take months to come on VHS. Joints is out in 30-45 days now, People who missed "Super Mario" can now watch it 2 Months later since it was on the Big Screen. I've seen the movie in those Rent Boxes everywhere already so you know it's on streaming. That's my point. Even though Mario made 1.3 Billion, people could have waited and seen it this quickly. So now that feeling of "I need to see it now" Isn't really there because you honestly don't.
I got what you were saying.

I meant that streaming and theatrical both seem to have short shelf lives. Mario and Avatar 2 makes a billion over two months but Fast X, Creed 3, Antman are on streaming/PVOD in 4 weeks.

The last really hot streaming thing was HOTD on HBOmax.

Maybe it’s time to move away from summer blockbuster season

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I got what you were saying.

I meant that streaming and theatrical both seem to have short shelf lives. Mario and Avatar 2 makes a billion over two months but Fast X, Creed 3, Antman are on streaming/PVOD in 4 weeks.

The last really hot streaming thing was HOTD on HBOmax.

Maybe it’s time to move away from summer blockbuster season
Last really hot streaming thing was The Last of Us. When SNL is basing skits off your show, you know you’re popping off.

This past weekend was a low for the box office but summer blockbuster season ain’t going anywhere. That 4-5 week theatrical to streaming window is like the standard these days unless your film is really bringing in the big bucks. Mario and Avatar 2 James Cameron are basically pop culture royalty and were treated like such with their runs. Not every franchise can be that.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's time for them to admit that everything ain't worth the theaters. Disney+ just exposed all that fodder they made more off of because there wasn't a platform to receive all the crap they put out. Now people look at a movie with a more discerning eye and say that's not worth a trip to the theater for.